FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Must men and woman be treated identically in EVERY regard? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Must men and woman be treated identically in EVERY regard?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I said "might" in that post, not "most likely."

The post with "probably" was after your little fear digs and the mocking of his beliefs.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
I made digs because he was afraid of answering. You yourself have said he was.

Wether his fear was over getting annoying taunts or his fear was of having to defend his ideals is the question. I was asking if you were saying he was afraid to defend his ideals. (Though I'm sure you wouldn't of phrased it that way had you been saying it.)

You then made the assumption.

But really, who cares?

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
After seeing the squabbling that happened without me explaining further, I'm now glad that I didn't.

One my my recent resolutions is to not participate in contentious discussions on hatrack. There are times where you can't answer all questions without it starting/continuing a fight.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
But really, who cares?
Exactly. So what was the point of the original, rude post?

And no, I didn't say he was afraid. When I don't participate in a discussion because of how I think it will go, it's because it's bothersome, not because I'm afraid of it.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kyrie
Member # 6415

- posted      Profile for kyrie   Email kyrie         Edit/Delete Post 
children, children [Roll Eyes] shesh!
Posts: 264 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

Oh yes, the little boy connotations of "afraid".

a·fraid
adj.
1. Filled with fear: afraid of ghosts; afraid to die; afraid for his life.

2. Having feelings of aversion or unwillingness in regard to something: not afraid of hard work; afraid to show emotion.

3. Filled with regret or concern. Used especially to soften an unpleasant statement: I'm afraid you're wrong.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Wll, under that definition, the answer to your original question:

quote:
I think that says something about someones values when they are afraid to try and defend them, don't you?
is a big, fat, "No."

Dagonee

jebus202
Member # 2524

Ok, this is where it's getting complicated and stupid since I used the word afraid twice in my post each with a different meaning. But it doesn't really matter.
kyrie
Member # 6415

- posted      Profile for kyrie   Email kyrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I repeat, Cildren! Children!

It is quite anoying when you divert a perfictly good thread about an intresting topic to MINDLESS BICKERING.
Try creating a thread just for your squabbling, and leave ligitamet threads alone.
You have long sence killed the original topic of debate. [No No]

Posts: 264 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

I think women should be allowed to strut around in the nude all they want.

Not men, though.

And only HAWT women.

narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this thread certainly died quickly.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Kyrie, that one was actually a productive exchange. [Razz]

[ January 31, 2005, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

reader
Member # 3888

- posted      Profile for reader   Email reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I got back from work, came to Hatrack to check out this thread, and was all excited when I saw that it had grown to two pages.

Then I opened it up.

[Smile]

But seriously, back to the debate, if you set aside the issue of making laws about nudity - in other words, if you assume that the government should be allowed to make such laws - do you think that having separate laws for men and woman are inherently unfair? If you assert that the "taboo" of nudity is nothing more than a cultural taboo, then shouldn't the fact that men walking around topless vs. women walking around topless would cause different reactions be taken into consideration? After all, according to this argument, the whole concept of nudity is defined by culture, so if the general culture considers topless woman to be partially nude, whereas it does not consider that true for men, shouldn't that affect the laws aboutnudity?

Is it legal in most states for women to walk around topless?

Posts: 196 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
if you assume that the government should be allowed to make such laws - do you think that having separate laws for men and woman are inherently unfair?
No, I don't.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea of women being allowed to legally be topless wherever men can be. I think that if we can innure men to the sight of the female breast, "de-sexualize" it so to speak, things will be easier for women all around. (But not for liquor companies, of course- how wil they make their money when women's breasts no longer sell things?)
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Women have other body parts. They'll just promote those.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
The breast isn't the only body part that sells product. As Tom pointed out, we see images of legs, backs, necks... Men are more likely to be stimulated visually and advertisers will continue to promote goods with visuals that get our attention. Inuring the public to the display of breasts won't stem the tide of sexually based advertising.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
So, in order to be treated identically I have to wear a bra?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I think all of the Hatrack ladies interested in striking a blow for equality should do their very best to innure me to the naked female breast. I'm certain that this will do something wonderful for the society we live in, or at least the society I live in, which is considerably smaller and has more imaginary bits.

G'head. Innure me.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
do you think that having separate laws for men and woman are inherently unfair? If you assert that the "taboo" of nudity is nothing more than a cultural taboo...
Along these lines, how does the goverment decide what is a cultural taboo, and thus irrelevant, and what isn't?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
I like the idea of women being allowed to legally be topless wherever men can be. I think that if we can innure men to the sight of the female breast, "de-sexualize" it so to speak, things will be easier for women all around.
I don't like that idea at all. I like them sexualized.

[ January 31, 2005, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
mph: *snort*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I heard many years ago that if a woman breast feeds, her breasts stop being erogonous zones.

I was very happy when I learned that was false. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Every day at Hatrack I learn something I didn't want to know.

>_<

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

It's usually my job to do that, rivka.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
So you decided to share the joy, mph?

Um, thanks . . .

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think all of the Hatrack ladies interested in striking a blow for equality should do their very best to innure me to the naked female breast.
Here ya go, Chris.

http://pictures.hypergeek.org/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=gojirama&id=fairebooby

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
The expression on your face is priceless. [Smile]

'Yes, I'm breastfeeding. Now, go away before I kill you.'

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm.

Lovely. And yay for mama!

But it's not working yet. Obviously this is a long term project...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
what a beautiful baby! And such a good picture of you, too. [Smile]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
dpr: Did you ever figure out what is wrong with your daughter?
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

Allegra- we are currentl awaiting feacl occult results for parasites. we have done about $2000 of testing in the past month, with no real results besides "She's really, really lactose intolerant, don't even cook something with dairy" and the ped says he doesn't know any other tests to suggest. [Dont Know]

My friend's fairy is that mortal food is hard on fey systems.

quote:
'Yes, I'm breastfeeding. Now, go away before I kill you.'
[ROFL] Well, I knew it would be a priceless shot and hubby was fooling around with different lenses- it was like, "TAKE THE PICTURE BEFORE HE'S DONE!!!".
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
$2000 worth of testing and that is all you know. That stinks. I hope you know more soon. Were they able to rule out some of the things brought up in the thread? ((((dpr&family))))

That really is an adorable picture of you and your baby.

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyways:

I support complete desegregation! Which means you girls will have to figure out urinals.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. No. You guys will have to figure out how to put the seat up--and down. THAT'S what that means.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
NEVER!
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

I know...it's oh so difficult, you poor dears [Razz]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Gravity is on your side!
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

quote:
$2000 worth of testing and that is all you know. That stinks. I hope you know more soon. Were they able to rule out some of the things brought up in the thread? ((((dpr&family))))

I know, it does suck (Thank God for insurance!!!). They ruled out Celiac's, her bllod levels of calcium are normal so I don't think we have to worry about William's Syndrome. But I wish we had a definitive answer, "This is what's wrong, and here's how we'll treat it".

(Oh, and thanks,I think Andrew is adorable in that photo too).

dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

quote:
Heh. No. You guys will have to figure out how to put the seat up--and down
And hit the bowl with 100% accuracy.
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

O_O I forgot that part... that's KEY. [Embarrassed]
mackillian
Member # 586

What really confuses me is when women miss.
punwit
Member # 6388

The Mrs. always confuses me.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I think urine the same boat I am on that one, punwit.
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
man some of the statements in this article make my brain hurt.

There are good reasons for modesty laws, Thomasson said -- "to protect the innocence of women and girls and to promote a decent society supportive of children and families."

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

Yeah, Dag, Ur ethra person with good sanitary habits or ur a slob. It's funny how there seems to pee no middle ground.

[ February 04, 2005, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Oh, how you do bladder on!
punwit
Member # 6388

True, I guess I should a void posting any more frivolous nonsense. It's such a waste of energy.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It does give new meaning to a stream of consciousness.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.