FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Racism in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?

Author Topic: Racism in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Orson Scott Card, in a review of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory:

quote:
Finding out what the Oompah-loompahs were supposed to be in the racist original takes a lot of fun out of the movie
Roald Dahl:

quote:
"I created a group of little fantasy creatures.... I saw them as charming creatures, whereas the white kids in the books were... most unpleasant. It didn't occur to me that my depiction of the Oompa-Loompas was racist, but it did occur to the NAACP and others.... After listening to the criticisms, I found myself sympathizing with them, which is why I revised the book" (Dahl in West, 1988).
From here.

What OSC said in his review bothered me, but I decided to check; it was possible Roald Dahl was a racist. However, I found this quote. I believe it misinterprets and misunderstands the allegations of racism brought against Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Where is this review?
Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I think by "supposed to be," OSC isn't commenting on Dahl's original racist intent, but on his original actual description of the characters.

And more power to Dahl for rethinking his own views on the subject.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Here. Search "wonka" or "charlie" or something.

There's not much more of the review than I copied that is applicable, though. It was just this one sentence that I think misinterprets the allegations.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Although Chocolate Factory is Dahl's best known work, 'Danny, Champion of the World,' is much, much better.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I love them all, ScottR. All of them.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Even better are his short stories for adults.

They tend a tad bit towards the gruesome (though not usually graphically so).

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
*shrugs* There is going to be racism in books, and Dahl's response seems considered. The original version would have been untimely, but not wholely inappropriate, and the revised version is even better. Dahl strikes me as a class act.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I still have my copy from the 70's. Did he change it after that?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what copy I have. I always just assumed the Oompa Loompas were some weird characters he made up.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
In my version, a first edition book my mother has, I never ever thought about the Oompa Loompas as anything but pigmies, really. It never struck me as racist, although I guess that would be because they were treated fairly by Wonka, and they loved him dearly. [Dont Know] Sometimes I think people enjoy reading a little too much into things.
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
When I read it in junior high school, I thought it was pretty odd that an entire race of people had been enslaved by a corporation and that everybody was OK with that.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
mr_porteiro_head: yeah! Finally someone who think like me about the whole "loompas"!
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snowden
Member # 1660

- posted      Profile for Snowden           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In my version, a first edition book my mother has, I never ever thought about the Oompa Loompas as anything but pigmies, really. It never struck me as racist, although I guess that would be because they were treated fairly by Wonka, and they loved him dearly. Sometimes I think people enjoy reading a little too much into things.
Mayday, there are still issues of individual soveriegnty and free expression. I imagine a parallel may be drawn between children and over-protective parents.

More pertinent, take the run-up to Iraq. There is no doubt that the Admin loves this country, but if we find out that we weren't given the whole story concerning WMDs, then we were still inappropriately at the government's mercy.

[ January 19, 2005, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: Snowden ]

Posts: 611 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.