FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Worst Dish You Ever Ate (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Worst Dish You Ever Ate
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
. . . I made on Saturday.

I got a SWEET blender for Christmas, and have been aching to use it. I have a recipe for Avacado-Lime soup, which I've never used before, and which sounded delicious-- avocados, lime, dill. . . all things I rather like.

It was terrible. Utterly, completely disgusting. Offensive, even-- not gross, like say, kau-kau, or kimchee, where one might chalk up one's disgust to personal preference. This was OBJECTIVELY bad. Not even Xaposert could have argued the merits of this dish.

Bleh.

Here's the recipe.

Can of chicken broth
1 avocado
1/2 cup of plain yogurt
1/4 lime juice
1tsp of dill
1/4 tsp of pepper

Mix and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
You provide the recipe so that, what, we can voluntarily torture ourselves?

What kind of a sick man are you? What's the matter with you? Have you no decency?

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a rule of thumb: any cold soup including chicken broth is going to blow chunks. In fact, any cold soup at all is going to have to jump over several hurdles before I'll consider letting it pass my lips.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
What kind of a sick man are you?
Wouldn't you like to know.

quote:
What's the matter with you?
Potassium deficiency.

quote:
Have you no decency?
A little, but only when it's very, very cold.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Honestly, though, the purpose of this thread is to have YOU reveal dishes for ME to avoid.
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say the worst dish I ate was the result of a mistake on a restraunt's part, not something that was just normally terrible. A good number of years ago my Mom found coupons (a lot of stories in our family begin with that phrase) to a fancy resteraunt, quite expensive. Well I ended up getting chicken that was terrible. not much of a story I know, but they'd soaked it in alchool and hadn't boiled any of it away. Very gross.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Once when I was on my mission, I went to have dinner with some people that we were teaching. They were both very nice, but a little naive. They cooked the dinner themselves, and it was okay. Then came dessert. It was chocolate mousse. The wife cooked it, and she was obviously very proud of herself. She put a little into a bowl for each of us, but the texture looked a little weird, so I took a small bite and was treated to the most nauseatingly greasy, un-chocolatey taste I've ever had the misfortune to experience. I wanted to spit it out and wash my mouth out, but she'd clearly worked very hard on it, so I tried to put on a smile and act nice.

I took a couple more bites, then I just had to know what in this abomination to make it so foul and disgusting, so I asked her. She said, "Oh, it's a really simple recipe. You just take some softened butter and add some melted chocolate chips and mix it up."

I don't know how I got out of finishing it, but the very thought of that puts me off my dessert to this very day.

[ January 24, 2005, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
The worst soup I ever made was from the Moosewwod cookbook. It was a mushroom barley soup. Imagine dirty dishwater with pieces of mushroom and barley floating around. We tried salting it, adding butter, all the chef tricks. (my fellow houseparent had been a chef) Nothing.

Mushroom and barley soup needs beef. I learned that.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
The worst food I ever ate was a shared experience.

A bunch of us had gone out to dinner while in Bar Harbor, Maine. We all got entrees and most came with mashed potatoes.

Cool. Mmmmm. Mashed potatoes.One of my favorite dishes ever.

I took a bite. Pause...disgusting. But these are mashed potatoes? How can they be so royally screwed up? Another bite. They're getting worse. I put my fork down. One of my friends turned to me, "Did you just try the potatoes? They're HORRIBLE."

They were.

Now, we're mean bastards, so we made everyone else at the table try them and be disgusted. THEN we got the server over. Explained the potatoes. She couldn't believe it. "Really? They screwed them up? HOW?"

We don't know. What's in them?

"Potatoes, butter, sour cream, cream cheese..."

o_O

"But usually, people LOVE them."

Here, try some.

She tried some. She had to go spit it out. We offered to buy her a drink because of the guts THAT took. We ended up leaving her a damn good tip. She went and talked to the cooks, and they decided that one of the ingredients must've turned bad and stopped served the potatoes completely.

But what a server. She TRIED them. We were impressed.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it was really mashed cauliflower.

The worst dish I ever had was at an American Mexican place--they were famous for their "Mexican burger", which was basically a burger patty in a tortilla. Mine had so much salt sprinkled on it that I could crunch down on the granules. Blech.

[ January 24, 2005, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Worst dish I had.. I dunno.. it's a toss up...

When I was in spain they served this ham on a melon thing.. it was disgusting. I don't know if any of you have ever had spanish ham "Jamon York" they call it. It's bad in itself. and honeydew melon is pretty far from my favorite. But together they had this nasty aftertaste. I don't know if the ham was bad or what. Anyway, the senora of the house put too of the nasty morsels on my plate and I politely gagged them down... Then she asked if I wanted more...

The other horrendous food experience I had was when I was very young. maybe 10. I had always been taught that when my mother put food in front of me that I had to eat it without complaint. My mother worked hard to make whatever she served us so I should be appriciative. I had also learned that if I ate the nasty stuff first I could savor the good stuff without worrying about what was coming after that. I could enjoy it more...

So when my mom put some "chicken salad" in front of me (I LIKE chicken salad but not even the dog would eat this stuff.) I held my nose (literally) and choked all of it down like a good little girl. My little brother of course, raised holy hell about it. My mom, who had been tidying the kitchen before she ate with us, finally sat down, took ONE bite and said "Oh kids, you don't have to eat this if you don't want to."

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate grits. They are completely revolting. Whether they have butter or sugar or whatever, they are disgusting.
one time my former stepmother tried to get me and her sister to eat them. We conspired against her. I never know why people force their kids to eat stuff they don't want to eat.
Worse is when my grandmother put beets in salad. [Angst]
Also, I don't like polenta.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Are we talking about dishes here or real food?

I once tried to eat a stoneware plate...it was pretty nasty.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom made a tofu "cheesecake" from the Weight Watchers cookbook when I was, oh, about 11. It put me off tofu for 2 years.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
A tie:

1. Free government cheese that had gone bad. We had a "clean your plate" rule, and I did, and I threw up.

2. Daytona Beach spring break trip with friends. Tourist-trappish all-you-can-eat seafood buffet in dim lighting. The boiled shrimp tasted nasty -- I took one to the bathroom to look at it in stronger light, and it had black spots and was puffed up & mushy. I promptly threw up.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother once made this terrible cheese and corn stuff. The corn was all hard and disgusting and the cheese was vile, it was velveeta or something. We also had a clean your plate rule, but my mom said we didn't have to this time. Then she left the stuff on the stove and it turned into this terrible greasy parfait.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
When my brother and I were very young, my mother worked at a children's clothing store, often leaving the two of us with my dad in the evening. My father, while brilliant in many, many areas, is not much of a cook, and that's putting it mildly. However, my mom left him thawed ground beef and a pizza variety hamburger helper, assuming that he could just follow the directions on the box.

Well, my dad decided that this meal didn't have enough vegetables, so he took a can of mixed vegetables (Veg-All, as I recall), and dumped it in the mix. It was utterly repulsive; mixed vegetables and pizza just don't mix. After many failed attempts to get us to eat this concoction(we were, I think, 7 and 4), my mom called (to say hi). She could hear us crying in the background, and when my dad explained why, my mom's response was, "Ew! That's disgusting! I wouldn't eat it either!"

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
The worst I ever had was a cooking mistake by my dad. He was making chicken soup and took what he thought was frozen chicken out of the freezer for it. He cut it up and added it to the soup and it promptly melted. Turns out he'd put grapefruit slush (grapefruit, strawberries and pineapple) in the soup. He didn't make us eat it all, but we all had to have a spoonful. [Razz]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
One time an ex boyfriend of my mother's overcooked instant rice and expected me to eat it.
Speaking of which, I don't like cheap rice. I only like Uncle Ben's or Japanese rice.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
It's time to bring up once again my biggest cooking mistake ever: Oyster Pizza.

Never, never, never, never, never, never eat oyster pizza. Unless you like phlegm on your pizza.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I once ate (and this is all of course on my LDS mission):

A calf liver the size of my fist. It was also incredibly dry.

A plate of goat cheese that was so salty and olives (with the pits and barely any flesh) that were so bitter that I realized I could drink bile if I ever had to.

Homemade pigs liver pate made by a confirmed bachelor (do I need to say more?).

A pork cutlet that as I got half-way through it, I knew it was going to give me food poisoning.

Stomach soup (see the olives and cheese story).

An entire dessert plate of honey with only a small glass of water to wash the whole thing down.

Slices of pig fat that still had bits of the bristles on it.

Fried fish from a (no doubt heavily polluted) Romanian river that was served whole -- and you ate the whole thing -- tail, bones and head. This wasn't like the tiny fried Asian fishes you can get as snacks. These babies averaged 3-4 inches. And I even had one or two that was at least 6 inches long.

Sweat and sour meatballs in a Bucharest 'chinese' restaurant that tasted like they had been dipped in lighter fluid.

Organ loaf.

Pizza that was doughy in the middle and topped with slices of pork fat (seeing a pattern here?) and then you spooned ketchup over it (i.e. pizza sauce) from the bowl that had been sitting on the table you chose for who knows how long.

I also drank:

Bootleg pepsi.

Wine that was so mulled and from grapes so sour that it was like chewing on grape skins.

Warm milk that had lumps in it.

HOWEVER:

I was the first LDS missionary to leave service in Romania without ever having to eat (was never even served) the bane of all the missionaries existence -- pork aspic with bits of pork skin and fat floating in it.

I also ate some of the best meals in my life in Romania.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Popcorn will not pop in a chicken stir-fry.

Just so you know.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Syn, you eat adulterated rice? Whatever happened to good old-fashioned regular rice that you steam on the stove? [Razz]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, a close second to the mixed-veggie pizza is the first time I baked anything, ever (I think I might have been 8). I made peanut butter cookies, but I misread the recipe...and, instead of a quarter teaspon of salt, I put in a quarter cup. My dad took a bite of the first cookie that came out of the oven, gagged, and spit it out into the sink. It's very amusing now, but at the time, I was very, very upset.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Adulturated? [Confused]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Uncle Ben's. I don't like converted rice.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Aw. Uncle Ben's is nice. It's not all mushy and part crunchy and has a good flavour.
Goes nice with stir fry.

SausageMan
Member # 5134

- posted      Profile for SausageMan           Edit/Delete Post 
Uh...I don't know about worst "dish". Believe it or not, chicken noodle soup is actually one of my least favorite foods ever. I can't stand the stuff. But I don't know about "worst"...

...I had a breathmint after drinking some lemon-lime Gatorade yesterday. If you would call it a "dish", that would probably rank pretty high.

Posts: 48 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Syn, that's exactly how mine turns out on the stove, but not all funky.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother, a loyal Lithuanian, was horrified that while I enjoyed almost all other Eastern European cuisine, I could not stand -- and, in fact, only recently acquired any taste for -- sauerkraut. She was convinced, despite all available evidence, that I just hadn't eaten enough of it to know how good it was. So one day she deliberately made a batch of pierogies -- my favorite food -- stuffed with sauerkraut. I recognize, of course, that this can be loosely called "traditional," if by "traditional" you mean "evil beyond all measure of man."

But the worst dish I ever ate, by virtue of a combination of poor preparation and turning to ashes in my mouth, was the hasty dish of overcooked, unseasoned red beans and rice that my dad tried to cook for us the night mom threw him out of the house for the last time. We sat there at the table, trying to force it down, while she'd hurl a suitcase out of the window; he'd run out, grab the suitcase, bring it inside, and set it down -- by which time she'd've packed another suitcase and thrown it out. It got comical, and to this day I only suspect they divorced because he had to keep running up and down the stairs on his leg of that little adventure and just got too tired to keep up.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

crunchy and stuff?
Mine turns out perfect all the time. I cook it for 2 minutes, one cup in 2 cups of water and some salt.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

No, I'm saying not crunchy or mushy, just right. No Uncle Ben's for me, I think it has a funky taste. And look.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
pierogies -- my favorite food
Dave loves pierogies, too. Cheddar cheese and potato filling? Served boiled, then lightly sauteed, and then topped with grilled onions and sour cream?
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I like periyukas-- Lithuanian pierogi-like food. Potato dough, ricotta or sauerkraut filling, boiled, then broiled or pan-fried, topped with fried onions and bacon and sour cream. [Smile]

[ January 24, 2005, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
TomD:

I'm not a fan of sauerkraut (never could see why my parents would ruin a perfectly good hot dog), but the Romanians do this thing where they pickle entire cabbages and then use the leaves to make cabbage rolls. I had had cabbage rolls (stuffed with ground meat and rice) before -- variations of which can be found in all Eastern European countries -- but had never really like them because of the strong tomato paste taste -- too sweet.

Using the 'sauerkraut' leaves for rolling adds a nice acridity to the dish that balances out the sweetness of the tomato.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Johnny Marzetti, courtesy of the Nineveh Elementary School cafeteria. It was...I'm not even sure what it was...I know it was brown and orange. Our lunchroom monitor, of course, would encourage all of us to take at least one bite. I thought I was the only one, but the day came when I watched another child try it and promptly spit it back out. "Aha!" I thought, "We can now plan to defeat the evil Johnny Marzetti together."

Sadly, it never happened, and the school closed down a few years later. They say it was because of age, but I know it was that damned Johnny Marzetti.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Pork aspic. That is just too disgusting to think about, let alone eat.

On a camping trip once, I made chili for my tent partner while she was off on a hike. I did not really understand the soaking of beans concept at that point, and made the chili sans soaking the beans.

It tasted good, with quite a crunch.

We both awakened at dawn and puked simultaneously over the side of Zion Canyon.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkWizard
Member # 6186

- posted      Profile for DarkWizard   Email DarkWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
My father being the cook that he is has some very interesting combinations for food. My family has so many wierd combinations we were going to start a restaurant of disgusting foods.

The one that sticks out most was beef wings
Chicken wings made with beef gravy

but then I don't eat normal wings so I really can't say how bad that one was.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, I love my husband's family's italian meatball soup, which is basically chicken broth with meat balls. I must say, though, that it took some getting used to.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
ketchupqueen, I know what you mean about rice. I eat Basmati from a local Indian Shop. I wash it, simmer it on the stove for fifteen minutes in double the volume of water to the rice, salt it and it comes out perfectly every single time.

Anything else is not real [Wink] .

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"I like periyukas-- Lithuanian pierogi-like food. Potato dough, ricotta or sauerkraut filling, boiled, then broiled or pan-fried, topped with fried onions and bacon and sour cream."

*happy sigh* Yes.
But neither ricotta nor sauerkraut, please. Potatoes stuffed with potatoes and/or cheese and crushed sausage. But absolutely pan-fried, with sauteed onions, bacon, mushrooms, and sour cream. [Smile]

I need to post a recipe on Dag's site, methinks.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

If you post yours, I'll post mine (my step-mom's grandma's). [Smile]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, please please please post.

Perogies are not available here in any form. I must make my own. And I don't have a recipe.

Of course, my relatives/ancestors call them waraneki, but pronounced vah-ra-ne-tyu. Funky low German. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

the best rice I ever, ever had was biryani made by my stepfather-in-laws sisters from India. It smelled like Heaven and tasted better.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I ususally go deli or store-bought, because I'm lazy, and then make my own sauce. I just sent an E-mail to my mom for her pierogi recipe, though. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'll e-mail my dad for the precise recipe. (It's his fiance's grandma's recipe, but he's the cook in the family. As for me, I call him right before I make it and promptly forget quantities afterwards.)
dkw
Member # 3264

I could post my grandma’s kaseknipfla (another funky low-German version) recipe. But you wouldn’t like it. It’s one of the worst “handful of flour, add milk ‘til it’s wet, stir ‘til it looks right” recipes ever. We finally just videotaped her making them, and then Mom lost the tape.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

dkw, um, you have low-German speaking ancestors? Mennonite? Or what?
dkw
Member # 3264

My mom's side of the family are fairly recent immmgrants from Germany via Russia. They settled in South Dakota, where enough of the German farming families clustered to keep the language alive for a few generations. German was Mom's first language, but the family switched to English only at home when she was 2, so she doesn't remember much.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Dana, did you ever read Giants in the Earth by Rolvaag?

Those images of winter on the Plains stayed with me for years.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.