FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What Cell Phone provider should I use?

Author Topic: What Cell Phone provider should I use?
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking to get a cell phone however I'm not quite sure which cell phone company to get. I was leaning toward Cingular but changed my mind when I found out my aunt hated the service so much she's going to get out of the contract. Some background info, I live in Philadelphia so coverage is not an issue. Thank you for any help in this matter.
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally like cingular. [Dont Know]
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Verizon because a lot of my friends have it and it's free to call them.
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judas
Member # 7355

- posted      Profile for Judas   Email Judas         Edit/Delete Post 
I got this cool cell phone that is actually a calculator- and when you press the big obvious button a sucker pops up from behind it!

Cool, neh?

Judas [Big Grin]

Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sprint.

I'm a very happy verizon wireless customer though.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Should look to see who has the most coverage in the areas you are in the most.

Then again I guess this isn’t a problem for big city people. Just us Yahoos in little places like WV

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Since you live in an urban area where coverage may not (shouldn't be) be an issue, I'd suggest going with the company who has a plan that best meets your realistic usage of the phone (and budget).
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Cingular treats me pretty well.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
I have yet to see a "no signal" symbol on my verizon phone. and I tend to travel around a lot.
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very happy with Verizon.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
We've been thrilled with T-mobile's family plan, especially since my whole family uses T-mobile and we all get free minutes to each other.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

maybe I should modify the question. Is anyone unhappy with their cell phone service?
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
When we investigated cell phones recently, T-Mobile and Verizon had the best rates, but Verizon had better coverage for us. We like the free calling between other Verizon users, too - almost everyone in the family has Verizon now, so we can call each other anytime for free.

I suggest you shop around for features, price, and coverage, what kind of phone you want and can get for a reasonable price, and then decide.

Oh, another thing we did was take advantage of free trial periods on our top two choices - we signed up for two phone services, and tried them out in the locations we would be making and receiving calls. Then we cancelled the service we decided not to take before the trial period ran out.

[ February 03, 2005, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Ela ]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Verizon doesn't use GSM. They use a network that will eventually be obsolete, and you can't just go off and roam in Europe with it. (That probably won't affect you much.)

That said, Verizon does tend to have good coverage. It's better than the competitors where I live for coverage at least.

I did just have a conflict with their billing yesterday that took a couple hours to get sorted out, but generally if you ask a LOT of questions and get EVERYTHING straight about what phone calls you will be billed for when you sign up, you're okay.

(And the cool part about having a conflict with them yesterday meant that I got switched to a plan that will have 100 more minutes per month, add mobile-to-mobile free calling to the secondary lines, AND will cost $10 less overall per month.)

When you are deciding, the most important thing to do is think about who you would call the most. Are you going to be making most of your calls to local area numbers? Other mobiles? I got Verizon primarily because most of the people I would call have Verizon cell phones. Other than that, it's just people in my coverage area.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Verizon doesn't use GSM. They use a network that will eventually be obsolete, and you can't just go off and roam in Europe with it. (That probably won't affect you much.)
I use Verizon, and this is the only thing I've seen that's bad about it. Otherwise, it's great, and I haven't had any problems.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
We actually preferred T-Mobile in terms of price and service, but they didn't have good reception in the locations we would be using the phone - they don't have as many towers as Verizon, though they say they are working on it.

And, yeah, we thought about GSM, but it wasn't really a consideration for use within the US.

When we did go overseas, we actually rented a cellphone at a very reasonable rate, and used it only for our trip. It also had the advantage of giving us local phone rates in the country we were visiting.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Sprint is the devil. I get cut off all the time and, never get a signal in my house, and it refuses to ring half the time when people call.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Amen to Verizon!!!

BTW, I work for a company that sells Cingular, Nextel, and US Cellular.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

I haven't heard good things about Nextel service. And this was coming from a good rying to sell me a nextel phone!!!
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I do NOT like my US Cellular. I've had this phone for almost 5 years, when the carrier was still PrimeCo, but they were bought out and the service - especially customer service - has steadily gone downhill. Fortunately my contract is over and I'm on month-to-month, so as soon as my tax refund comes in, I'm switching to Cingular (my entire family has the same so we'll all get free calling to each other, plus they currently have the best deal for what I would use.)
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
No offense to the happy Cingular customers...

I would recommend putting a nail through your left thumb before signing up with Cingular. Maybe that's just my bad billing experiences talking. At one point, their automatic draft didn't take money out of my account, and then with no notification at all, my service was cut off for nonpayment. [Mad]

Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
well-i liked sprint and it worked just fine till i came to WV and now i cant get a signal very well in my apt or along the road home...kinda defeated the purpose i guess. Could be my old phone though...ill be getting a new one this month-hopefully it works better
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I have Sprint, and have had for two years. I get great coverage even in areas where my friends with other carriers do not. Their rates have come down considerably since I first signed up. Calls are free to other sprint customers (on my plan at least) and since most of my family has sprint, I can talk to them for hours and it doesn't affect my plan minutes at all.

I don't have a landline and rely on sprint for all my phone calling. I have no complaints. YMMV

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.