FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Native American Radio, and more...

Author Topic: Native American Radio, and more...
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
The conversation Liz & I were having in the recipe thread got me looking for a good internet radio station for Native music. I work in a Native American art gallery and wanted something good to play in my office (there's not a music system in the gallery space, but the acoustics work just fine coming from my office) during workdays.

I found Native Radio.com, and I use stream 4 - mixed format NAMA 2003 - during work hours, because it's mellow enough to be appropriate without disturbing the accountant in the office next door. (I had a Pow Wow stream playing for about 30 seconds and she shot me a look) I'm really liking it so far.

There are other great streams on this site, including Hip Hop & Rap, and other contemporary native styles. I'd recommend it for anyone who wants to broaden their eclectic borders.

Anyway, I thought it would be cool to make this recommendation but also open up a thread to discuss Native culture in general. I work with Native artists on a daily basis and am very interested in political and social issues. I'm of indian heritage myself, but unenrolled (my grandmother was adopted and lacked the proper sort of paperwork to enroll in her tribe) and very uninformed on my own heritage.

Some cool artists to look up if you're interested in contemporary indian art are Jaune Quick-to-See Smith and Jay Laber

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Neat-o, Annie.

One of my favorite books is a book of NA myths called, "The Last of the Ancient Earth Keepers."

Did you see/hear any Keith Secola? The song "Frybread" is a sort of allegory for the war on native culture in the '60's.(I think) when children were punished for speaking in their native tongue and following native ways.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I haven't found any Keith Secola yet - couldn't find anything on iTunes, but I'll keep looking.

That book sounds interesting too - I looked up the blurb on Amazon.

And of course I have to plug Sherman Alexie - have you read Sherman Alexie?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't 1/8th the cutoff for being considered Native American? Of course, I always thought that if you don't look like a minority, it is kind of cheesy to cash in on any benefits. But then, one can inherit the psychological liabilities of a minority even if you don't look it.
Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

1/16th.

And most people who enroll in their tribes are not doing to to "cash in," I promise.

skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know much about enrolling in tribes, just about scholarship programs and the like. I suppose I should have known better than to reply.
Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

quote:
I suppose I should have known better than to reply.
I wasn't trying to be mean. I was venting a bit at an all-too-common stereotype.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
When we were on our honeymoon, we got lost somewhere in the Navajo reservation in northern Arizona. We stopped for gas and because I had to pee really, really badly. The bathrooms-- both of them-- were out of service. It was 10:30 pm. A very nice Navajo man offered to show us a place where I could use the restroom (I was about to explode and probably showed it; I was also on my period and very grumpy). We followed him, rather nervously because the whole road was completely dark, even though we weren't getting any bad vibes from him. Just as we were wondering where we were going, we wound up at a building with a sign on the side that said it was some kind of "Indian Cultural and Social Club Hall" or something. (I know Native American is pc, but it said Indian.) We stepped inside, where a woman was sitting at a table taking covers for the concert that was apparently going on inside. The nice man chatted with her in Navajo for a minute, then she pointed me to what was one of the cleanest, most pleasant public restrooms I've ever seen (including those at ritzy restaurants). The coolest thing about this was the music we heard while we were there-- it was very well played country, with a bass, two guitars, and a fiddle, and lead and harmony vocals in Navajo. It was totally awesome, and made up for getting lost. (The young man also asked if there was anything else he could do to help us and pointed us back to the right road.) It's one of the things I'll always remember about our honeymoon!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

That's awesome, KQ. [Smile] And "Indian" as a descriptor is very well accepted by Indians themselves. I use "Native American" in most conversation to be clear and not confusing things with the subcontinent.
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Smoke Signals . . .

remember the live radio announcer on the res? For K-Res radio station . . .

cloud shapes, who's on the road . . . who's not . . .

the reminder to kids to get to school 'cause the bell rang 20 minutes ago . . . [Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

quote:
remember the live radio announcer on the res?
Lester Falls Apart?
"It's a good day to be indigenous" [Smile]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Keith Secola songs(I think two) are in Smoke Signals. Not that I am plugging Keith Secola or anything, but...
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian_Berlin
Member # 6900

- posted      Profile for Brian_Berlin   Email Brian_Berlin         Edit/Delete Post 
<<<--- digs NDN music

thanks for the link!

Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I need to watch Smoke Signals again.

I think someone should do a professional recorded version of "John Wayne's Teeth." [Big Grin]

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Are they steel . . .
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.