FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Alert! Marriage Amendment Reintroduced in Congress! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Alert! Marriage Amendment Reintroduced in Congress!
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It has been proven that children suffer no more harm being raised by Gays than those raised by Heteros.
Nothing has been proven in the social sciences.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Slate weighs in on that.

It hasn't even been proven to the standard of social sciences.
quote:
Gay marriages have been happening in Mass
en masse

[ January 26, 2005, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Or in Massechussetts? [Wink]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh* Okay, maybe that's what he meant. It looked like a catholic reference.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, and MPH...congrats on your 5k! Dare we expect a landmark soon?
Well, I don't have anything to give you except for the essay I wrote for my aikido shodan test, no.

Thanks for asking, though.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
No problem [Wink] I live to serve! Or serf. Or something.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Megan. Glad I'm not the only one who saw that particular elephant in the room. [Smile]

Bev- My family life was fairly sucky. The best thing that ever happened to me was my parent's divorce, and my mother's re-marriage to a man who knew how to be a husband and a father.

Traditionally, that wouldn't have happened, because divorce used to be taboo.

My marriage is healthy, 12 years and two boys (7 and 5), and I'm still a hottie. [Big Grin] Life is good.

But I also know a couple who have been together almost as long as we have. They both work, take turns cooking and so forth. They can't have children. They can't adopt, either. As a matter of fact, they can't visit each other in the hospital if either one is in ICU. They can't inherit from each other without costly legal acrobatics (which could be contested by 'real' family anyway).

They are a family. A better family than many more traditional ones I know. But they can't even share health insurance.

That makes me sad.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Olivetta, you touch on many of the levels on which it *does* appeal to me.

I wonder, what percentage of children are glad that their parents divorce? Certainly some are glad, and I believe that some divorces are the best choice--particularly when there is abuse involved. But what about divorces that happen because the parents "aren't in love" anymore? And are most children glad when their parents divorce?

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it depends. Some people are casual about divorce, others need it desparately so that their kids don't have to listen to them fight.
To say that no one should be allowed to get a divorce just causes a lot of misery to those who really aren't meant to be together.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
The question is irrelevant, unless you plan make divorce illegal. You only point out the many ways in which marriage has been shat upon by heterosexuals. Entered into lightly, and so forth.

Though I have personally known many people who were similarly glad of ttheir parents' divorce, and many who are totally effed-up by being forced to live with two parents who should not have been entrusted with HOUSECATS, much less children.

But, I admit, it's irrelevant.

quote:
Olivetta, you touch on many of the levels on which it *does* appeal to me.

When I read that, I thought you were referring to the 'elephant' mentioned above. [Eek!]
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It has been proven that children suffer no more harm being raised by Gays than those raised by Heteros.
Hobbes is right, of course. Nothing like this can be proven.

However, thinking logically: If children can be raised in a monastery or a nunnery, and suffer no harm, if children can be raised by a single parents, or two elderly aunts or uncles or cousins living together, if children can be raised in a multiple adult community, in an orphanage, in a single-sex boarding school, an a community made up of no adults but only older children, if children can grow up in any of these common and loving environments two males or two females living together should have no problems. [Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I was raised by my grandmother and I think I turned out ok.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, except that you're a flaming liberal!
[Eek!]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

[Laugh] Flaming liberal

I think my grandmother was rather conservative though... [Confused]

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! It failed to pass!
[Party]

[Smile]

Here is a letter our Senator sent out:

quote:

January 27, 2005

Thank you for contacting me to share your opposition to the federal
marriage amendment to the Constitution. I share your concerns.
On July 14, 2004, the Senate considered a procedural vote related
to the proposed Constitutional Amendment. I voted against this
measure, and it failed by a vote of 48-50.

This is an emotional issue for many people whose diverse opinions
reflect their strong convictions. The United States Constitution
has
acted as a safeguard for our liberties since 1787. It is my belief
that this celebrated document should only be amended in
extraordinary circumstances. This is not such an occasion. I
believe that we must respect the rights of those in committed
relationships - rights most of us take for granted, like visiting a
critically-ill loved one in the hospital or shared property
protections.

Traditionally, it has been the responsibility of individual states
to
govern the legal requirements for marriage. I believe the legal
aspects of marriage should continue to be a state responsibility
and
that it is not necessary to change our Constitution.

Again, thank you for contacting me about this issue. Please
continue to keep me informed about issues of concern to you.

Sincerely,
Debbie Stabenow
United States Senator

"Make your voices heard. Silence = Death"
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
umm.. is that the most recent one? it says the vote was taken in july of last year.

Wasn't it just re-introduced? =(

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I think she was just reminding people about the previous vote last year...
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.