FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I have no idea why I think this is so funny (Romanian dance song and video) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: I have no idea why I think this is so funny (Romanian dance song and video)
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno. Did anyone (read: my mom >_<) call me when you were around?
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Um . . . not sure . . . maybe?

Of course, the song could just sound familiar because I've been playing it all evening. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Um. Wow.

The original (Didn't watch the whole thing. Too painful)
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/starwarskid.wmv

The really cool one
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/starwarskidedit.wmv

The "dear Lord these people have way too much time on their hands" one
*Warning* One title has a word some might find extremely offensive (though it is not profane or obscene)
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/starwarskidclones.wmv

The unhappy ending
http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,59757,00.html

Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Some sites were discussing this 2 weeks ago; some 7 weeks ago!

Behind on the latest fads??? NO!

[Wink]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooo.. thanks rivka for the extra links!
Damn! Too cool. And they are hot too!
*drool* [Wink]

Yes... this has gone beyond funny to freaking awesome. I too cannot stop playing the song over and over... [Angst]
[Party]

I think I need to go to a gay club...they'll definatly be playing this! [Smile]

Oh...and here is a link so you can get a really nice clean copy of the song. [Big Grin]

http://www.cygnoir.net/quill/2004/12/23/numa_numa.php

[ February 02, 2005, 04:11 AM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

- posted      Profile for Lisha-princess   Email Lisha-princess         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe I'm sitting here watching these. I'm supposed to be getting ready for school, but this is so much more worth my time! [ROFL]
Posts: 119 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto.

I've officially been mesmerized.

Thanks!

Eve

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My understanding is that Romanian is the language closest to Latin.
Actually, I've heard that the languages closest to the original spoken Latin are Gallician and Rhaeto-Romanche.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Oh, man! While we were on the subject of wacky European techno, I was going to link you to the amazing Gunther, but it looks like his page "är tillsvidare avstängd." Rats.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Actually, I've heard that the languages closest to the original spoken Latin are Gallician and Rhaeto-Romanche.
I think you just made those up on the spot. [Razz]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Can anybody tell me what language the dancing kitten subtitles are in?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to see if I can move my hips like the anime dancing girl.

Too bad I'm at work. Maybe later. [Smile]

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
kat, I think now would be the perfect time to try it.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

*sneaks a look around the office* No one here but the Italian co-worker I just bribed with cookies...

Oh no, I couldn't. Maybe I can sneak into the empty conference room later.

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, about the languages thing:

Romanian is a Centum language.

Lithuanian is a Satem language.

They evolved very differently from Proto-Indo-European.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to check to make sure there are no cameras in the conference room. You don't want it showing up on the internet or anything.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If you do it in the conference room, you could dance on the table...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Re: cameras. Good point.

The table's too obvious. Crowds have to work to get near me. [Razz]

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Kat, I say, take a bathroom break and do it in the bathroom! That way, you can see how you do in the mirror. [Smile]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

I just e-mailed this to my co-worker. I'll bet I can talk her into dancing during lunch.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You know, kat, bellydancing class is where you really learn that kind of hip-isolation. Did you ever take bellydancing?

(I did. It was awesome. [Big Grin] )

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Sadly, I learned it in my pink bedroom with the wall of mirrors.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You had a pink bedroom? *winces* With a wall of mirrors? *is jealous, even though there were times in her life when she completely avoided mirrors*
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Soft pink, with stenciled hearts around the ceiling. I was the only girl. I got so overloaded that when I was finally able to decorate it for myself, everything was dark green and gray.

Between you and Annie, I'm almost persuaded to try belly-dancing. [Smile] If I do, I'm taking this song.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

The class I took was at a park, and it was really cool; it was for women only, and no men were even allowed to watch. It was held indoors, and a perimeter was strictly enforced, so we could all feel comfy in our leotards or crop-tops and swishy skirts with jingly things. There was a public performance at the end, but you didn't have to participate, and the cost was only $65. It was the best class ever.
Megan
Member # 5290

You know, I've never heard of anyone who took a belly-dancing class and didn't absolutely rave about it. Maybe, when I lose enough weight, I'll try it. [Smile]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
That eyebrow dance has to be one of the coolest things ever.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Megan, a lot of the women in my class were doing it to lose weight. It's a real workout, but not too much. And it worked, too; a lot of the women in it were in TOPS, and said that they went down fairly dramatically during that time.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
The Romanian text for the song is only marginally Latinesque. Both French and Spanish (and what I've seen of Portugese) are closer in content words. I don't know anything about Romanian grammar and syntax, so maybe there's soem similarities to Latin there, but on the surface it would definitely not be my first choice as "language closest to Latin roots."
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Considering that half the song is nonsense "words," I find the linguistic dissection terribly amusing. [Big Grin]

Oh, and Telp, thanks for the link to the mp3! [Smile]

[ February 02, 2005, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Romanian has been influenced by the slavic languages, and, in this case, by English ("Allo" is "hello" on a cellphone, for instance). However, it is cited often as one of the "purer" Latin languages by the people I know who talk languages. I don't know why.

Having had experience with both Lithuanian and Romanian, personally, I hear a lot of similarities between Latin and Romanian, very few between Lithuanian and Romanian. But that's just me. [Smile]

We have the coolest digressions on Hatrack. [Big Grin]

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I just almost choked to death on a pretzel. I think that might be the greatest thing I have ever seen in my life. If I wasn't a married woman...
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Did you see the original video, Mrs. M? One of the singers is really hawt...
Annie
Member # 295

quote:
I think you just made those up on the spot
I'm so offended. I'll have you know that Gallician is spoken in a god-forsaken corner of Portugal/Spain that has dreams of being independent and that Rhaeto-Romanche is one of the four official languages of Switzerland, thank-you-very-much. [Razz]
Annie
Member # 295

On the subject of obscure languages (like how I segue into my own tangents?) I met a woman yesterday who is one of 12 living native speakers of her mother tongue. It was cool.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That is neat! What language?
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, kq, I love me some goofy dorks, even more than I love man eye candy.

Oh, and I once knew a woman who speaks Ladino (a mixture of Castilian and Hebrew). It was super cool.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Hanmolshalchamqan (I had to look that up). It's a variant of Cœur D'Alene Salish.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That's neat.

I knew a guy who speaks Ladino. He was the Rabbi at the school where I spent 12th grade.

Annie
Member # 295

The coolest language I ever heard spoken was Zapotec. It's really clicky.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
Can anybody tell me what language the dancing kitten subtitles are in?
Well... it's either Japanese or Chinese. Probably Japanese because of the anime characters. [Smile]
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Granted, Lithuanian is closer to Latin from what I am told.
It's often considered the closest living language to Proto-Indo-European. Maybe that's what your friend meant, and was having a brain freeze. [Smile]

Wikipedia link.

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Lithuanian everything is pretty awesome. (Except history. Ouch.) But their language, dances, costumes, and food are all totally great. I used to go to the Lithuanian Fair at St. Kasimir's in Silverlake every year. I got into it because I had a friend in 3rd grade who danced in a group at it and went to Lithuanian school there every Saturday.
Megan
Member # 5290

quote:
Megan, a lot of the women in my class were doing it to lose weight. It's a real workout, but not too much. And it worked, too; a lot of the women in it were in TOPS, and said that they went down fairly dramatically during that time.
What is TOPS? And yeah, I hear it's a good workout, too, but I'm enough overweight that I feel like I need to hold off until I get down to a more reasonable weight before I start doing anything that involves a group. Then, we'll see. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Take Off Pounds Sensibly. And a lot of them were not too pretty to look at. But we all had fun and didn't care how we looked.

[ February 02, 2005, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Megan
Member # 5290

Heh. Yeah, I'd be too self-conscious to do that.
rivka
Member # 4859

I have the mp3 on endless loop . . . good thing my kids think the song is cool too. [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Emma and I were dancing to it all day. [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

I turned it off . . . it sounds oddly quiet.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

An Office Olympics event set to Dragostea Din Tei. (Watch till the end, it's hilarious.)

Wikipedia's article on Dragostea Din Tei. Because you can't have too much Dragostea Din Tei!

*now sings along with the lyrics-- yes, in Romanian-- each time she listens*

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.