FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Senator Robert Byrd, The Racist (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Senator Robert Byrd, The Racist
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Sure Dagonee. I'm always willing to help! [Smile]

Buy Haliburton, Lockheed-Martin, Titan, and ChoicePoint. All of these should be good for at least 4 to 6 more years.

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, touche. Well done.

Allow me to respond thusly:

[Taunt]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adam613
Member # 5522

- posted      Profile for adam613   Email adam613         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 2580 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it really baseless to predict that having Codoleeza Rice as Secretary of State is going to lead to us alienating foreign countries? I don't know, I'd figure that would be judging someone on their record. It's possible that she won't do as she has done, but I don't think suggesting that she is going to can be accurately characterized as baseless.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

She was in a position where her responsibility was not to negotiate or engage in diplomacy. If she does as she has done, it would mean she was either a bad NSA or will be a bad Secretary of State.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Sorry, I was talking about the active and apparently whole hearted support of a foreign policy that understandibly alienated many other countries. I'd agree that if she acted the same way as Sec of State as she did as NSA, she'd be a bad Sec of State, but that's not what I was talking about. I was talking about the apparent goals she has actively supported and her demonstrated lack of character and trustworthiness. I probably should have thrown in her inexperience with diplomacy too.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It's no surprise, though, that Bush is nominating a Secretary of State who supports his agenda. If that's what's alienating, then the alienation happened Nov. 2, not this morning.

Dagonee

TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Mr Squicky, I tend to agree with you.

All we can do now is wait and see what happens. Unfortunately, Rice has been loyal to the point of fanaticism when it comes to the Hand Puppet, and I don't expect her to take a different approach as Secretary of State.

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Dagonee, what made Colin Powell such a good Secretary of State was his ability to support the administrations agenda, but to do it within a diplomatically acceptable context. I sincerely doubt that he agreed with the majority of situations he found himself involved in, but he had an inate ability to provide damage-control. Rice doesn't seem to have this ability, and I think we're going to suffer for it.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Dag,
I pretty much agree that the big alienating thing was Geogre Bush's reelection, but the selection of a Secretary of State is a big factor for the future. Our current Secretary of State has displayed a contempt for the opinions of other countries, a record of not being particularly worthy of trust, and very little diplomatic experience. Based on these things, I don't think it's baseless to say that she is going to alienate other countries more than other possible candidates for the position would have. As I also said, it's entirely possible that she'll act very differently, but based on what she's shown, I think predicting that she will alienate other countries is a good bet.

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's no surprise, though, that Bush is nominating a Secretary of State who supports his agenda. If that's what's alienating, then the alienation happened Nov. 2, not this morning.
I understand, but is there something wrong with the Senate being obliged to rubber stamp Bush's appointments? If I were a Senator, I'd probably vote for her, after making sure the hearing was as contentious as it needed to be, but there seems to be something neglectful in approving her merely on the strength of the President's victory in Nov.

[ January 26, 2005, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It looked pretty contentious to me. I don't consider it a rubber stamp.

[ January 26, 2005, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.