FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Passion was snubbed due to content? (Page 7)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: The Passion was snubbed due to content?
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a new one for me, Kwea. Is it a common interpretation in your church?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to spend 40 days and 40 nights in the dessert.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"You keep telling us how the movie impacted you as a non believer. Can I ask why you went and saw it?"

Mainly because I heard it was a good film, and respect Mel Gibson a fair bit, and am interested both in Christian storytelling and quality cinematography. Besides, how often do you get to hear Aramaic in a theater? I've also got a fairly strong stomach; there are only a few movies out there -- and Saving Private Ryan isn't one of them, actually -- that have managed to squick me out. (Oddly, I'm squicked by things which many people are able to shrug off; the restaurant scene in Meaning of Life, for example, is something that I always have to fast-forward past. I have more of a tolerance for violence than I have for grotesquerie.)

But I was very disappointed. The entire film was a sustained, thudding downer. I had expected gore; I had not expected that the gore itself would be presented to the camera in what certainly seemed to me to be a loving fashion.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jay, you are wrong. He was not born with Original sin, but he did sin in his life and atoned for it...
For 40 days and 40 nights, in the desert.

Where are you getting that Jesus sinned?
You are correct to say he was not born with original sin from Adam since he was born of a virgin. But your interruption of the desert is incorrect. He was tempted by the devil there. Temptation is not sin.

In Matthew 4
1 Then was Jesus led up of the spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil. 2 And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.

And in Mark 1 12 And immediately the spirit driveth him into the wilderness. 13 And he was there in the wilderness forty days, tempted of Satan; and was with the wild beasts; and the angels ministered unto him.

And Luke 4
1 And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, 2 Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered.

Plus the Bible also says he was sinless:
Hebrews 4
14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. 15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that nobody, really, can be objective about this movie. The subject matter guarantees that.

And, in fact, I think that perhaps the subject matter of The Passion places it into a realm beyond that of award shows. If you believe in Christ, it seems kind of sacrilegious to try to push for the movie's recognition among secular movies, or worry about whether or not it gets awards and what kind. It's like trying to decide where to rank the Bible on a list of top ten best literary works of all time: "hmmm, I'll vote for it to go somewhere between Anna Karenina and Hamlet." When really, if one is a believer, the Bible doesn't belong on the same list with secular works at all.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It seems that nobody, really, can be objective about this movie. The subject matter guarantees that.
Not really. I just found it kind of blah.

Of course, I had just recently watched Audition, so a couple of itty-bitty whippings hardly registered for me.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Temptation is not sin."

Isn't that called "sinning in the heart" by some sects?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure that's what they mean by sinning in the heart, although certainly I could imagine some sects defining it that way.

I think the boundary would be somewhere between the initial temptaion and dwelling on it.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
He reacted with violence, whipping the preists from the temple, in violation of his own teachings.

He atoned for it in the desert, something he felt he had to do.

I know they claimed he was born without original sin, but that he was human, so those actions would have been a sin.

He didn't break the commandments, but he violated his own teachings, the ones that were to replace the eye-for-an-eye mentality of the Old Testment.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

I believe this site explains Jesus righteous anger at the moneychangers very well.
http://www.rationalchristianity.net/jesus_angry.html

I’m still unsure where you are getting this atonement in the desert when it clearly states that this was temptation from Satan.

And sin in the heart is explained by this verse from Matthew 5:28 -
28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

*nod* Yes, Jay. Would you interpret that to mean that people who are tempted to do something, although they do not act, have sinned already?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, temptation to me is the incitement to sin, whether internal or external, while "looking with lust" always struck me as planning, fantasizing, or something else beyond the mere initial desire to commit the sin.

Clearly, there's a lot of fuzzy area in that distinction.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

I would think that there is a difference between the temptation of a sin and thinking about a sin.
I guess sort of like seeing an open bank vault would be tempting, while seriously thinking about robbing the bank would be sinful.
Sort of like saying you have a beautiful wife is ok.
But if someone were to think they would like to ……(insert own obesity here)….. would be where committing adultery in their heart comes into play.

So yes, I sin all the time. This dang thinking thing stinks.
And before someone from the peanut gallery says it, no I’m not thinking about your wife, but yes she is very beautiful.
I’m personally not sure where the thinking limit with sin comes into play. I’m glad I don’t have to worry about it though since I know I’m forgiven.
Staff meetings are really bad since I always tend to think about different ways to shut the guy up who likes to hear himself talk. That could be a fun thread.

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This dang thinking thing stinks.
By their own words shall ye know them.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

John 8:7 - So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Jay, was that in response to me? If so, I don't see the relevance.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Ok, that’s cool. I apologize.
I took the reference “by their own words shall ye know them” for the joke about “dang thinking thing stinks” to mean that you knew I was a sinner. Which I already admitted to. So…. Since it seemed like stones were being cast and I thought it was a proper reference.
Then again, I guess you could have just been teasing me about the thinking stinking.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Jay, his whole argument was that no one should, for they were all sinners.

Notice he cast no stone himself...

[Big Grin]

Also, the temptation happened in the desert, no doubt about it, but he went into the desert to atone, IIRC.

If he had not sinned, what was he atoning for?

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't recall any Bible verse that even hints at attonement in the desert. [Confused]

As to the "cast the fist stone" keep in mind He says "nor do I...", meaning he isn't part of the group that doesn't cast the stones for sin. [Razz]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

I would disagree. Jesus didn’t throw a stone because he was showing forgiveness. You’re not telling the whole story:

John 8
1 Jesus went unto the mount of Olives. 2 And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them. 3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, 4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. 5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? 6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. 7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. 8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. 9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? 11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

I still don’t know what you are referencing when you say he went into the desert to atone. I’ve looked up atone in my Strong’s exhaustive concordance of the Bible and it’s not there. Atonement is. Mostly in the Old Testament and the 1 place in the new is:

Romans 5:11 - And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

So…… more information is required other then you just stating it please.
I’m not sure if you’re confusing when Jesus went off to pray, which he did frequently. And at times was very upset while praying. Could this be what you are talking about?

Kwea
Member # 2199

I am not saying I am an authority, or trying to quote the bible...I would provide more documentation for it if I could, but I think this is more an issue of interpetation than of actual quotation.

If I say "blah says that..." I would make sure I provided documentation, but I am not sure I can for this. I am not saying that it is "official", just that it was taught to me as if it was... [Big Grin]

I rememeber being taught this as a RC, too... [Big Grin]

As a matter of fact, I think it was during chatecism class where it came up.

Trust me, if I have time I will try to find where I learned that, but I am not misremembering...I remember it quite well, it was something that we went over more than once.

See, this is the problem with parents teaching classes...this isn't the first time I rememered something (and remembred it well) I was taught in classes that turned out to not be official RC Doctrine.

Too bad, I think it was one of the reasons I believed as long as I did.....this makes mre soese, and makes his sacrifice more poignent, I think.

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the significant things about the cleansing of the temple to me is that Jesus didn't explode in anger and scream and yell and turn over tables and act a fool.

From John Ch. 2:

quote:
When it was almost time for the Jewish Passover, Jesus went up to Jerusalem. In the temple courts he found men selling cattle, sheep and doves, and others sitting at tables exchanging money. So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple area, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables.
He saw them, but then he left and made a whip out of cords.

That takes time - time during which he was considering exactly what he was doing. He wasn't in an out-of-control rage, he knew exactly what he was doing.

Jesus was fully God and fully man, and it was no sin for the fully God part of him to be angry. Not all forms of anger are sinful - is it a sin for me to be angry at someone who abuses small children? It would be a sin for me to act on that anger improperly, but I don't think righteous indignation in and of itself is sinful.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

And how does whipping people relate to turn the other cheek? I was taught that he DID lose it, although with reason, and that while he could have dne worse he was still violating his own teachings there in the temple.

It was used as a way of showing Jesus' human side, ever and over again. That much I remember.

foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
"I’m glad I don’t have to worry about it though since I know I’m forgiven"

Jay, I dont really understand this statement. You dont have to worry about sinning because you are already forgiven for any sins you may commit in the future? Regardless of what they are?
That must be nice.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Standard Protestant thought processes though...after all, when Jesus died we weren't born, so he MUST have died for all our future sins as well... [Big Grin]

Of course saying that as an excuse to sin more isn't really repentance, regardless of what lip service is said.

(not a poke at you Jay, just at those who think that way...I am sure we all know some like that.... [Big Grin] )

Kwea

[ January 30, 2005, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
Ok, that’s cool. I apologize.
I took the reference “by their own words shall ye know them” for the joke about “dang thinking thing stinks” to mean that you knew I was a sinner. Which I already admitted to. So…. Since it seemed like stones were being cast and I thought it was a proper reference.
Then again, I guess you could have just been teasing me about the thinking stinking.

No, no, I'm not accusing you of being a sinner! What would be the use of that? I am accusing you of not thinking for yourself.
Jay
Member # 5786

Not thinking for myself? Well, ok. Not sure why you’re thinking this. But oh well. I get accused of this every now and then.

And yes, Kwea is right about future sins. And I wasn’t meaning it as a license to sin. That would be wrong way to take it and I would be leery of someone who would try and take that liberty. Anyway, guess it is a fine line since we all do sin anyway.

I like Belle’s points about righteous anger too. Very well put.

King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
I get accused of this every now and then
Yes, and then you say yourself that 'this thinking thing stinks', well, to a nasty atheist mind like mine, you condemn yourself out of your own mouth.
Jay
Member # 5786

I’m not sure if you’re trying to be funny or insulting.
It’s so strange to have to defend joking around statements like “this thinking thing stinks” since it is obviously sarcastic. But yes, I was meaning that being able to think sinful thoughts does stink.

I used to be atheist too, but then I started thinking for myself. Knew that things were to perfect for it all to be by chance. Examined evidence for creation and learned the truth.

Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And how does whipping people relate to turn the other cheek?
Does it say anywhere that people were whipped? It talks about driving sheep and cattle, but does it specify people getting whipped?
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
To say that people watch it for the same reasons that people watch snuff films is either a bigoted statement or said out of ignorance about people of faith. I can understand why watching this can be, at least for some people, a religious experience. The person who talked about Saving Private Ryan got it right I think. Besides, it is supposed to contain a lot of Catholic symbolism that extends beyond the mere pain and blood.

Yet I believe, as many LDS seem to have said about it already, I will not watch it because it doesn't touch upon my religious emphasis of the Atonement. It's gruesomness as reported is beyond my spiritual needs. I am much more interested in Jesus Christ's Life, Death, and Resurrection as a whole. The Sacrament of bread and wine is what God instituted to remember the Sacrifice and not a gory film.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.