FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fantastic Four

Author Topic: Fantastic Four
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
trailer

did i somehow miss this thread?

Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
The teaser's okay. (Big misgiving about the vast changes made to Doom though. And Reed's powers just don't look convincing in those shots)

The official movie website though at http://www.fantasticfourmovie.com is an almost impossible to navigate eyesore that freezes my browser whenever I click on anything.

Hopefully the film is better than the site.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I had heard that the writers and filmmakers were pulled back in Nov/Dec to rework the ending of the movie and add more special effects to Mr. Fantastic. Seems the "The Incredibles" raised the bar...

From now I'm I'm just going to assume that all comic book movies suck. That way I don't get my hopes up, and I'll be pleasantly surprised when I'm wrong. I really, really hope that "Batman Begins surprises me. I don't think "Fantastic Four" will.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that I'm no more interested in this movie after seeing the trailer than I was before I saw it.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
They've got at least four months of post-production left before they need to start doing proper press previews. They've got a lot of time to clean up the VFX. It's very hard to judge what the final look of a film will be before post production is complete.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
From now I'm I'm just going to assume that all comic book movies suck. That way I don't get my hopes up, and I'll be pleasantly surprised when I'm wrong. I really, really hope that "Batman Begins surprises me. I don't think "Fantastic Four" will.

Aw. Did you not like the Spider-Man movies?

I personally have no anticipation for this movie. Partially because I just don't like the Fantasic Four, and partially because it seems more like an executive decision to leap on the comic movie bandwagon than a project done by someone with actual interest.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome trailer. Human Torch has always been one of my favorite marvel characters, it looks like they are doing him justice.

Bout time they got a marvel character right!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

i've liked most marvel movies i've watched. sure they may not be perfect clones of the comics... but i don't read comics.

i think it looks like it'll be a pleasant movie to watch... though the trailer truly was insufficient.

Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
It was a teaser, what'd you expect? [Smile]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

don't get me wrong, i'm excited. heck, i was the one surprised that it hadn't been posted here yet [Wink]
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.diefantastischenvier.de/ ?
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you not like the Spider-Man movies?

Loved the Spider-Man and X-Men movies, and The Crow.

Liked the first two Superman movies, Ghost World, Men in Black I, Mystery Men, the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Blade.

Wanted to like The Hulk, Hellboy, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Men in Black II, Blade II, and Daredevil.

Was torn on the Batman franchise. Some of them had their moments, but overall they sucked.

Hated the last three Superman movies.

Was plain old disappointed in Swamp Thing, Dick Tracy, Popeye, Judge Dredd, Howard the Duck.

Haven't had any interest in Spawn, Catwoman, Elektra, or the two Punisher attempts.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
It pains me that the Punisher has had two mediocre film versions.

The Punisher is cool.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
This trailer makes me very sad. Perhaps the world just isn't capable of producing a good Fantastic Four movie.

But the Punisher? Cool? He's a one-note concept.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, what about David Hasselhoff as Nick Fury, Agent of Shield?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I will admit to being giddy about Sin City. Watched the trailer and the first seven minutes and thought the same thing I thought about Spider-Man and X-Men: "They get it!"

[ January 19, 2005, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Chris, what about David Hasselhoff as Nick Fury, Agent of Shield?
User Comments: What? Huh?

[ROFL]

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
They may have gotten the look of The Human Torch right, but The Thing looks absolutely terrible! I don't think this movie can be worse than my expectations.

I am hoping that Constantine will be good but it stars Keanu and he never quite does it for me. I thought he was alright in the first Matrix movie, but I think Constantine requires a little more depth than Neo.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
marvel has been trying to get FF made into a movie for about 10 years. there was one movie made that was never released but theres a few bootleged copies floating around comic conventions. a freind at work as a copy, the effects where a bit out dated but it was fun to watch.
Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, I'd love to see that.

Edit: This teaser is pitiful. I'm gonna watch the Garden State teaser to strike it from my mind.

"1 will be bad.
4 will be fantastic."

*snort*

[ January 19, 2005, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

*saw garden state*

*was not impressed*

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to talk about my opinion of the movie.

The teaser, however...

...gorgeous.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
"1 will be bad.
4 will be fantastic."

And when they are good they are awful.
gnixing
Member # 768

i'm just saying.. i never trust the trailer to affect much of how i feel toward the movie. i'm just excited for a new marvel film.

oh, and catwoman was better than i expected. it seemed to be more comic bookish than about halle berry's ego. i liked punisher quite a bit too. and have heard good things about elektra.

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're Jessica Alba, I'm pretty sure you're more powerful seen than invisible.

I mean, I certainly would abuse it.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

What cracked me up about the trailer was that I kept expecting to see the Invisible Woman show off her powers.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Me too!
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They may have gotten the look of The Human Torch right, but The Thing looks absolutely terrible! I don't think this movie can be worse than my expectations.
I know - it looks like the rocks themselves flexed, instead of moving around but staying solid.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Porter, you can be my brother. I've always wanted one.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

And I always wanted a sister.

It's a deal.

Now I can go around calling you "sister..." in a Darth Vader voice! [Party]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I thought you might say that you already had enough brothers and didn't need another one, thanks very much. [Smile]

Yay!

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

A word of warning: Noemon is my evil twin, so I guess that makes him your evil brother.

But occasionally I get to to be the evil one.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

It's two, two, two brothers in one.

By the way, as long as I don't find my dollies decapitated, it's okay. If I do, there will be words.

[ January 19, 2005, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
this movie looks turd-suck-ola
Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
I think The Thing may be modelled on the "first" transformation of Ben Grimm. In what I believe is the original chronology in addition to several of the re-tellings, Ben Grimm doesn't initially become his lovable rocky self as we've come to know him. He initially looks more like a big, oranage, cooled lava flow, as opposed to the craggy and well defined version we know today.

Perhaps they're actually planning on doing the proper evolution of the thing?

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
The action scene on the Brooklyn Bridge took them over a month to shoot. I know because it took place right next to where I was living this fall. Explosions that rocked the windows and shook the house at all times of the day for an entire frigging month. Bastards. I've already paid for the goddamn movie. I may as well see it.
Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

new trailer:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/fantastic_four/international/FF_large.html

still looks good to me, though y'all will probably continue to bash it [Wink]

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Disliking something and bashing something are two different things.

[ February 19, 2005, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the preview for this a little while ago, and I remember them saying something about there were 5 people on the plane, one become bad, four become fantastic...Now, I never knew there were 5 people on the plane, I thought it was only the Fantastic Four, and id the 5th person Dr. Doom? Or is this just something made up for the movie?
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
In this case, I will do both.

The tagline still sucks. The Thing still sucks.
And for God's sake, couldn't they find more appropriate music for the trailer?

Part of the problem, I've realized, has to do with that trailer music, or rather the trailer music is the most obvious symptom of the big problem: they completely screwed up the tone of this film. The Fantastic Four do not do grand guignol, sweeping and operating heroics. They're four-color "heroes" that, even in their day, bordered on camp.

To see that concept updated for the modern era with a correct sense of tone, check out "Ultimate Fantastic Four" -- or, if you want a movie that pretty much nails it, "The Incredibles."

--------

BTW, it appears that Doom's origin has been significantly changed. In the comic, Victor von Doom is a Latverian scientist (and noble) who blows himself up when an experiment goes wrong. Reed Richards, a friend and fellow scientist, attempted unsuccessfully to convince Doom that his experiment was flawed -- and thus earned Doom's undying hatred forever. In the movie, Doom is clearly a member of the ship's crew.

Honestly, though, I don't mind this change too much; it makes a fair bit of sense and eliminates the need to create a separate backstory for the villain.

[ February 19, 2005, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I am sick and tired of Comic book movies! As a fan of film, and a non-reader of comic books, Hollywood has reached an all time low in production and creativity.

I admit to liking Superman, Batman, Men in Black I, and both Spidermans. The X men were not bad, but hardly worth drooling over. I have not wanted to watch the Hulk because the special effects looked awful; and it seemed that is what they were banking on to sell the thing. After those films, my tolerance for comic books has dropped. There is only two movies coming out this year I can even think of having interest in, Charley and the Chocolate Factory and War of the Worlds. Even they are copies of copies.

Oh well, I can always read a good book; or write one.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.