FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » the strangest abortion argument I have heard

Author Topic: the strangest abortion argument I have heard
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.alligator.org/pt2/050119letter1.php

Someone wrote a letter to my college paper with the most bizzare arguement I have ever heard. They said that if the abortion laws were overturned, couples without children would rape women so that they could then take the baby that she would be forced to have (because she could not get an abortion after the rape).

Here is one quote that really seemed odd:
"It sickens me to think my sisters and nieces could be at risk of enslavement as unconsenting baby-factories."

I've heard a lot of things said in abortion debates, but never anything like this theory. It just doesn't make sense...changing abortion laws would not make rape legal, even with a "high powered lawyer" I can't imagine judges allowing this sort of thing to go on.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
0_o
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe I just laughed at that. Now I feel like a terrible person.

And I'm still smiling, so I feel worse. [Smile]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
If abortion were illegal, that's what we would have done. Instead we had to settle for adopting.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I read one in college where the fact that Mary was an unwed mother should somehow make Christians favor abortion.

It hurts just wrapping my mind around that one.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
O_O

*reconsiders meeting Ic and Cor at bob'n'danaCon*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man... I'm sorry, but I thought it was funny too. Talk about pop culture paranoia gone to a whole new level of perversity.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reader
Member # 3888

- posted      Profile for reader   Email reader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I read one in college where the fact that Mary was an unwed mother should somehow make Christians favor abortion.
As in... she should have aborted her son?
Posts: 196 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Apparantly.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus [Eek!]

[No No]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Could it have been someone's sick idea of a parody?
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, now I'm having fond memories of all the times I read the Alligator in class instead of paying attention.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I read one in college where the fact that Mary was an unwed mother should somehow make Christians favor abortion."

If it's any consolation, Dag, I've heard pro-lifers make the opposite argument using roughly the same logic.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

*shakes head sadly*
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's funny that he brings up the second amendment. Because obviously all those conservative pro-lifers are NRA members. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Some people are just wackos.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
You called?

I thought I had a good Abortion Argument. President Bush and co say that they can torture, maim, and kill enemy combatants because they are not US Citizens. To be a US Citizen you must be born in the US. Since a fetus has yet to be born anywhere--they aren't US Citizens, so they have no rights in the US, etc, etc.

Then I remembered...you are automatically a US Citizen if one of your parents are.

Oh well, back to the legalistic drawing board.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, that bit about being a citizen if born here is no longer true.

I've forgotten exactly how it works, but we don't let Maria and Jose slip across the border and have little Jesus in a car park and he gets to be a citizen anymore.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.
Are you saying some law directly overrode the 14th amendment?
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and subject to the jurisdiction thereof
I kinda figured this would be the part that kills the whole illegal alien baby thing. How much jurisdiction does the government have over an illegal alien (Or their Illegal Alien Spawn? Sorry. I just find the word alien too odd to not throw a little science fiction in there [Smile] )
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Those words do not mean what you think they mean:

quote:
The Court has accorded the first sentence of Sec. 1 a construction in accordance with the congressional intentions, holding that a child born in the United States of Chinese parents who themselves were ineligible to be naturalized is nevertheless a citizen of the United States entitled to all the rights and privileges of citizenship. 7 Congress' intent in including the qualifying phrase ''and subject to the jurisdiction thereof,'' was apparently to exclude from the reach of the language children born of diplomatic representatives of a foreign state and children born of alien enemies in hostile occupation, both recognized exceptions to the common-law rule of acquired citizenship by birth, 8 as well as children of members of Indian tribes subject to tribal laws.

Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've forgotten exactly how it works, but we don't let Maria and Jose slip across the border and have little Jesus in a car park and he gets to be a citizen anymore.
actually we do...people complain about it...but if the kid is born in the USA, he is a citizen.

quote:
I thought I had a good Abortion Argument. President Bush and co say that they can torture, maim, and kill enemy combatants because they are not US Citizens.
It still wouldn't be a good argument (even if Bush did go on the news and say that he is cool with torturing and maiming and such). The fact that our country has the dealth penalty doesn't make abortion right...it just makes something else that should be fixed.

[ January 20, 2005, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: Lupus ]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
humornudge

[Wink]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I got it, Ic, though it never hurts to use a winkey, just to CYA.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
That is really bizarre. [Angst]
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.