FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why does this happen? (Pain in the abdomen.)

Author Topic: Why does this happen? (Pain in the abdomen.)
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else out there ever get a pain in the abdomen when coughing or bending too quickly or something? It's happened to me my whole life. Why? Am I the only one? I will not accept "yes" as an answer.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Si!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Bite me!

Edit: j/k [Wink]

[ January 19, 2005, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
gas

[Big Grin]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a hernia to me.
No I won’t test you

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Does it matter that I'm a chick?
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I currently have pain in the abdomen.

It's related to something else.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Really. It's like this stabbing pain that just lasts a second. It's so annoying!
Jay
Member # 5786

Yeah, girls can get hernias too.
http://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/hiatushernia.asp
How long this been going on? Might be your appendix too. What ever it is you should get it checked out. Either can turn serious.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Not the appendix. I've had it for a long time.

edit: That type of hernia is too high up in the abdomen to be what's going on here.

[ January 19, 2005, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Torn muscles?

That has happened to me everytime I am pregnant, and for sometimes afterward. The MW said it's due to weak ab muscles.(trying to think of the specific one she said).

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

look at the chart towards the bottom of that link. You''ll see that sites in the body can be upper or lower.

Either way, get to the docs.

Let me guess. No insurance

[ January 19, 2005, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Jay ]

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
could it be something a gynocologist needs to look into?
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

No, I have insurance. I just am hesitant to go to the doctor over something I've had my whole life, and I was hoping to hear from other people that it's normal.

Plus I'm going next week for something unrelated.

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine it's something akin to that freakish sharp chest pain (you know - the one where it feels like your lung is caught on one of your ribs and is this stab-y, lightning pain that only lasts a few seconds).
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

That's pleurisy, right?
Jay
Member # 5786

Well, if you're going to be at the doc anyway might as well ask them what they think. They're the experts and the ones who know.
And no, it's not normal to have pain. No matter if a zillion people say they have pain.

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I imagine it's something akin to that freakish sharp chest pain (you know - the one where it feels like your lung is caught on one of your ribs and is this stab-y, lightning pain that only lasts a few seconds).
I know I've had that ^^ happen to me every once in awhile ever since I was a little kid. I hate it! But not the abdomen thing. [Frown]

[ January 19, 2005, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you seen a doctor for it?

My sister had pain like that. It was a ruptured appendix that had encapsulated (lucky her, otherwise she'd be dead. . . ). She then began having that same type of pain again about a year ago, and it turned out to be Crohn's Disease this time.

My friend had pain like that. It was initially thought to be ovarian cysts or cancer, but turned out to be "just" endometriosis. Her reaction was kind of funny, actually: "Here I am driving home going 'Woo hoo! It's endometrio. . .wait a second! That's still bad.'"

I guess my point is that I'm mirroring what others have said -- it could be any number of things, and several of them are quite serious -- you want to check it out with a doctor.

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny to see this thread when I opened Hatrack today...last night I felt a sharp pain focused just below my ribcage and spreading to the rest of my abdomen. It was like being kicked repeatedly, a sort of shooting pain that gradually ebbed away and became dull. I also felt really nauseated and almost threw up. Any ideas what this may have been?? [Angst] [Eek!] [Confused]
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Now, I really think that one is gas.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it's not normal to have pain
Only men say that, pain is a pretty normal part of being a woman.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
PSI, I don't want to be the first one, but I think Jesse is getting a new playmate. Congratulations!

[Razz]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
So. I'm not the only one, then.

Edit: Wait! Wait! I was responding to Rabbit's post!!!!!

[ January 19, 2005, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: quidscribis ]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I doubt it, Hobbes, but thanks anyway! Party at my house!
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent! Now I just driving directions and, you know, a car.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Hmm, okay.

Party at Hobbes' house!

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Avadaru, is the pain central or more on one side?

PSI, where is this pain? You said it's high in the abdomen -- where the ribs are? If so, it sounds a bit like intercostal pain. I get that. [Razz]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Party!! (Say, we should have another AZ get-together)
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm in desperate need of a distraction... So an AZ get together would be a good thing in the near future.

Any ideas from anyone?

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

The pain isn't high, it's quite low. There is pain about where I'd expect my appendix to be, but it's also on the other side sometimes.

See, I've got a million and one ideas about why it could be happening (ovarian cysts, pain where I had my tubes tied, etc) but none of them fly because this is something I've had since I was pretty young.

In the post above, when I said the pain was too high, I was referring to the hernia link that was posted. *That* pain is too high to be my pain.

---

I'm up for a party but I'm booked for a few weeks. But, Jes owes me one for not letting me go to Prescott. [Smile]

[ January 20, 2005, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
So am I the only one who *doesn't* think that this sounds like something life threatening? She's been experiencing this pain since she was fairly young--if it were going to kill her don't you think it'd have done so by now?

Peritonitis was the first thing that occurred to me, for some reason, but in reading about it I doubt pretty seriously that that's what this is, given how long it's been going on.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I don't feel like I'm in danger, but I do wish it would go away. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.