FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » what does it mean to be a "sales" person?

Author Topic: what does it mean to be a "sales" person?
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm considering a job offer at an attorney recruitment firm. The pay is ok and people are nice. My basic duty would be to contact attorneys and asking them if they would like to move to a different firm with better hours/pay/benefits.

The firm's partners told me no cold calling is required and we do get a nice base salary of 80-100k. But they were somewhat (if not deliberately) vague on exactly what type of contact we need to initiate.

I've never done any sales before but I do consider myself a people person. I'm a patient and understanding listener. But I am not pushy nor do I enjoy imposing on people's time.

I know there are a couple of sales gurus here (Dan is one if I remembered correctly, and at least one other person here was a telemarketer). How do I know if I have what it takes for a sales position?

[ January 31, 2005, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: vwiggin ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"The firm's partners told me no cold calling is required and we do get a nice base salary of 80-100k."

Good lord.
This is a nice base salary? For calling random people and asking them to jump ship?

I had no idea that headhunters got paid this well; I always figured that they did it for the love of the temptation.

The whole time they're calling me saying "and the base salary is a very respectable $65K a year," they're secretly laughing up their sleeves at me, thinking, "Gee, sucks to be him."

Look at it this way: even if the job blows, you can make as much working there for two weeks and then never mentioning it again, even on your resume, as many people make in half a year.

[ January 31, 2005, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

That is a good point Tom. [Smile]

But the pay worries me a bit. WHY would they pay me (or anyone) so much to be a head hunter? Like you, I also never imagined that head hunters make so much money. There seems to be a catch....

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Your prospective boss doesn't look anything like Al Pacino, does he? [Evil]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
That'd be my guess, too. Look for extended "training periods" and/or quotas that must be met before you qualify for their "base salary."

But: "the pay is okay?"
The pay is okay?

Where do you live, Manhattan? [Smile]

[ January 31, 2005, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
You lose your immortal soul, is my guess.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
If you made that much in my town, you'd be a member of the wealthy elite. [Smile]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Where do you live, Manhattan? [Smile]

Los Angeles actually. Where the people are friendly and the rent is slightly cheaper. [Smile]

Your prospective boss doesn't look anything like Al Pacino, does he?

You lose your immortal soul, is my guess.

I worked for a law firm before. I'm sure my soul belongs to them. [Smile]

If you made that much in my town, you'd be a member of the wealthy elite.

When I pay off my six digit student loan twenty years from now I look forward to joining the club. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. We would kill for a base salary of $35,000. I can't believe that.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I have sales experience, AND am willing to move... [Evil]

Sales in general is OK, as long as there is no cold calling. Also, with that type of job I bet there is an expense accpunt as well, which is always a nice bonus.

On the down side, I would enquire about the amount of time most of their employees have worked there....a high turnover ratio is a sign that their quotas for this type of position are unreasonable.

alos, as mentioned before, ask how long ybefore you qualify for the "base salary", and how long the lerning curve for this job typicaly is, as well as how long the offical trining period is.

I know jobs pay better ion LA, but when adjusted for COL, I bet it is a good salary...but probably close to what they were offering TomD.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you aren't being asked to do anything fishy, I imagine the job would also be full of nice lunches and comfy travel, plus a nice opportunity to build a pretty solid network. If it does feel unethical, none of that might be worth it.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Thanks for brining up questions about the "qualifying period" for the base salary. I just assumed one automatically qualifies for the base salary, but after read Tom and Kwea's comments I am beginnig to have some doubts.

I don't think there is anything unethical about this job, unless you consider pestering attorneys unethical. [Smile]

LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Headhunters get anywhere from 20-30% or more of the placement's annual salary paid to them by the hiring firm.

You could easily pay for yourself by getting 3 to 4 placements a year.

It's a little nasty in that you do have to be a bit clandestine in your methods of contacting the prospective placement, but the majority of the job consists of being able to do a great job at networking.

The headhunter we use is a joy to work with both as a hiring firm and as a prospective employee. She is sort of a matchmaker and she knows she's good at her job. The only way to make sure she won't cherry-pick your firm is to hire her yourself.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
C'mon, that's pretty good money even here, Beren!

Especially to start . . . I know headhunters making that much after a few years, but starting out? Wow.

With that kind of money, you could almost afford to buy a house. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Headhunters get anywhere from 20-30% or more of the placement's annual salary paid to them by the hiring firm.

[Eek!] Wow is that how that works? I always thought it was somewhere around 10%. Now the salary makes sense.

rivka, I never pictured myself as a home owner. I guess I have to accept the fact that I'm not a college student anymore. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.