FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Headphones/ Graduation gifts

Author Topic: Headphones/ Graduation gifts
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
Two things:
1. I really want some incredible headphones for college. Money is no object. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for some great headphones for classical music. I have decided to invest money in headphones instead of speakers. I will not have a permanent home until after college and in the process of moving everything a billion times I could break speakers.

2. I also was wondering what are good graduation gifts to ask for. My grandma has already asked me what I want. There is an amazing metronome that I would like, but it is around $150. My grandma wants to spend that kind of money on me, but I would feel weird asking for something like that from a family friend or something. I am looking for things that I will need that are under say $30. Any suggestions?

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Just tell them to give you the money, and then use it to buy books and whatnot.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Key question: what are you going to be hooking the headphones up to?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

That will of course be the first suggestion, but somepeople like to give something besides money.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

laptop, cd player, ipod
fugu13
Member # 2859

Okay, there's little point to you getting incredibly good headphones, there are simply practical limits to the sound quality of those output devices that will be reached far before incredibly good would come into play.

Had you, say, a computer with optical out (or any of the other really high quality audio connection standards), then incredibly good headphones might start to come into play. Until you're in such a situation, I'd advise sticking with "really good but practical" headphones.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

quote:
Had you, say, a computer with optical out (or any of the other really high quality audio connection standards), then incredibly good headphones might start to come into play. Until you're in such a situation, I'd advise sticking with "really good but practical" headphones.
Is it hard to get a computer with really high quality audio connection standards?
fugu13
Member # 2859

Not terribly, just have a pretty normal computer and get the latest audigy installed in it, or get a G5. Those are the two easy ways.
Allegra
Member # 6773

How much would it cost to get it installed on an ibook?
fugu13
Member # 2859

Sorry, its not possible.
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister has headphones I really like - Sennheiser HD497s. She found them for just over $40.

Gift cards are great graduation gifts for the people who don't like to give money, particularly if you're going away to school. I got a number of cards for grocery stores, walmart, blockbuster, and other places that really came in handy.

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
ask for a chair to sit in, a blanket to keep you warm and some febreeze in case your roommate smells bad [Smile]
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ask for gift certificates to a grocery store near where you will be living while you're at college. Trust me, you'll use them, and people will feel better than giving you money.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Told it before, will tell it again:

For my high school graduation, I got one present. A fountain pen from my parents. With no ink. I still haven't used the blasted thing.

Other people made a huge deal out of graduating high school. My family... not so much. We were definitely in the minority, though. I guess I can't really help you out on the asking for graduation gift thing.

Though for my upcoming college graduation, I've been told I'm getting a lifetime membership to both the Alumni Association and the Unions. Maybe I should ask for a bottle of ink.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

I have looked into Sennheisers. They look really good, but I think I am going with Grado. More expensive, but they will be amazing.

Gift cards are a good idea. I will have to figure out the nearest grocery store and bookstore. [Big Grin]

Febreeze might also be a good investment. I hope my roomate doesn't smell. [Frown]

Allegra
Member # 6773

Aw...If you don't get a bottle of ink I will buy one as a Grad present.
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
As fugu said, there's little point in you buying a really great pair of headphones, because the only detectable differences between those and a midrange pair will be the price and how cool you look with them on.

I've got a pair of Sennheisers I got for $35 on Amazon (HD212Pro), and they're as good as any pair of headphones usable with computer/cd player/ipod that I've ever listened to.

But if you want a really nice pair, there's nothing stopping you except your pocketbook.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadowfax04
Member # 7173

- posted      Profile for Shadowfax04           Edit/Delete Post 
If money is no object, then accept none lower than the Sennheiser HD650s. Best headphones in the world, period. I've sworn by Sennheiser headphones for 10 years now ever since I got a pair of hd414s. I currently own a pair of HD600s (Which was the best model they made until the 650s came out last year). Either of these would be perfect for you, but at a fairly high price tag.

I'd also recommend, if you've got just tons of cash to blow, getting a nice headphone amplifier. Really good headphones take a lot of power, and you'll really notice the difference in sound quality. I suggest checking out www.headphone.com and looking at their line. I've got myself a Little More Power and it sounds fantastic.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
No one got me a graduation present [Frown]
I'd ask for-
Opera CDs like Dmitri Hvorostovsky's Eugene Onegin
Crime and Punishment by Doestesky
Dir en grey CDs, Vulgar and the new one that's coming out, Japanese versions
A trip to Japan
Opera tickets
a car
a new stereo that plays mp3s...
Various video games
Various hardcovered books

But, that is me.
I'd also ask for lots and lots of chocolate mousse pocky and reverse. and blank cds

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I got money and a quilt (from my great aunt), also three gift cards to useful places.

No one other than my grandma asked what to give, and she was incredibly happy giving a check (thus not having to drive all over town).

To friends I gave cute little bags with a pen, a book for writing down what they'd read, bookmarks, and candy. I think i burnt a few people the mixed cd that was supposed to be playing at my party (with lots of graduation and growing up songs)

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.