FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » *mutters* Insane electric bill...

Author Topic: *mutters* Insane electric bill...
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
We just got our electric bill (which, btw, we are supposed to get by the 15th). Every time I look at an electric bill, I get more angry. Month after month, they've been going up. We're in a 1000 sq. ft. apartment, and this is what our bill looks like:

27.04 ELEC
42.83 BASIC COST
36.19 USE CHARGE

106.06 AMOUNT DUE

This is ridiculous! I'm not arguing with the $27 for what we actually used. But to tack on $78 of charges that we have no control over is insane, and the amount keeps going up every month!

We are supposed to have deregulated energy here, and in our last complex (2 miles away, but in a different city), we had a choice of two electric companies. Here, though, my husband went and talked to the manager, and she said that, A) we don't have a choice in the matter of who we use; she pays one big bill and we are given the piece for our apartment (which is exactly how it worked at the last place, just with two companies to choose between, neither of which was this one and neither of which had rates this insane), and B) that electricity is high everywhere (not as high as this!) and that she didn't think changing would do a thing.

What are we supposed to do? Even if we conserved energy even more than we were doing and used half of what we did during the last billing period, we'd still be hit with a $92 electric bill! It doesn't seem fair that we can't switch to a cheaper company, or that the manager can't, when I have been led to believe that it is state law that we have to have a choice (the back of our bill even says "RCI Utilities, Inc. does not provide your utility, only your utility bill.")

Any ideas? [Frown] We really can't afford to keep paying $100 electric bills!

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, the idea of having more than one energy company to choose from... enticing.

Anyways, have you tried calling the customer service line for the electric company and having the extra charges explained? Have you checked the meter yourself to see that the readings are accurate? What steps have you taken so far to rectify this situation?

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you spoken with the other tenents to see if their rates are equally outrageous? If all of you go together, the manager might be more inclined to listen. It's been said that there's strength in numbers.

If all the tenents ask the manager to do something, maybe something will get done.

(((ketchupqueen)))

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Derrell, that's a good idea. We can try that.

PC, the back of our bill says, "This statement is not from your local utility company. It reflects submetered or allocated utility usage. RCI Utilities, Inc. does not provide your utility, only your utility bill. For any questions, please contact your manager." I suppose we could talk to the company, but I have a feeling they'd refer us right back to the manager.

I don't doubt we have an accurate reading; the amount of energy we used looks about right (we have electric heat, an electric stove, etc.), but the other charges are really starting to tick me off. What makes me maddest is that we reduce our energy consumption each month, and the bills still go up and up and up, and we have no ability to switch companies, which we should.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
o_O

Holy crap. I just got my electric bill yesterday and it was $29. Yours sounds INSANE, just like you said.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have gas heat and the other stuff electric than that seems high for heating cost. Unless you have an electric hot water heater.

If your heat is electric and your water heater is electric then the bill is probably on. I would also bet that they have included some of the general purpose cost to the complex, like keeping the outsidelights on and such.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

msquared, I'm not talking about the charge to us for what our meter reads; I believe that's right. And I can see a cost for outside lights, etc. being tacked on. It's the base cost, and the fact that we are not allowed to change companies to one with a lower base cost (and I know they're out there) that makes me really mad.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The billing company is likely charging one of those fees directly. I'd be suspicious of kickbacks to the manager - being charged by a company that you are not a customer of is a bad position to be in all around.

Check your lease for the exact language on utilities, and then ask the manager for the calculations on how the electricity is being divied up. Tell him you think there's a mistake and you want to check it out.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest also researching what companies are available and what their basic fees and use charges would be, so that you have some numbers to back up your argument. Gather this before you approach the other tenants as well, so that you can sell them the idea that they really could save quite a bit of money.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Everything in my apartment is electric, but my electric bill is only $15-$20 during the winter.

My electrical description:
I have 2-3 computers and the refrigerator plugged in and running constantly. I only run the heat when it's extremely cold outside, I do cook using the electric stove, microwave, and toaster. My hot water heater is shared with my a few of my neighbors, so I don't know if they're charging me for that. Total apartment size, approximately 350 square feet, ceiling is just under 8 feet. Oh, I do have a wonderful heat sink through a sliding glass door.

Now, in the summer, when I have to run the A/C fairly consistently, the bill jumps to $30-$45.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Whiners. Try owning a house. [Smile]

(Seriously, that bill seems very high for an apartment, even with shared costs.)

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Whiners.
Get a grip, Tom. Even I, one of the rudest, most foul creatures on the face of Planet Hatrack, would never dare say such a thing. You know, you ought to have more sympathy in such a case. You must decompress your pretentious ego. We're all very sad that you have a hard time owning a house: but come on! A little sympathy here!

JH

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

JH, I think it was a joke... [Smile]
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
My God, how could you, Tom! Assaulting ketchupqueen with your hard heart! The angels weep.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
That was my point, it seems very expensive for an apartment.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, you guys are at least cheering me up a little.

And thanks for the advice, everyone. Especially Dag, Amka, and Derrell. I'm going to check on all those things.

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think it was a joke...
So do I.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, 'cause your reply comes across as a little over the top. If you were trying to do what Ryuko did (points to Ryuko's post), maybe you should add a smiley or tone it down a little or something? 'Cause I didn't get the point. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I was paying about that much for an apartment electric bill before I moved in with my parents.

For TWO months at a time. During a hot summer, when I used the AC a fair bit.

For one month, that is simply insane.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan, I didn't realize you didn't have a funny bone. That must be tough.

Now, granted, I have a hundred year old house, and all, but. . .

My gas bill this month was $135. That's just hot water and heat. We keep the heat set at 65 during the day and 68 when my husband and son come home till 10 then it drops to 62. Also from 5-7 in the morning it's at 68.

Our electric bill is Usually at least $100, but that includes our water bill. (This is the strangest town. They do water and electric together.) And all of our lights are those funky electric saver lights that cost ten buck apiece. But the electric alone (without the water, sewer and trash) is still $52 this month and it's at the lowest it's ever been. This summer I'm expecting bills of about $180, $130 of which will be electric, but by then, the gas bill will be $20. The way I figure it, my hot water costs about $20 a month and my heat cost me $115 this month.

The gas thing bugs me too. We have a facility charge, a residential commodity cost, a purchased gas adjustment, franchise fee, WNA factor (what the heck? Weather Normalization Amount? WNA adjusts for variations above and below normal temperatures. What does that mean?)

The thing that irks me about it is that I'm being charged for the gas twice. The residential commodity cost is "charge reflects the cost for gas used during the current billing period, before taxes and other charges," while the purchased gas adjustment says, "this measure reflects market increases and decreases in the price we pay for gas without markup or other charges. It may vary monthly and is based on the amount of gas you use."

So, I'm paying for gas, and I'm paying for gas again, is what they are telling me.

But, I plan for water, gas and electric to be about $200 a month. And then there's the phone (which I hate with a passion, but for some reason, everyone seems to think a person "has to have one") which is $41 and cable/internet at $152. 0_o You know, if I didn't tape so many shows, I'd get satellite in a second. But I haven't figure out if I'd be able to tape two things, watch a third and have my son and husband be able to watch two different shows in their rooms or not. Doesn't everyone need at least 5-7 different channels at the same time? (I can use my husband's two extra VCRs in case of emergency.) [ROFL]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] I figured my post might make his joke a little more obvious. Don't worry, JH. I get you.

(subtle high-five)

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Living with my parents is like having a $1000 mental-bill every day.

EDIT: I have a funny bone, I'm just from a different culture. OK?

[ January 30, 2005, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]

mackillian
Member # 586

Try paying actual therapy and medication bills after you move out. [Wink]
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

If I 'eliminated' my parents, I'd be offered several million US$ from various authorities for the courageous effort.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I have head an electric bill be $145 for the month..I have all electric heat, and it was during the major cold snap last year that set all sorts of records for low Temps.

Also, I didn't realize how bad our windows were, so once I covered the windows with plastic the bill dropped to about $65-70 for the winter months. It runs about $35 per month during the summer/spring months.

I think it is possible that the landlord/manager is ripping you off, possibly charging all of the tenants for the full amount of the electric hookup. I know that has happened to me with gas, where a landlord was charging me for the water heater gas bill, even though all the apartments used it. The apartment use to be hers, so she had the gas hooked up for the laundry to her gas bill, and forgot about it when she moved and rented it out.

I would contact the electric company and have them go over the contract, and check your lease....you could also contact the government agency (Dept of Energy, I think) and they could send you information on your rights as a consumer.

I think the law states that you have to have a choice...but the "you" mentioned is the person who makes the decisions...i.e. the owner/manager of the building.

Where do you live again? The laws vary depending on location, I think.

Good luck!

Kwea

[ January 30, 2005, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"But I haven't figure out if I'd be able to tape two things, watch a third and have my son and husband be able to watch two different shows in their rooms or not"

In general, satellite service will cost you $5 a month per extra tuner. You'll also need multiple receivers -- but this isn't a problem nowadays, since they throw those in with the plans, usually. And I know at least one company that throws in receivers capable of playing two stations at once (again, for $5 extra a month), mainly for Picture-in-Picture capability.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet none of you have ever had this excuse from a utility company:

When I started getting a bill for gas in an apartment that had no gas appliances or even a physical connection to the gas lines I called the gas company to find out what the charges were for.

I was told that I was being charged for the potential to have gas.

[ January 30, 2005, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: Troubadour ]

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
"And this charcoal dust I've enclosed in the envelope has the potential to become a diamond."
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Tom, that's the problem. By the time I get an internet provider, extra phone line, and all the extra tuners, I might as well keep the too expensive cable I've got now. What I need to do is just get an antenna and get rid of the internet. My husbands seems to think that's a bad idea, though. He tells me it's because I need something to do, but I think it's because he wouldn't be able to play poker online anymore. [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Alternately, you could just not watch five different channels at the same time. [Smile] Seriously, you might find that something like a Tivo unit makes having multiple tuners less necessary, because it's rare that you'll ever be unable to record a show you want to watch.

[ January 30, 2005, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Kayla
Member # 2403

Hi, my name is Kayla.

<insert "Hi, Kayla" here>

I have little OCD problem.

You think I want to spend my time watching idiotic sit-coms and poorly written teledramas? [Wall Bash]

skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
It is the quest, and not the fruit, that is your reward Kayla. [Wink] I think TiVo is silly also.
Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
From previous posts, I remember that you live in the Dallas area. I'm in Richardson, and my electric bill was $75.66 for the past month in a 978 square foot apartment, and that was actually one of our lower bills.
It went:
69.57 for energy charge (674 kwh)
$5.34 for Base Customer Charge
$.75 for Sales Tax

I don't understand why your extra fees are so much. I'm curious how much they charge per kwh, do they perhaps charge less per kwh, but more in the other areas? I think the rates in Texas (or at least this area) are generally higher than most places. I don't think there's any hope of getting it as low as the twenty dollar range that some people quoted. Still, I say look at your lease pretty closely, because I think that legally you should be able to pick your energy. I'm with TXU Energy and I've heard that others like Direct Energy are even cheaper. I hope you get it figured out.

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Amancer, we're in Richardson, too! [Embarrassed] You're coming to DallasCon, right? [/offtopic]

Anyway, the reason our unit charge is lower is that we used 318 kwh during the period. (As I said, we keep cutting back on usage, even as our bill climbs higher.) We're with RCI, I don't even know exactly who that is. If TXU is that much cheaper, either we're getting fleeced by the complex, the company, or both. Jeff is going to talk to the manager tomorrow, and we'll bring up that TXU seems to have lower rates. (What is your rate per kwh? Ours is $0.08501, and has stayed steady at that for at least a couple of months.)

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Ketchupqueen -- I would definately be willing to trade you electric bills...

and we don't even use electricity in our heating -- it is propane.

I know what are our biggest electricity hogs in our house:
Electric water heater
Electric (220) clothes dryer
Refrigerator
Freezer
Water pump (that supplies all water to the house)

Yeah, often it is nearer to $200 per month or over. I don't think we've EVER had one under $100.

And let's not even talk about propane prices.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Our gas/electric bill averages about $100 per month, and our water comes to around $50.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I think I'll live in some monastery. Economical.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, apparently, even though no one told us this, our heater and water heater are gas-powered. However, it still seems a tad high to me, I'm going to look into other rates. (We hardly ever run the heater/air conditioner, which has major problems to begin with.)
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a $250 electric bill last year so we've really cut back on our usage...

We keep the thermostat at 60 and other than that we only heat the room we're in with a space heater.

Our bill this month was $166.

yay for california electric bills =(

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

We set the thermostat at 62. That means that when it's actually about 40, it kicks in.

Some nights when it's really cold, we do have to set it a little higher, so the baby doesn't wake 3 times because it's so cold.

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, I feel your propane pain. *looks out at her propane tank* Let's see...we've lived here since December and will be having it filled for the third time soon. [Grumble]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
((space opera))

Yep. That last couple of winters we had lucked out and had pretty mild winters. But this winter is wicked and I didn't save enough...

How big is your tank?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.