FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If you're in favor of gay rights do you still think Wal-Mart is that bad?

Author Topic: If you're in favor of gay rights do you still think Wal-Mart is that bad?
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - Wal-Mart Stores Inc. is expanding the definition of "immediate family" in its employee-ethics policy to account for laws in states that recognize domestic partnerships and civil unions.

The change drew quick praise from a major gay-rights lobbying organization.

The revised policy, which was disclosed Wednesday in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission (news - web sites) recognizes that in some states "immediate family" includes an employee's same-sex partner.

The revisions deal with sections of the company's ethics code that bar employees from using confidential information to benefit themselves or immediate family members and from approaching Wal-Mart's suppliers about jobs for immediate family members, the company said Thursday.

Wal-Mart spokesman Gus Whitcomb declined to say whether the change would affect benefits for employees of the nation's largest employer or whether the revision meant the company was taking a position on same-sex marriage or civil unions.

"We updated our statement of ethics," Whitcomb said. "That brings us into compliance with state laws in terms of how they look at individuals with regard to policies" where a worker's "immediate family" would be a factor, he said.

For instance, in Massachusetts, where same-sex marriage is legal, Wal-Mart would expect its workers in that state to abide by the company's ethics policy as it pertains to families, Whitcomb said.

The Human Rights Campaign, a national lobbying group for gay and lesbian issues, praised Wal-Mart for expanding its definition of "immediate family."

"We are encouraged by this sign showing America's heartland employer understands same-sex couples share the responsibilities that come with being a family," Daryl Herrschaft, deputy director of Human Rights Campaign's WorkNet program, said in a statement.

Wal-Mart, based in Bentonville, is the world's largest retailer.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050128/ap_on_bi_ge/wal_mart_family

I was a little confused by the fact that this seems to be a restrictive measure more than one that increases benefits, but if the gay rights groups think this is a step forward, I'm inclined to defer to their opinion.

Edit: [Razz]

[ January 28, 2005, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: newfoundlogic ]

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you mean 'defer'. 'Differ' means precisely the opposite, so this is a case where it does make a difference. Not just nitpicking.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always been neutral toward Wal-Mart. I see that it drives smaller companies out of business, and the loss of local flavor makes me sad. But I don't froth at the mouth about it. It's just a fact of life, when it comes to capitalist-style competition. I support local shops when I feel they add something to my life, but I also shop at Wal-Mart.

You seem to take it for granted that people who are in favor of gay rights are the same people who hate Wal-Mart. I find that interesting.

As regards this policy . . . okay. I have no real opinion on it. They're just recognizing that immediate family means different things in different states, depending on how the state views gay marriage. Am I correct in assuming this is only relevant in a couple of states or so?

I would have much more respect for them if they extended same-sex partner benefits across the board (i.e., in all states), regardless of whether or not the state recognizes same-sex unions.

Like Disney does.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm for gay rights and I've always liked Wal-Mart. It was founded in a small town not far from my home town. It's been a boon to the local economy as well as saving the residents of North West Arkansas tons of money.

However, the farther away from Bentonville you get, the lower the quality of the individual wal-mart stores.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
However, the farther away from Bentonville you get, the lower the quality of the individual wal-mart stores.
I must be pretty far from Bentonville. [Razz]

A friend of mine actually has a theory that every door into a WalMart store is actually a portal that instantly transports you to Alabama. Sure makes sense...

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no opinion on either subject. Just thought I'd add some WalMart information.

http://laplaza.org/~totem/facts.html

http://www.cnylabor.org/slacwal-mart.html

http://www.pbs.org/itvs/storewars/stores3.html

http://www.aflcio.org/corporateamerica/walmart/walmart_7.cfm

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2004/08/02_walmart.shtml

That last one was about how much WalMart costs California taxpayers for public assistance for it's employees.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kayla.

NFL: The fact that a major corporation can win praise for simply deciding to obey the laws of the states it operates in is, to me, a sign of how unbalanced the labor laws are in this country.

"Wow look! WalMart decided to obey the laws! Yippee! We didn't have to pay millions in legal bills to force them to do it!"

[ January 29, 2005, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
In a word,

Yes.

Not only does this not change any of the horrendous business practices of the great blue giant, but it really isn't even all that great for members of the homosexual community. Sure, in the states that have already taken a progressive view of homosexuality, Wal-Mart employees will now be able to take advantage of the astronomically priced inflexible health care plan, but this is less a statement about Wal-Mart's compassion that it is a statement of legality. If they really had compassion, they would permit domestic partners to join insurance policies in eery state, like my company does. I live in freakin' Texas and if I were gay and had a domestic partner, he could be on my insurance plan.

Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The fact that a major corporation can win praise for simply deciding to obey the laws of the states it operates in is, to me, a sign of how unbalanced the labor laws are in this country.
It's not at all clear that Wal-Mart must adopt the local state's definition of immediate family for its own policies. So they likely were not disobeying any law with their previous policy.

Some cynicism is due here, however. The adoption of those definitions only applies to policies that restrict what employees can do. It doesn't benefit them in any way unless they extend this new definition to benefits.

Dagoonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kyrie
Member # 6415

- posted      Profile for kyrie   Email kyrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I do tend to fome at the mouth about Walmart, with good reason I believe. However, I respect the fact that they publicly made this change to follow the law, instead of covertly makeing a change in their rules with out much of an anounsment.
Posts: 264 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag, I wondered about that. I read it as the new definition only applying to the ethics code, NOT to benefits.

Although, will that open them up to lawsuits if they don't also provide benefits? I would think it would at least make the plaintiff's case stronger, if the company has one definition of "immediate family" that inculdes same-sex partners and another that doesn't.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It's very customary to allow entities to define terms within the context of a particular plan or regulation, so I don't think it hurts Wal-Mart's case. For example, "dependant" in the tax code is different than dependant in social security contexts.

If I were the lawyer for an employee fired for violating the new, more restrictive ethics policy, I might try to make an eqauitable argument that they can't extend authority over people they refuse to grant the other attributes of "immediate family" to. But the ethics are rules for the employee, so I think it'd be weak.

Still, that kind of discrepency is likely to get a judge or jury looking for a way to decide in your favor.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
In the midst of WalMart's major PR push to polish its image, I can see this particular public announcement in a very cynical light. It's something they would have to do anyway, and it's NOT really affecting anything. I suppose it could lose them some support among some conservatives & some religious groups, but then they can point to the state laws and how they had no choice.

It's nothing to praise them for.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, yeah. It’s expands the definition of family in the policies that prohibit you from doing favors for people in your family, but NOT in the areas that benefit people in your family.

I’ll say that's nothing to praise them for.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to see a bunch of Mom and Pop stores ganging up and driving WalMart out of business. Mostly just for the ironic value.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Never happen. They don't have the buying power to undercut prices or obtain goods from factories they own (or buy so much from that they control them in any event).
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see people not shopping at WalMart and that driving them out of business.

If I can manage it living below the poverty level, I think just about everyone can manage it.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
It's something they would have to do anyway
It's not clear at all that this is the case, Bob.

[ January 29, 2005, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I do still think Wal-Mart is "that bad". This is not going to convince me to shop there.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.