FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So I think I might have OCD, how do I tell..... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So I think I might have OCD, how do I tell.....
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
From what I have heard about it I suffer similar symptons.........but I'm not sure how to tell.......
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
http://psychcentral.com/ocdquiz.htm
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You scored a total of 19

Based upon your responses to this screening measure, you are most likely suffering from an obsessive-compulsive disorder.

[Angst]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Bogus test. I got a 14.
And my answers were very normal

Yeah yeah yeah, no comments from the peanut gallery

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I scored a 2.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I got 2.

But then, I suffer from a lack of compulsive or obsessive anything.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

I think the impressive thing, the one y'all are missing, is that Steve asked the question at 5:35 and I answered it, with link, at 5:35. [Razz]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail] Googlequeen..
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for pirates
Member # 4781

- posted      Profile for advice for pirates           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to retake that test just to be sure.
Posts: 22 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
I scored 20.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
This is like a nightmarish analogy:

NFL quarterbacks: Autism :: Hatrackers:OCD

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Bah. Y'all are under acheivers. OCD is the least of my problems and I got a 33.

Alucard, I think you're probably right.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
22? 22. Well, my mom always did say I have OCD tendencies...

[ January 28, 2005, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, this at the bottom kind of bothered me:

quote:
Have you considered professional online counseling?
Credentialled mental health professionals are standing by, right now, to help you learn more about this issue and how to help yourself change it. Try it today and see for yourself at the online counseling site, HelpHorizons. It's completely confidential, convenient, secure, and involves no snooping insurance companies.

Sure, let's plant the idea of "snooping insurance companies" in the minds of people who are worried enough about their mental health to take a quiz here...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a 1.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I also got a 29 (moderate anxiety) on the "anxiety disorder" quiz. I knew I'd been experiencing some social anxiety, but I didn't know it was that assessable...
Kayla
Member # 2403

quote:
Credentialled mental health professionals are standing by, right now, to help you learn more about this issue and how to help yourself change it. at the online counseling site, .
The fact that they misspelled Credentialed didn't bother you? At least you actually got the name of the site. It came up like that (points up) on my screen, complete with extra periods, commas and missing web addresses.

[ January 28, 2005, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Kayla ]

Kayla
Member # 2403

I got a 60 on the anxiety one. Go figure.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I got a 40!! A 40!!!! I didn't think I was that bad.....oh well I guess OCD can't be that bad..... [Dont Know]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a 12 too, and i gotta say, considering how many things i answered "mild" or "no" on the test, i think this is more an indicator of whether you're a worrywort and/or a woman.

[Wink]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I have to say, I was kind of "duh" on the question about whether you worry that people are going to be hurt because you did something wrong. Isn't that what it means to be the mother of young children?
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I scored a 20. I must point out that many of these questions were vague enough that I felt compelled to answer "yes" to even though I did not consider the topic of the question to be a medical condition I suffered from.

Also, many of the questions reminded me of the ADD quiz from the advertisement for Strattera, in which, yes at some time once or twice in my life I did feel this way, Yes...

Yet, on others, I could emphatically answer No:

For example:

(spoiler)

quote:
Have you worried about acting on an unwanted and senseless urge or impulse, such as physically harming a loved one, pushing a stranger in front of a bus, steering your car into oncoming traffic; inappropriate sexual contact; or poisoning dinner guests?

[ January 28, 2005, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Alucard... ]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
10. Bah. I don't have OCD (though I felt compelled to take the quiz anyway =)

Hmm.. on the other hand I felt compelled to wash my hands three times and once more with alcohol this morning after cleaning up cat poo...

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I got 18. And some of those I answered yes are the most telling, to me. My inner demons . . . Need to check up on that.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Got a 7.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
21. And disturbingly, the OCD tendencies have largely abated since I started taking antidepressants. The thing is, this really doesn't interfere with my life, so I don't think I qualify as actually having OCD (anymore...), even though this test says I do.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
12. Which they claim means I barely score high enough to be labeled OCD.

Pfft. They're setting the bar way too low -- hmm, maybe they're selling something? [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a 22...apparently the meds they've got me on just make me happier about being OCD rather than stopping it
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think the impressive thing, the one y'all are missing, is that Steve asked the question at 5:35 and I answered it, with link, at 5:35.
Congrats, you scored a 99 [Smile]

I got a 2. This makes sense. If you could only see my computer desk right now [Smile] I think I suffer from the absolute opposite of OCD...I call it apathy.

[ January 28, 2005, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Boris ]

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I call it bliss.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

I call it nuclear mind.

And if anyone recognizes that qoute, you are as sick as I...

Kayla
Member # 2403

Scientology?
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I scored a 2 on the OCD test, but I got 103 on the ADD test.
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I would gladly trade some of my overly-laid back tendencies for a little of the compulsive stuff. We could balance each other out. Anyone?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I would get ready of it if I could. It isn't so bad I can't do anything....but I have some problems....
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
___

It's funny because I'm a wreck, it's just not motivated by anything on that list.

[ January 28, 2005, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
OCD Test: 23
Anxiety Screening Test: 32
ADD Test: 50

My sleep pattern seems to fit the Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorder that's mentioned on the site. However, I don't believe my sleep pattern affects my social or occupational situations.

I have crazy sleep patterns in which I have a hard time falling asleep. I tend to keep myself awake with different thoughts and counting or reciting of silly snippets of words. Once I am asleep, though, I sleep pretty well. Too well, actually. I have very lucid dreams most nights so I wake up feeling more tired than when I first went to sleep. This has been going on as long as I can remember. Yet, at the same time. I can be woken up pretty easily if someone calls my name or the phone rings. Once I am awake, I rarely fall back asleep. There are times where I do seem to fall into a normal sleep pattern, but it only lasts a few weeks.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
OCD: 14 - not surprising. I knew it wasn't a problem, but I was an anal retentive accountant, so it's there at least a little.

Now, I no longer have a real outlet for my analness. [Angst]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
So if one does suffer from OCD, is there anything that can be done? Does therapy help? Are there medications that help?

Just curious actually.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, both medication and therapy an help.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I was diagnosed with OCD back when I was 13 (I was also diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder at the time)

How do you know if you have OCD? Well, let me describe some of my symptoms, and some of the symptoms other people I know who have OCD have had.

I would need to buy. Buy buy buy. But there was an angle to it. I need the WHOLE collection of action figures. I needed every different drum piece to enhance my set. etc. Without having every piece in a set of something, I would feel incomplete. It just wasn't enough if I was missing a piece.

If I tapped my right leg, I would need to tap the left to make myself feel complete. If I tapped my right leg twice, or stomped my right foot twice, I would need to do the same to the left. Otherwise I would feel incomplete.

While being driven in the car, I needed to imagine a thin blue laserlike light touching down to the ground in between each tall standing structure, whether it be a street lamp, a fence, some cars, whatever would catch my eye. Otherwise I would feel very incomplete.

I'm a very messy person. But when I would clean my room after it got disgustingly messy, I would spend a few hours on it until everything was completely spick and span and tidy. And I couldn't stop in the middle, or else I would feel very incomplete.

People I've spoken to who have the disorder have shared some of my symptoms. Someone else had the same leg tapping problem I had. I've heard of others having the cleaning problem. And there's also people who constantly need to wash their hands, etc. (Have you ever seen "As Good As It Gets", or the new film, "The Aviator"?)

Over the years, I got to the point where I had control of my OCD, and was able to stop taking medication for it. Not everyone is so lucky (I'm still on meds for being Bipolar, and probably will be for life.) Granted, I still have some OCD left in me, but it's mostly unnoticeable, and I can control the amount that's left.

There are doctors and meds out there that can help.

I can't stress this enough.

So many people have psychological disorders and refuse to see doctors about it, or take medication for it, for various reasons.

If help exists, and it does, you should grab hold of it. It makes life so much better.

:-)

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

- posted      Profile for Lisha-princess   Email Lisha-princess         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a 17. Which did not surprise me.
Posts: 119 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice post, noah. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, thanks for that Noah. [Smile] It's amazing to me what people are carrying around with them, the struggles that we all have that no one really knows about. The more I learn about you folks, the more I am impressed with the mettle that you're all made of.

[Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
There's also no age limit on OCD. People think that they don't have to worry about their kids when they are young because most mental heath issues appear during adolescence, but I basically suffered from some kind of depression between the ages of six and eleven. I heard voices I could not control telling me one day that I was great and the next that I was disgusting, I was up and down all the time. I had an overwhelming fear of mortality. I suffered from OCD, mostly the numbers kind, my numbers were even - my perfect number was 4 - and I counted everything, (despite the fact that I hated maths), I had to do everything an even number of times. I also had obsessions with colours and tapping and checking but to a lesser extent. It got to the point where it controlled almost every moment of my life. I hated it and yet I loved it because it was the only thing I knew that made sense. It was such a comfort. CalvinMaker, ‘incomplete’ is the perfect word. I felt like there was a black pit of horribleness behind everything just waiting for me to stop counting and fall in.

My OCD was noticed and then ignored by everyone because kids don't have mental problems. My mother didn’t get me counselling or anything because she hoped that it would just go away. Eventually, I fought it on my own and won, but for years I had been convinced someone I loved would die if I stopped. When it got to the point where I felt like I'd rather die than live like that anymore, I managed to control it. I was sure that I was the only person in the world who had ever had such an experience until I discovered that OCD existed many years later. It would have been good to know that I wasn’t alone at the time. I spent a lot of time as a kid, worrying that I was crazy. In fact, I have discovered that there is a history of OCD and depression in my own family.

So my point is basically, if you have kids, keep and eye out and don’t just discount symptoms of mental heath problems. Although I am pretty clear of OCD now, I still have to fight it every day and although I am proud of having dealt with it successfully on my own, I think that counselling, when I needed it most probably would have helped me very much.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
I experienced most of the things that I could answer yes to, in a period shortly after my fathers death. In a place where life wasn't life anymore, I would escape to myself, so I wouldn't have to think or experience anything else. All of the things that I used to do have gone, with the exception of while I'm in the passenger seat of any vehicle I will see strange things happening (depending on my mood).

I attribute most of it to mild depression. Or having a lack of 'Important' things to focus on.

Edit: oh, I scored a 10

[ January 29, 2005, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: raventh1 ]

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 

I do everything but counting and touching, but the severity of it affecting my life is not as bad as it was before I was diagnosed.
I started out at The OC foundation after I was first diagnosed. I was in therapy for a few months and then I did a lot of self care with cognitive behavioral therapy. Mainly, it consists of challenging my compulsive thoughts, or accepting that they are not "me". They are me, but not the part of me that is supposed to be doing the thinking.

I think on the OCF site it mentions that women can have heightened symptoms during pregnancy or other times of physiological stress. Diabetics often have OC symptoms. This is probably due to the interaction of insulin and seratonin, and SSRIs (raise seratonin like Prozac) are prescribed for OCD. As I have mentioned elsewhere, winter with the short days makes it worse.

It can be helped by getting as much sunlight as possible, moderate exercise, and a regular sleep pattern. Carb loading also works, but usually will cause weight gain.

P.S. All kinds of stress, like what rav mentioned, can increase the symptoms if you are a person prone to this sort of thing. I think I have some genetic predisposition. Kayla, I really related to some things you've mentioned lately about phobias (the thank you thread) and hypervigilance. "Me... me... also me. Boy, I am really close on this one."

[ January 29, 2005, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: mothertree ]

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I took the test over and over again.

I can't stop.

I got a 6

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave] [Hail] Bob.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.