FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Before and After Tsunami photos

Author Topic: Before and After Tsunami photos
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
http://homepage.mac.com/demark/tsunami/

That links shows a dozen or so locations before and after the tsunami.

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting that. The first few it's hard to see what is so different, the next few are jaw dropping, and the last 10 my head just started to spin.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Astounded. That's the one word I have to say, more will be worse.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, Indonesia just got hammered. I mean, I knew it had, but those pics just brought it home.

Thanks for the link, Kat.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
The images of Meulaboh were just heartbreaking. It's easy to not really pay attention when they tell you about it on the radio because it's just words--it's too abstract. They can say that whole villages were wiped out, and we can hear that and just think, "Huh, that sucks." But to actually see the images of what that looks like really takes this whole thing out of the abstract and drives into the mind that this is real.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
It's... dizzying...

Everything was washed away... the whole landscape was washed completely away...

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm baffled at those shots where the water is still standing! It didn't even recede, it just took over some of those little islands and peninsulas. [Frown]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] It's so sad. But it reminds me of when, in Simtown, your town starts to go downhill. The houses go from looking nice and clean to being kinda dingy from far up.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
The same with SimCity 4.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Trish, the first few were pics of the water receding just before it hit.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BotaLadyG
Member # 7053

- posted      Profile for BotaLadyG   Email BotaLadyG         Edit/Delete Post 
I am in tears just from the magnitude of the devistation... [Frown]
Posts: 115 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Well, at least now those who did not know - know. What flees in natue, comes back; sometimes with force.

Let us hope that what happened, if ever shall happen again, will be warned and somewhat protected against.

JH

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
That's heartbreaking.

[Frown]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Lady, thanks for posting the link.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
I am deeply sorry for the victims of the tsunami, but I wouldn't trust the pics 100%. There are many bored people in our world who have photoshop.

[ January 18, 2005, 05:11 AM: Message edited by: Beanny ]

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
For the fake ones, you can go to to Snopes.

As for the ones in the URL that Lady Jane presented, they are, in fact, real. Please, save your cynicism for when it's actually warranted.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't criticizing this particular website, I was criticizing the general act of faking photos of disasters (i.e. Nine Eleven).

And I wasn't being cynical. I was being realistic.

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

quote:
I wouldn't trust the pics 100%.
The way you phrased it, it looks like you're talking specifically about the pictures linked in this thread. Please phrase things more carefully in the future.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
" am deeply sorry for the victims of the tsunami, but I wouldn't trust the pics 100%."

Sounds like you are criticizing these pictures.

Yes, people do fake pictures and get some kind of strange thrill from doing so. However, if you watched anything on the news, you would see the actual result of the tsunami on the land, people, and buildings it devastated.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
That's stunning... the last pictures showed how arbitrary the damage was. Certain houses would survive, while the ones next door would be completely gone.

The one that I found most striking was that of the mosque. It's such a beautiful structure before, and it was surrounded by hundreds of houses. Now it looks so dingy, and all the houses are gone.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link, Lady. My kids and I just looked at the pictures and it really, for the first time, brought it all home for me. I'll be upping my contribution to the relief effort...
Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.