FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mrs Card is cool! Re: forum name (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Mrs Card is cool! Re: forum name
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Who else is in favour of removing "American" from "Books, Films, Food and American Culture"?

*raises hand*

[ February 01, 2005, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
*slaps Kama's hand down*

hehehee...
[Razz]
[Kiss]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

You brute!!!

[Cry]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't it be easier if one of us marries Kama and make her an American citizen?

OK, maybe this plan isn't easier, but it is certainly a lot more fun. [Wink]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I've already tried. She'll only do it if I buy her a big diamond engagement ring. [Roll Eyes] [Wink]
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
*raises hand*
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in, Kama.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
BOOOO!!!
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Due to the rather large distance and expensive airfare, I will accept marriage proposals sent by letter, handwritten, on scented paper. Please enclose the printout of your bank account, photo, and a cover letter explaining why you would make the best candidate. Thank you.

[ February 01, 2005, 07:10 AM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Kama, are you giving in?

Shame on you... You won't even keep your own identity, why instantly become a Yank? That statistically reduces your status!

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Jon, you may not know this yet, but I have been on a quest for American babies for quite some time now.

[ February 01, 2005, 07:22 AM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Then take that statement as criticism, and add an apology to it. I forgot to write "j/k".

Can't offer you much, I know very few American Americans.

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
*raises hand*

I think we're way past being "American only" here...

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Corwin
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
I would support the change you suggest.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I have been on a quest for American babies for quite some time now."

It's true. She has. We were quite worried for Sophie's safety.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

[No No] Tom. American babies with my genes in them.
Kama
Member # 3022

So, is everyone okay with it? Can I change the title to notify the Mrs.?
Corwin
Member # 5705

Yes, I think you can. Oh, wait, you did it already! [Smile]

Actually you'll probably get more answers later today, since the poor Americans just woke up! [Wink]

And I thought you linked to something else... [Frown] [Wink]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Kama, while you ARE skinny, I don't think Sophie e would fit in your jeans....

Nice try, baby snatcher!

[Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
[No No] Kama, you shouldn't steal other people's children. That is such a naughty thing to do. Oh and on topic....removing American from this side of the forum's name is a good idea. I support it.....so

[ February 01, 2005, 08:41 AM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

quote:
Actually you'll probably get more answers later today, since the poor Americans just woke up! [Wink]
Oh dear! I fear that my sleep schedule is really out of whack now. I need to go to bed for a while.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Why? What is the point of this movement? In this day of so much anti-Americanism why should we participate? Sure we have some international posters but that doesn’t mean anything. American culture is supposed to be multi cultural. If we were talking about setting up a new board and what to name it I might be able to see the point. But on an already established board with the name American in the title I think it would be a slap to do. Especially to our troops, who I imagine a hatracker or two, are in Iraq.
Let America stand!

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Kama: Until you are successful in your quest here, it's spelled "favor", dagnabbit.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming Kristine reads this I think this would be an appropriate time to say that she's super-duper great. [Big Grin]

Great I tell ya!

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't "American Culture" a bit oxymoronic already?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
No.

[Razz]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

No, Annie. I don't think it is. (What about Microsoft Works?)

I think American does have its own culture, and much of it is worthy of being called cultured.

Jay, I don't think this proposal has anything to do with anti-Americanism at all. It has nothing to do with the troops in Iraq.

When this board was created, it was probably assumed that nearly all of the posters would be American. As the board has developed, it has internationalized greatly. Wouldn't it be fitting to change the title to reflect that?

Corwin
Member # 5705

Jay:

quote:
Sure we have some international posters but that doesn’t mean anything.
Thanks... [Roll Eyes]

Actually it does mean something, at least in my opinion. We talk about more than just American culture here. The point is: Kama's request isn't "anty-American", it's just a way to get the title back on par with what we're actually discussing in this forum.

quote:
But on an already established board with the name American in the title I think it would be a slap to do.
Why? 'Cause it is named "American" it cannot change?! Look, probably Mr. Card didn't think this forum would get so popular and so international at first, hence its current name. But I'm sure that he's more than happy to have people from around the world come and post here.

quote:
Especially to our troops, who I imagine a hatracker or two, are in Iraq.
This is NOT a forum solely about supporting American troops. Hmm... I'm really trying to see what you wanted to say with this, but I honestly can't. I've said it before, I'm a supporter of the Irak war and American troops and I wanted Bush to win. But this name change has nothing to do with any political sentiments whatsoever.

If I wanted to give a sensible argument against this name change I'd have worded it like this:

"While this forum has become more and more international in the last few years, the majority of its contents still relate to the American society/culture and therefore I suggest keeping the word "American" in the title."

There you go...

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is a great idea, Kama!

I mean -- I see your point -- posters on here, even long-timers, are from all over the world -- Poland, France, Israel, Sri Lanka, Australia. We talk about the culture of all the countries in our threads. Why have limits?

I vote with Kama - let's remove the word "American" just because this forum really does represent so much more than that. I think it has grown beyond what the Card's originally even imagined....

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just here to be a brat.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

Exactly, Corwin and Farmgirl. I think the Cards are pleased that the forum is doing so well. If I were them, I'd be glad to make the little gesture requred to recognize the more internationalized character of the board.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what the Cards really think about this place. This seems to be a really great place to come to if you want to hear somebody being really nasty towards OSC.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I'm all for the removal of "American," too. It's unnecessarily limiting.

Of course, you can make the argument that a title like "Books, Films, and Culture" isn't necessarily any more accurate. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"This seems to be a really great place to come to if you want to hear somebody being really nasty towards OSC."

Not really. That would be Slashdot.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, really.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian_Berlin
Member # 6900

- posted      Profile for Brian_Berlin   Email Brian_Berlin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also in favor of the removoval of "American"
Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I also approve of the removal of the word "American" to help the title of this forum more accurately reflect the members and topics herein. [Smile]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

There are a lot of places on the web where people are quite nasty toward OSC, or many other authors and public figures. Slashdot isn't much worse than the others, and on the whole, I think Hatrack is pretty civil (most of the time).

I guess come to think of it, "Books, Films, Food and Culture" isn't really all that much more accurate... But I don't know if adding "Politics" in there would help any more. We all know that's what comes up every other thread, but we don't identify ourselves as one of those forums. [Wink]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

I suppose the odds of more OSC-related conversation are considerably higher here. But in general, I think that conversation is far more likely to be positive here than on most other sites on the Internet. [Smile] The exception may be P-Web, since it's a big fan site that you kind of have to work to find, and thus doesn't attract the random crazies.

[ February 01, 2005, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
People have only been 'nasty' to OSC when he is to some other groups. Basically, the only time people are mean to poor, ol' OSC is when he deserves it, as far as I'm concerned.

And no one, that I know of, has been 'nasty' towards him in a while.

And he gets praise on the forum, too.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Lookit lookit! *points up*
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
What are we looking at?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
The name has changed.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Edit: Thought better of it.

[ February 01, 2005, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: Zeugma ]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Yay, Kama!
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

YAY!!! She did it! She took American off!

[The Wave]

Now we are GLOBAL!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

[Grumble] Booooo [Wall Bash]

Should rename the board to “Liberal Mecca of OSC readers”

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
I guess come to think of it, "Books, Films, Food and Culture" isn't really all that much more accurate... But I don't know if adding "Politics" in there would help any more
Are politics not part of our culture, Nato?

Farmgirl

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Jay -- don't you see? This (name change) has nothing to do with Liberal/Conservative at all.

It has to do with how far-reaching OSC's works have become..... And how many people globally this site touches.

Farmgirl

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.