FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I have tried other forums to no avail....a Java tech question

Author Topic: I have tried other forums to no avail....a Java tech question
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I know this has nothing to do with Books, Film, or culture, but I am really stuck. I have tried three computer forums, and no one has encountered this problem.

I hope some hatrack techies can help [Smile]

Here is my question:

quote:
I have a couple computers that I need to run java based programs off the web. One site is a math manipulative site, anotherer site is for Yahoo's Bounce Out, and another site is for tracking math progress. Both sites require that you have a java environment to use their utilities.

My computers have XP computers with SP2. They are using IE 6.0.2900.2180. I have downloaded Java runtime environment 1.5.0 from Sun Microsystems.

Anytime I try to use the javabased utilities on websites, I get:
Line: 1
Character: 33
Error: Expected ";"
Code: 0
Url: *the specific URL I am visiting followed by "/*a bunch of seemingly random letters and numbers*"*

At first I thought it had to do with the individual web site I visited, but I have now visited multiple java based websites and get the same message.

Has anyone encountered this before? Am I using the wrong java environment? I am lost and confused.

Are there any Hatrackers who have any experience with this?

OH yeah, I have an old 98 computer I plugged in, and it can handle those sites just fine.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried downloading and installing an older Java runtime?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

I originally had 1.4.6 or something like that. The advice on one forum said to get the latest version.

Is there an older version then 1.4 that I should try?

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
There is no J2SE 1.5, so I'm going to assume you meant 5.0 .

Install this version (which is the latest pre-5.0 version):

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

Specifically, the download in this section:

quote:
J2SE v 1.4.2_06  JRE  includes the JVM technology

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Then, if that doesn't fix it, try visiting one of the sites in a different browser on the same computer to try to narrow down the problem.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

I tried it. It didn't work. I can utilize java on websites using FIrefox on the same computer, but it is important for me to get it to work on IE 6.0.
Chaz_King
Member # 3184

- posted      Profile for Chaz_King   Email Chaz_King         Edit/Delete Post 
I would take out the Sun Microsystem Java environment completely, and then see if you can get it to run using Microsofts virtual machine.. if you need help with that, try this link:

Microsoft Virtual Machine Help

There shouldn't be any issues with virtual machine, and I have seen a lot of people have trouble with suns version because it gets installed wrong or they have something that conflicts with it.

Now if you are a programmer, and you absolutely need Sun's version, well good luck [Wink]

Posts: 232 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

so, I uninstall Sun, and then see if it works? Or do I need to download a replacement? I see documentation, but not a program....
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't listen to Chaz. Basically, you should run very far away from the Microsoft Virtual Machine.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaz_King
Member # 3184

Meh. Tom is biased.

I am sitting in a room with 4 java programmers... all of them say that each one has its place and use. Because it has microsoft on the label doesn't mean it is the devil. Not to mention you would think it would work better in IE.

So if you want to try it, uninstall the sun version then try it with virtual machine. If it doesn't work... no harm done. Its not like you are getting to far with the sun version right now anyway.

Install information for virtual machine

Or you can try google groups for some more info on Sun's version:
Search on Groups for java runtime environment problems with internet explorer

[ January 18, 2005, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Chaz_King ]

Posts: 232 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"Meh. Tom is biased."

Nope. It's just that Microsoft is not releasing new code for the Virtual Machine, has basically admitted that it has no legal rights to the code it's already written, and is legally obligated to phase it completely out of existence within two years.

Chaz_King
Member # 3184

This is true, and excuse me for jumping to the conclusion that you are a "Microsoft is the Devil" bandwagon guy.

However it doesn't change the fact that it could help him do what he needs if he can't get the sun version working [Big Grin]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and is legally obligated to phase it completely out of existence within two years.
That's interesting, seeing as how our Trust department here at the bank (those who work in wealth management) have some weird web-side app they have to run from some vendor, a secure site they log into, that will ONLY run with Microsoft's VM -- you have to uncheck all the Sun Java's options in I.E. in order to get it to work at all...

Farmgirl

[ January 18, 2005, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

I am willing to try anything, as nothing has worked.

When I go to This page , I am not sure what part I download. I tried "Microsoft J# Browser Controls (JBC)," but that did not seem to work.

Do you know what link I should click on?

lem
Member # 6914

quote:
I am sitting in a room with 4 java programmers..
Can you ask them about my problem?
Chaz_King
Member # 3184

They all agree that if you are having the same error from multiple sources of code that the problem lies with your software.

So you have a couple of options, but they all begin with uninstalling what you have.

Install Microsoft VM and try that.
Re-install Sun's java and try that.

Microsoft doesn't have it for download anymore but you can grab it here:
Download page

fugu13
Member # 2859

If the Java code works on other browsers then the problem is likely with IE. I would take the following steps:

1. Uninstall Sun's Java (1.4.2 is the version you should be using, pretty much).

2. Repair IE.

3. Reinstall Sun's Java

If this does not work, I would repeat, and for step 2 downgrading IE then reinstalling the upgrade.

lem
Member # 6914

Does repairing IE6.0 involve a repair button/option or something more invasive?
fugu13
Member # 2859

There's a repair option in Add/Remove programs.
lem
Member # 6914

hmm....I don't see an IE6.0 or any repair options in Add/Remove programs. DOes this mean I need to download and instlal a lower IE option?
fugu13
Member # 2859

Its there, did you look under Microsoft?
fugu13
Member # 2859

Looks like its not in the default list here . . . I'd check under system components but we don;t have permission to view that; probably there, though.
lem
Member # 6914

where do I find system components?

I looked in Control Panal-Add or Remove Programs--Add or Remove Windows Components...is that where I fix it?

If this doesn't work, do you have any suggestions where to download an older version of IE so I can install, see if it works, and upgrade?

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

You may have already covered this, but:

When you're in I.E. and you choose TOOLS - INTERNET OPTIONS - and then click the ADVANCED tab -- if you scroll down there should be check boxes for Java(Sun) and Microsoft VM.

Which ones do you have checked?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

WHen I go into the advanced tab, I see a heading
Java(Sun)
There is a box checked underneath it that says:
"Use Java 2 v1.4.2_06 for {applet} (requires restart)"

There is no Microsoft VM.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

In that case, I agree with Chaz, and say it is worth trying to install Microsoft's Virtual machine. That will put those options there when you install it, and then you can select them and try using Microsoft's engine to run the java-based program, and see if you get different results than when you tried running it under Sun's Java engine.

Farmgirl

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.