FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Regarding laptops, so to speak...

Author Topic: Regarding laptops, so to speak...
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, but it's been a long time since I've frequented Hatrack...

As some of you know, a few months ago, I met an impossibly perfect woman, and fell in love with her. Unfortunately, her poor taste extends to laptops as well as boyfriends, and the Toshiba she's toting around now breaks down more often than a Mexican soap opera.

She needs a new laptop (he said fully aware of the irony) -- and, for that matter, so will I once I head to NYU come August. Any suggestions? I can wait until August, if there's anything particularly revolutionary coming along in the next six months, but she can't -- are there any brands that don't implode upon her touch as this one (the laptop, not me) (well...) does? As much as I'd love to be her only laptop, I understand that she needs a computer -- so, what, Sony? Compaq? HP? Her budget's roughly $1500, more or less depending on how strong your recommendation for that computer, and she doesn't need much more out of it than typical college student usage.

Thanks, kids. I miss you -- hopefully, I'll meet half of you come April.

Any help'd be much appreciated.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd suggest one of the off brand companies. Asus makes a good laptop. Sager makes a pretty good system as well.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Are size and weight significant factors? Does she need it to be svelte?
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

The lighter the better, for her. For me, it doesn't matter. Are there significant variations between laptops, he asked cluelessly?
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

And thanks, Boris -- browsing as we speak.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Massive variations in weight and dimensions. As to actual *advice*, though, since you aren't interested in Apple I can't really offer anything useful. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
IBM used to make a good laptop, but their PC sales division got sold off to some Chinese joint. I don't know if the quality is going to be affected or not.

I second the Asus mention, some of those laptops are mad spiffy.

I saw an ad somewhere for a laptop with a little flip-out remote that interacted with the DVD software. I want to say it was an Asus, but I honestly don't remember.

Alienware sells a $1500 laptop that looks pretty cool.

Avoid laptops with the moniker "desktop replacement", since they tend to be not-so-portable.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't EVER get an Acer. I named mine the Craptop. That should give you an idea. . . [Angst]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
*wonders how Lalo is doing*
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, you got me all excited by bumping this.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.