FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Grammar/ Spelling on Hatrack. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Grammar/ Spelling on Hatrack.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I missed my cue upthread, so I'll just recommend ieSpell now.

I confess to being too dependent on spell-check. But it's just so much easier to use one than check each word I am unsure of in a dictionary. And I catch a good percentage of my typos that way too.

ieSpell -- the second thing I download on a new computer. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It baffles me, Porter, that you'd use a double negative and yet manage to nail the subjunctive tense. [Smile]
It's the subjunctive mood, Tom. [Wink]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a post title on another board "Anyone else dealing with a mimmick?(is that spelt right?)". I didn't even open it. I knew I would make a snarky reply.

Edit-punctuation

[ February 01, 2005, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: dread pirate romany ]

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a double negative along the lines you already posted, MPH: "I cannot disprove that." This is correct, and contains a very distinct idea from "I can prove this."

On a similar note, "It is likely that I did it" does not mean precisely "It is not likely that I didn't do it."

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
The Party has taken careful note of who supports the true agenda of the proletariat; bourgeois lapdogs beware! We know who you are.

On the subject of spellcheckers, the true revolutionary does not need such crutches; correct doctrine flows from his keyboard as water from a spring. When the Revolution comes, all such programs will be consigned to the ash-heap of history along with the rest of Micro$oft's evil. The will of the people shall prevail!

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
That's nice, we've gone and sparked a revolution.
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
You misspelled Microsoft.

[ February 01, 2005, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catseye1979
Member # 5560

- posted      Profile for Catseye1979   Email Catseye1979         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sweetheart, I suspect you were being teased because straight is misspelled.
Darn those words that sound the same and are spelled diffrent. I was well into Middle school before I got There, Their, and they're right. [Wall Bash]

Anyway I can change my Native language to Spanish? [Evil]

Posts: 147 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Si, senor.

I'm still trying to refine irony, cynicism and sarcasm. If I identify a difference between two of them, that makes one of them synonymous with the third.

Damn!

JH

[ February 02, 2005, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm still trying to refine irony, cynicism and sarcasm."

They're actually very different. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the clarification Tom. [Razz]

[ February 02, 2005, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: scottneb ]

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome. [Razz]
Now all we need is an example of irony....Oh, wait. *grin*

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
On the calculator issue:

Our branch of National Honor Society is starting a tutoring program with one of the elementary schools in town, and yesterday was the first day. I had to check the multiplication and division homework of a couple of fifth graders, and I was taken by surprise when I had to do one of the problems out simply to double check that I was doing everything in the right order. That said, I was certainly capable of doing the multiplication and division problems without the help of a calculator, it's just been a very long time since I've had to.

I don't think we should get too dependant on calculators, but I'm certainly not going into my Calc class without a TI-89. As for spell check, I don't think we have to start really worrying until the spellcheck starts changing ur to your and idunno to I don't know. Once that becomes possible, there's no chance of anyone learning spelling or grammar.

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*decides to try it out*

[Big Grin] "Your" isn't even on the list of suggestions from ieSpell to replace "ur."

So I guess we're safe, for now . . .

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
One day, Microsoft will appeal even more to your 12 y.o. AOL user with it's new splchkr...

but dudes teires a long time before that and der splchkr will be kewl

[ February 02, 2005, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judas
Member # 7355

- posted      Profile for Judas   Email Judas         Edit/Delete Post 
I never use spell check or anything- except my brain of course, and maybe Dictionary.com if i'm unsure of a word's spelling or meaning. - But I will tell ya, my hand writing sure has gone down the moon shute ever since I got onto computers. I think it's our site owning author, Mr. Card, that really has the writing problems though- seriously, you seen his autograph? - Circleshwoop-scribble-Circleshwish-scribble-Circleshwoop ..

It's actually quite impressive..

Judas

Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
shute
Forgive me if this word is existent, and if my vocabulary lacks its presence - but I believe you were referring to "shoot"? It does kind of step on your point...

No hard feelings, mate!

JH

MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
JH- who are you talking to? I don't see the word shute in the three or so posts above yours and I'm too lazy to check the whole thread for one word to see your reference.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I can appreciate irony. Sarcasm is childish and cynicism sophmoric. Does that help?
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judas
Member # 7355

- posted      Profile for Judas   Email Judas         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm.. I've been spelling that one wrong for a long time.. i always thought a 'shute' was a shaft of sorts..

thanks JH

Judas

Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Chute? Now nothing looks right. Don't you hate that?
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Naading lukes wrightte?

Towoo Baadde, laiff iz taff.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.