FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Unspoken US Elections Disclaimer

Author Topic: The Unspoken US Elections Disclaimer
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
There will be - in every single one of the United States of America's Elections' campaign - three candidates at least:

1. The Democrat.
2. The Republican.
3. Ralph Nader (Ralphie).

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, this was Ralph's lowest point. Nader's nadir, if you will.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
You forgot a part: Scandals.

No election would be complete without a scandal.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
He wrote some book criticising American cars, no?
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I still argue that Democrat and Republican politically are like crunchy and creamy, just descriptions of the same basic product.

And Nader... he's just dryer lint.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Descriptions of the same product, sure; but people relate to them differently, and thus the market fluctuates.
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
"You forgot a part: Scandals. No election would be complete without a scandal."

i first read SANDALS, and wondered what footwear had to do with anything.

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He wrote some book criticising American cars, no?
He wrote a lot of pro-consumer books.

And American cars are crap.

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Although he is too much of an idealist to make an effective president, Nader at least cares aboout his fellow citizens, which is more than appears to be the case for most candidates.

One of Nader's books, Unsafe at any speed, was a factor in forcing the Big Three American auto makers to put basic safety measures in their cars. Like seatbelts. Car companies were against seatbelts for decades and finally had to be forced to put them in cars.

In addition. Nader has founded or helped start:
American Antitrust Institute
Appleseed Foundation
Arizona Center for Law in the Public Interest
Aviation Consumer Action Project
Capitol Hill News Service
Center for Auto Safety
Center for Insurance Research
Center for Justice and Democracy
Center for Science in the Public Interest
Center for Study of Responsive Law
Center for Women Policy Studies
Citizen Advocacy Center
Citizen Utility Boards
Citizen Works
Clean Water Action Project
Congress Project
Connecticut Citizen Action Group
Corporate Accountability Research Group
Democracy Rising
Disability Rights Center
Equal Justice Foundation
Essential Information
FANS (Fight to Advance the Nation's Sports)
Foundation for Taxpayers and Consumer Rights
Freedom of Information Clearinghouse
Georgia Legal Watch
Multinational Monitor
National Citizen's Coalition for Nursing Home Reform
National Coalition for Universities in the Public Interest
National Insurance Consumer Organization
Ohio Public Interest Action Group
Organization for Competitive Markets
Pension Rights Center
Princeton Project 55
PROD - truck safety
Public Citizen
Buyers Up
Citizen Action Group
Critical Mass Energy Project
Congress Watch
Global Trade Watch
Health Research Group
Litigation Group
Tax Reform Research Group
The Visitor's Center
Retired Professionals Action Group
Shafeek Nader Trust for the Community Interest
Student Public Interest Research Groups nationwide
Telecommunications Research and Action Center
Trial Lawyers for Public Justice

source: http://www.nader.org/shortbio.html

[ January 19, 2005, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Unsafe At Any Speed also put the final coffin nail in the Corvair specifically.

You see, Chevy had finally come up with an automobile heating system that worked as soon as you turned it -- it was a propane burner system. The problem was that the car featured a propane tank for the fuel in the front end. Since the Corvair was a rear-engine model (and handled unsafely because of that), the front mounted propane tank basically was like a warhead on a particularly inaccurate missile. Horrid case of not looking at potential problems.

Nader saved countless lives with that book, both because of the Corvairs and the long-lasting safety features he was able to bring about.

However, that's still seen as the highwater mark of his career. He was probably the person who started the consumer advocate ideal, but he's fallen to a position among the crowd in that field over the last three decades.

Good fellow, good ideas and means well, but can't overcome the fact that he neither looks nor sounds very presidential. And honestly, he's much better as the canary in the coal mine than as the mine foreman.

But many would say that is the purpose of his candidacy in the first place.

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I had never heard of the propane heater in the Corvair. Sounds like a horrid design.

However,
quote:
However, that's still seen as the highwater mark of his career. He was probably the person who started the consumer advocate ideal, but he's fallen to a position among the crowd in that field over the last three decades.

Good fellow, good ideas and means well, but can't overcome the fact that he neither looks nor sounds very presidential. And honestly, he's much better as the canary in the coal mine than as the mine foreman.

But many would say that is the purpose of his candidacy in the first place

Lost Ashes.While Unsafe at any speed is his most well-known work, I think his most important projects were founding or helping to found Citizen Action Group, Student Public Interest Research Groups and other organizations that work in the public interest.

I pretty much agree with the other 2 paragraphs, unfortunately.

+SIGH+ When will a viable 3rd party presidential candidate ever emerge in modern American politics??
Can't anyone break the stranglehold the Dems and Repubs hold on national politics? [Frown]

Other countries have multiple parties, why can't we?

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Other countries have multiple parties, why can't we?
Two words: Electoral College.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
American cars are crap.
I knew that was very tru in the 70s, because American cars had to be crap, in order to maintain the market. But, I thought GM has greatly improved.

All (virtually) agre that if you buy a Volvo, you're safe. It is, however, owned by Ford. Opel is owned by GM, and so are Vauxhall and Holden. Land Rover is no longer independent, and Jaguar is going down. Basically, if you're talking about quality cars at a high league you've got Japanese ones (if you like Toyota and Subaru. Honda's superb, as far as I'm concerned), or one of the independent Europeans. That is either French cars (God, no), or the Germans. Those consist of BMW, Mercedes and Volkswagen (Audi and Škoda are part of VW). If you want an Alfa Romeo - you can go for those.

Did I get that right?

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Basically, the Axis Powers from WWII can make cars. The Allied Powers can't. American cars are just bad, too many problems safety and otherwise. The British can make luxury cars when they still run into maintainence trouble. France and Russia...

Germany on the other hand can make good quality cars. Sweden was neutral so they're OK, but not great. Italy doesn't do much in the way of mainstream cars. Japan comes out on top.

Personally, I love Toyotas. Compared to Lexuses, BMW and Mercedes charge considerably more for the same luxury. Hondas are obviously good, and their safety record speaks for itself. The other Japanese automakers all make better cars in terms of quality than their American counterparts.

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.