FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Must men and woman be treated identically in EVERY regard? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Must men and woman be treated identically in EVERY regard?
reader
Member # 3888

- posted      Profile for reader   Email reader         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.townhall.com/news/politics/200501/POL20050128a.shtml

I've been arguing with someone about this (I don't think that having seperate laws for what constitutes partial nudity for men vs. woman is discrimination - the one thing that is undeniably different about men and woman is their physical makeup) and I'm curious to know what some of the rest of you think. (Well, to be honest, I'm also hoping to get some more good arguments for my side of the debate. I know. Cheating. Don't tell! [Smile] ) But I really am interested in general opinions on the subject. Even just a quick stop-by to let me know whether you agree or disagree that treating topless men and women differently is discrimination woudl be great. [Smile]

Posts: 196 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to know my frank opinion I really don't think a government ought to be making laws as to nudity and what amount of it is appropriate in public places. If someone wants to go nude, thats their choices and the government has no valid stance to regulate it on. The current stance is based on christian ideas of morality, which in this case are rather silly. Personally I like wearing clothing, I don't like having bear skin on certain parts of my body touch my surrounding environment, on the other hand I don't think I should go to jail if I decide I want to go for a hike in the nude. Its our natural state, we need to get over ourselves.

But since it is regulated, its only inappropriate if you say it is. In many cultures women go topless all the time. If there are women who want to go topless, then preventing them from going topless and allowing men to do so is indeed descrimination.

[ January 31, 2005, 02:46 AM: Message edited by: Alcon ]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
OSC did an essay about equality between men and women. He made some pretty good points. Hang on, I'll find it.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

Here we go. It's not about equality between men and women, but the points still apply.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, goody. California's in the news for something that's not crazy fringe politics. [Wall Bash]

Personally, I think they're right. It is discrimination. Therefore, I support a law that re-criminalizes men going topless. [Razz]

[Grumble]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
That's fine with me. Then I might have a better chance of fooling girls into thinking I have muscles when I really don't, and they won't be able to see as much nearby to compare it to.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Men should be required to wear burkas at all times. Hatrack wenches are sooo excitable.

Come to think of it, suitable attire should be required to be worn under those burkas.

With a total ban on hand-held can openers.

[ January 31, 2005, 06:02 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, it wont matter to me [Wink] , I only go topless in my house!

Quite frankly I don't want to see other guys chests or guts overflowing. Hey maybe this is a good law. (Ok, I'm kidding about it being a good law.)

Wait, what on earth am I to do when I go swimming? Wear a shirt? [Frown] [Cry] [Frown]

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

Just wear one of those swimsuits that just cover the key areas. If you think about it, you'll actually be showing more of your body.

**wonders if it was a good idea to tell him that**

Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
The other day, I saw a slightly flabby man wearing a tight, bright blue spandex outfit in the gym. I could clearly see the outline of his penis.

I was traumatized, and it should be illegal. [Angst]

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

CAUTION: A picture of Frisco's worse half lies beyond the link!!!

Some guys don't really care what they wear.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
All laws pertaining to what can and can't be worn are completely stupid, unless you're talking about a law against lederhosen.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty sure topless sunbathing is legal in NY. Doesn't seem to have affected anything.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Women can walk around topless in NY.
I know, because I went to a march where they did just that.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I say that anybody with mammary glands must cover them up, whether they are male or female.

Is that fair enough?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
"I say that anybody with mammary glands must cover them up, whether they are male or female."

Why?

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe he's merely pointing out that 90% of equal protection discussion is based on how one formulates the policy under discussion.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
St. Yogi -- for no new reason that you aren't already aware.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

OK, if you didn't mean to point that out, it's still a good example of it. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

No, you were right, Dag. But since I do believe that modesty is a good thing, and and that some levels of immodesty in public should be prohibited, I thought I'd go ahead and answer Yogi's question anyway.

[ January 31, 2005, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
In a lot of places there's theoretically a prohibition on males being topless in many situations, its just those restrictions are often ignored. Usually when the courts are asked the question in instances I've seen the answer isn't that women can go topless, period, but that women can go topless anywhere men can go topless.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I think both sides are being silly. The side for top-down saying that women going topless will have to register as sex offenders. And the other side that asserts that crimes against women will only increase if women start sunbathing topless. C'mon. Get real.

I don't care either way, though I think anyone, male or female, going topless in inappropriate circumstances is socially inept. At the beach, it wouldn't offend me. In a restaurant or walking around the mall, it would. Shirts and shoes, puh-lease.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I don't care either way, though I think anyone, male or female, going topless in inappropriate circumstances is socially inept."

There's a distinction between being illegal and being inept.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed...which is to say that I don't care if they make it legal for women to go topless in CA as long as women do it tastefully.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
St. Yogi -- for no new reason that you aren't already aware.
Would it test your restraint?

Would it be sinful?

Would you be afraid for the children who might be exposed to the horrors of the human body before marriage?

Do you fear that men who were unsure wether they wanted to rape a women would just be pushed over the edge by seeing them topless?

There are many reasons you might not want women to go around topless. Why did you not just answer Yogi's question?

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll put it another way: I don't care if they make it legal for women to go topless even if women do it tastelessly.

The law does not have to reflect taste. If these women choose to be tasteless, that does not mean the law is inadequate; it means that the women are.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Why did you not just answer Yogi's question?
Yeah, MPH. Don't you know you have to answer every single question someone asks you!
jebus202
Member # 2524

No of course you don't.

It is however common courtesy, especially in contrast with saying "my reason is nothing new". He didn't ask expecting some revolutionary answer.

EDITED: It just didn't sound right.

[ January 31, 2005, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: jebus202 ]

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

You being the expert on common courtesy, right?
jebus202
Member # 2524

Sting.

No, I'm not, what's your point?

Dagonee
Member # 5818

No point. Just trying to make the oblique point that the expectation of posts such as yours might have been a motivating factor.

Or not.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
My personal preference would be to have many people running around nude. This would most strikingly contrast the prim purity and virtue of my own long skirts and clogs.

And headcoverings. I am working on a selection of scarfs. At some point, I shouldn't be visible at all.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It would make for an interesting bedside manner, doc.
jebus202
Member # 2524

So he didn't answer because he expected that someone would ask him why he hadn't answered?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Read the lines above that question.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Dag, would you represent me if I were just a disembodied voice? (Pending certification, of course. Yours, not mine. I don't think there is a registry for disembodied voices.)

"Your Honor, my client has no hands to raise."

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

You mean my lines where I mocked him for being afraid of answering?

So, you are saying, that he was worried that his values might be challenged?

I think that says something about someones values when they are afraid to try and defend them, don't you?

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Sure. I'd have to figure out the whole eye-contact thing. Very important to make eye-contact with the jury, you know.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
You mean my lines where I mocked him for being afraid of answering?

So, you are saying, that he was worried that his values might be challenged?

I think that says something about someones values when they are afraid to try and defend them, don't you?

No, he probably just didn't feel up to dealing with the boorish mocking he was expecting about those beliefs.

Funny you jumped right to a fear motive, though. Is that how we should interpret your motives whenever you don't respond to something?

Dagonee

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I could be like the ninja-smiley. Furtive eyes darting back and forth. I could do that.

Yeah sure, it's kinda shady-looking, but better than no eyes at all, eh?

*practices

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I could work with that. As long as the trial didn't concern a murder that involved stealth. Ninja connotations might be bad.

[ January 31, 2005, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

jebus202
Member # 2524

quote:
No, he probably just didn't feel up to dealing with the boorish mocking he was expecting about those beliefs.
Well now you're jumping to the conclusion that I would have mocked him had he explained himself. You'd be quite wrong, though I'm sure you love thinking of me as some anti-religion maniac.

quote:
Funny you jumped right to a fear motive, though. Is that how we should interpret your motives whenever you don't respond to something?
No, doctor.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Well now you're jumping to the conclusion that I would have mocked him had he explained himself.
Nope. I don't know if you would have or not. I do know that the expectation of such posts around here is not an unrealistic one to hold.

quote:
You'd be quite wrong, though I'm sure you love thinking of me as some anti-religion maniac.
Actually, I never think of you at all except when I'm responding to you, and "love" isn't a word I'd associate with it at all.

quote:
No, doctor.
Then maybe you ought not to impute motives to others with no evidence.

Dagonee

jebus202
Member # 2524

I just can't respond without saying you're bullshitting again, so I'll avoid that, Dag.

I will answer this though:

quote:
Then maybe you ought not to impute motives to others with no evidence
Then maybe you should just tell me what you think his motives are without me having to make assumptions for you to finally say it.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I just can't respond without saying you're bullshitting again, so I'll avoid that, Dag.
Man, you are a little passive-aggressive pissant, aren't you? And apparantly one with quite an ego, although it's not quite clear which part you think is bullshitting.

quote:
Then maybe you should just tell me what you think his motives are without me having to make assumptions for you to finally say it.
Because, unlike you, I don't go assigning motives to other posters. Edit: I will, however raise possible alternative motives when someone else decides to do it for them.

Dagonee

[ January 31, 2005, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

jebus202
Member # 2524

quote:

::cough::

That's not alternative, you're saying what he probably thought there.

[ January 31, 2005, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: jebus202 ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Oh well, overlapping edit/post, so I'll say it again here:

I will, however raise possible alternative motives when someone else decides to do it for them.

Note the word "probably."

As opposed to asking subsequent questions that assume a particular answer to a previous one.

Dagonee

[ January 31, 2005, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

jebus202
Member # 2524

Heh you were assinging motives more then I was.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Nope.
jebus202
Member # 2524

I asked if you were saying something, and in the case that you were I was continuing with another question.

You answer with what you believe he was most likely thinking.

And I'm the one assigning motives?

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.