FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Jatraquero Recipe Site Thread - with request for new users on p. 9 (Page 10)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: The Jatraquero Recipe Site Thread - with request for new users on p. 9
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I "put" the bananna's into the recipie, thanks for noticing. I do all of that automatically, so it was really easy to forget to wite a step down. [Blushing]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I quite liked the original recipe.

[Smile]

Kwea's famous Banana-less Bananas Foster! Unique.

But if you must be a spoil-sport about it... [Razz]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

[Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would just be...Foster.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Just FYI, they're doing maintenance on the site tonight and changing the IP address, so if it's down, don't worry about it and try tomorrow.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Dags, could you please add a sub-category? Under "Kosher" could there be "Kosher for Passover" (or KfP would work)?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think it would just be...Foster.
I like Foster. [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Oh, Dags, could you please add a sub-category? Under "Kosher" could there be "Kosher for Passover" (or KfP would work)?
No problem. Can you write up a little blurb like you did for "Kosher"?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Sure. [Smile]

How about
quote:
Recipes which follow all kosher guidelines, as well as those specifically for the week of Passover. Generally, that means no grain products other than matzo or matzo meal. Also, no legumes or legume products -- such as no corn starch or corn syrup.

[ April 29, 2005, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Also, I just noticed something mildly (very -- if it stays this way, not a big deal, but you're doing this partly as web design practice, neh?) annoying.

The mouse-over descriptions for Halal and Kosher are long enough that the entire thing is not visible unless you page down -- but as soon as you stop mousing over, the ability to page down disappears. Using the arrow keys while keeping the mouse pointer over works, though.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

OK, it's added.

The pop-up tool is part of the content management system. I'll see if there's a fix, otherwise I'll try to find another popup tool. I never noticed it because my resolution is high enough that the category list doesn't go to the bottom of the screen.

rivka
Member # 4859

Danke. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, what about eggs?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, I don't know enough about this.

Rivka, maybe tomorrow night or Sunday you can go through mine and tell me which ones are so I can mark them for you.

rivka
Member # 4859

Let me put it this way. In a typical Passover week, I use about 5-6 dozen eggs -- about 8 times what I would use most weeks.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Bi-passover.

Sorry!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

If it doesn't have flour, cornstarch (although potato starch can be substituted), bread, crackers, soy products, peas, beans, corn, etc. -- it's probably KfP. Or rather, can easily be made so. [Smile]

[ April 29, 2005, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

rivka
Member # 4859

Liz, considering Passover is also the only time of year I buy real butter (the substitutes are all soy-based), you're exactly right.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

One thing I'd eventually like to add is category-based rights, where I could allow someone willing to set certain category assignment for any recipe.

For example, I could make rivka a Kosher administrator and she could assign any recipe to or remove any recipe from one or more of the Kosher categories. If she's willing, of course. [Smile]

That's a summer project, though. Back to the grindstone.

rivka
Member # 4859

Sure. [Smile] Not today, though. [Wink]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Well, I suppose I can have a Kosher administrator who takes a day off each weak. [Wink]
Kwea
Member # 2199

[ROFL]

Better be able to...otherwise you will bet stuck with someone like me, and nothing would be Kosher at all, despite (or perhaps because of ) my best efforts.

[Big Grin]

Kwea

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Jaiden, you have add/edit rights now.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Kwea, you'll be the flaming cuisine administrator.
imogen
Member # 5485

I have added Too Easy Pavlova.

[Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, green chili is being made and posted today.
imogen
Member # 5485

Yummmm Green Chili.

Tony is currently away - he gets back Wednesday night.

I am thinking of making for his coming-home-dinner:

A tasting plate with three things:
1. Oysters with a champagne & sesame oil dressing
2. Baby eggplant slices stuffed with minced pork and shitake mushrooms then fried (very loosely Chinese)
3. ?

Followed by a small serving of quidscribis' hot and sour sri lankan fish. (From her website).

So - come on you gastronomenicals (is that even a word?) - what should 3. be?

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Something light with lettuce or cabbage, like Thai beef strips in lettuce leaves. Or an Asian cabbage salad with rice oil and toasted sesame seeds. But something light. Or a tomato salad with feta and good black olives, maybe.
imogen
Member # 5485

Mmmmm...

I hadn't even considered a salad. Not a bad idea. [Smile]

(Although it is cold here at the moment - not that that means we can't eat salad, of course. )

I would consider a tuna carpaccio and cucumber salad but that would involve driving to the good fishmongers.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

How about just a little plate of vegetables and fruits and some good cheeses?
imogen
Member # 5485

Good cheese = trip to good cheese store

Gad, I'm a pain!

The thing is, I used to live near to all the good food stores. Then Tony and I bought our house, in an area where gourmet means not Maccas, and suddenly I've become a lazy cook.

[Smile]

The more I think about it, the more I like your salad idea, Elizabeth.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Imogen, someone made this really yummy salad once with little Mandarin oranges and sliced almonds. If you have those in your cabinet, or at your nonfaraway store, it is so good!
I think it was just a regular dressing they used, but maybe it was a little sweet.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Bunbun and I just made romanylass's peanut sauce - t was divine. We served it with sauteed chicken, bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms over brown rice, and bunbun mixed in some spaghetti squash, too.

We only used one seeded jalapeno. Next time we will either leave the seeds or add at least one more.

Thanks dpr!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hey, Elizabeth! [Wave]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

That's it! (basically)
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh, my. This reminds me I have yet to post the green chili recipe. before doing so, this is basically it, for those of you who are By Eye cooks:

5 lb. pork butt
cumin seeds
15-20 Anaheim peppers
2-3 Poblanos
Enough jalapenos or other hotties to your taste
2 large onions
I head of garlic
Chicken broth
Salt and pepper
A bunch of scallions
A bunch of cilantro

Cut the pork into bite sized pieces, trimming the big chunks of fat. Fry in batches with a heavy dose of cumn seeds
Grill the peppers, and onions. Peel the peppers, and chop coarsely. (leave the seeds if you want.) Add these to a pot, with the cooked pork, and add chicken broth to cover.
Roast garlic in the oven. Add to the pot.
Let simmer for about two hours. Add more broth if you want a soupy consistency, less if you want a burrito filling consistency(my choice)
When all is nice and stewed, add chopped scallions and cilantro. Add salt and pepper to taste.

This is great, soupy, over rice. Great as a burrito filling with just a smidge of mild cheese.

Experiment. Try it with chicken. Add more hot peppers to the ratio. Make it thin like a sauce, and use it to pour over burritos before baking. Try different peppers. I was thinking tomatillos might be good.

I will post this to the recipe site any day now.

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of my recipes are not here, but in the US... not ones from books, ones from my mommy. [Smile]

I'll probably post some, once I go back! I leave in two weeks. Just so you know, Dag. You don't have to give me rights yet, but I may ask for them at one point!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Just bumping this to remind me to post "Trees and Snow", a favorite from my childhood, after our anniversary dinner. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Trees and Snow is up for your consumption.
imogen
Member # 5485

Citrus Marinated Steak on Sweet Potato with Spicy Tomato Relish and Sour Cream is up.

Description:
quote:
saw this very briefly on a tv cooking show and went off to find the recipe. Of course, it wasn't available online unless you paid $35 for a 6 month subscription (yeah RIGHT!) so I made it up as I went along.
The seemingly disparate flavours combine amazingly well, and the sour cream seems to pull it all together at the end.

Of course, it could be made non dairy by leaving out the sour cream (and optional butter)and I think it would still work. If you were to do this I would cut down the heat in the relish, as the cream acts to tone this down at the end.

This is not as much work as it seems - while you need to prepare some stuff ahead of time (the marinade, the relish) it's a perfect recipe if you're going to home for an afternoon doing other things anyway. Also, the relish will keep in the fridge for at least a week, so you can always make extra and serve with other dishes.

It's yummy. [Smile]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I hope your happy - you've destroyed any enjoyment I had in my breakfast of two hard-boiled egg whites and a peanut butter and banana sandwich on wheat. [Razz]

I cannot wait to try this. Eve made some lovely chicken with a yogurt/cucumber/tomato sauce. I'll see if I can get her to post it.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I have been remiss in recipe posting, although I haven't made anything knew in a long time. So really, I've been remiss in cooking.

I posted applesauce raisin bread, a favorite from my childhood. Very moist, very scrumptious, and very easy to make.

We have 137 recipes so far.

Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm a quick Venezuelan recipe.

Arepas!

You'll need -

- Corn meal (Use Venezuelan brand name "Harina P.A.N if you can find it in your international food section)

- Water

- Salt (or garlic salt)

- Garlic Powder (if you didn't already add garlic salt)

First thing you'll want to do is get a big bowl and add some lukewarm water. You're going to want to add a small amount of water (2 cups) at first. The first time you make these you might end up making more than what you want but that's ok, you can store them in your fridge and reheat them whenever you're hungry. After you have your bowl with lukewarm water slowly add the corn meal all the while stirring the mixture with your hands, continue adding corn meal until the mix becomes more solid and you're left with a sort of "play doh-ish" mass of dough, keep on kneading it with your hand until it's smooth and grainless. Then salt to taste and knead the mixture some more, once you've added the salt you can then add the garlic powder and knead it evenly.

Once that's all done stick your hand in the bowl and grab a handfull of the mixture, form and shape it into a round ball and then use your palms to squeeze it into a round disc. Make sure the disc is thick enough horizonatlly for you to stick a knife through it and cut it in half (more on that later). Once you've used up all the mixture making discs you have a few options on how to cook it:

- You can fry the discs until they are golden/crispy on the outside.

- You can set the oven to 375 degrees and cook them that way. Depending on how you mixed the ingredients it might take a while so my advise is to just keep watch (maybe 20-30 mins).

You'll know when they're done because they'll look golden on the outside. You're aiming for crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside so keep that in mind when you check up on them [Smile]

Once the food is ready make sure to eat it while it's still hot. You'll want to cut them in half horizontally (not all the way) and add your own ingredients inside. They're not really anything special on their own, the idea is to treat them like bread and make yourself a sandwhich of sorts. Some popular combinations:

- Butter, cheese(pick your favorite), ham, turkey, beef, chicken... you know, any kind of deli meat.

- Some people like to fill them up with scramble eggs

- "Reina Pepiada": Tomatoes, mayo, shredded beef

- Butter & Cheese

You guys get the picture right?

There are a lot of different variations on the dish, among them are "Empanadas" which I'd love to post about if anyone's interested [Smile]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starr R
Member # 8361

- posted      Profile for Starr R   Email Starr R         Edit/Delete Post 
I love to cook (although I don't cook as much as I used to) and I love this idea! SO many good things to chose from at your site. I have some Hawaiian recipes, including sweet Hawaiian bread (AKA potato bread), that I'd be glad to share, if you want them. I'll have to find the disk that I typed them on long ago, but I'd love to join in on the fun. Thanks for sharing.
Posts: 68 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
I made Paula Deen’s Cucumber Salad last week. Very plain looking, nothing fancy but this was surprisingly good. I think sour cream is the key.
Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Rico, I bet Dags would give you access to his site, so you could post that (yummy looking) recipe there. They sound a bit like pita made from corn meal.

I'll have to try them sometime. [Smile]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Rico already has rights. [Smile]

This link will give a list of all users with recipe add/edit rights.

Starr R, if you register at the site, let me know your user name and I'll give you rights.

Rico
Member # 7533

Heh thanks, I'll go ahead and add it now [Smile]
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Rico, they made Venezuelan food on Food 911 the other day. They didn't use garlic in the arepas, though. That sounds yummy, although I wouldn't have thought anything of it if I hadn't seen the show because I've never had Venezuelan food!
Rico
Member # 7533

Yeah, the garlic is my personal touch [Smile]

I like to improvise a lot when I cook.

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.