FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Rant of My Own (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A Rant of My Own
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
GO RIVKA!!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pseudo-hobbit
Member # 7269

- posted      Profile for pseudo-hobbit   Email pseudo-hobbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, Rivka! [Smile]

You might meet some oddballs, but not all of them will be the bad kind. I joined a dating site out of curiosity a while back and wound up becoming friends with another member, then later meeting him and realizing we clicked. I've been quite happy dating my "internet oddball" for the last five months. [Big Grin]

Posts: 24 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I find it odd that anyone would not use an internet dating service.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, rivka - you're far braver than I! Let us know what happens!
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
In reply to Stormy.

Did I ever mention that when I lived in St. Louis, we lived less than a mile from a woman who met her husband online. It was very odd at the time, as the internet was still brand spanking new. They met online, started dating, got married, he duct taped her to a chair in their garage, poured gasoline on her and set her on fire.

Do you understand now, why some people might hesitate?

rivka, what ever you decide to do, please be careful. I know I'm the raving lunatic on the board, but sometimes it's for a good reason.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now, I get to wait 2 days to get approved.

Shan, not so brave. This is NOT a general dating site. It's just for Orthodox Jews, and they do screen (well, somewhat, looking at the fakes that get through [Roll Eyes] ).

[Addit]
Don't worry, Kayla, I definitely will be. I've had some issues with Internet crazies in the past, at NON-dating sites.

[ February 06, 2005, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka - I emailed an important question.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I think in the early days of the Internet you were more likely to run into crazies. The Internet Dating population was made up more of people who either were really adventurous, were total computer nerds, or were a little on the odd side and had a hard time getting a date in real life.

Nowdays it feels like the Internet population is much more representative of the population in general... you can easily meet crazies either place! [Wink]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Trust me, I know!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Kayla, was it you that had linked an Asperger's syndrome test once? Do you still have that link?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

I have no idea.

Here are a few. The first one seems to be geared more toward adults and the others for parents with concerns about their kids.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aqtest.html

http://www.patientcenters.com/autism/news/diag_tools.html#CARS

http://www.asaoakland.org/chat.htm

Actually, this whole site is filled with links that cover a lot about Asperger's. http://www.orgsites.com/md/asperger_syndrome_info/

If you're looking for info because you are a concerned parent, don't rule out PDD. The whole autism spectrum is out there. Lots of the symptoms are similar.

Icarus
Member # 3162

Thank you.

PDD = ?

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, if you're referring to JDate, one of my coworkers registered on that site about a year ago. Had a couple real duds in the beginning just because they weren't as compatible in real life as they seemed on screen, but he's been with his current girlfriend for a bit more than 6 months now.

And PDD = Pervasive Developmental Disorder, I believe... which from the way my daughter's doctor described it seemed to be a sort of catch-all for "we don't know what's going on yet". I could be wrong though.

[ February 07, 2005, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: Goody Scrivener ]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Ah. Thanks. [Smile]
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka-
Aside from the Hatrack folks who have found love, I know several people who have married after meeting through the internet dating sites or through ads in the newspaper.

I think there is something to the idea of admitting that both people want to be in a relationship that makes it work.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Goody, no, not JDate. One (well, two, actually) more targeted at the Orthodox segment(s).

LD, that's a good way of looking at it. Thanks. [Smile]

[ February 07, 2005, 01:55 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I know several doctors who use online dating services and at least one is very happy with the experience so far. One woman is actually in California, and Jewish. She isn't Orthodox, though. That one is still looking for a good match. She is so picky that she is having trouble despite going on a lot of dates and if she wasn't using a dating service I don't think she'd have a chance of finding someone compatible.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*twinkle* Personally, I prefer the descriptor "knows what she wants" to "picky" . . . [Wink]
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
(((rivka)))
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]

Rivka's on the market!

I've never used an online dating website before but I have dated total strangers through sites like friendster and xanga.

Friendster and xanga are not primarily focused on dating so you generally just have fun expressing yourself without feeling the pressure of being evaluated for matehood. For example, here's a snippet of my profile:

quote:
A loner type (Catcher-in-the-Rye loner, not Ted-Kaczynski loner), I prefer intimate settings to big crowds. I've argued in front of every judge in this state. Often as a lawyer. Many people say I'm a nice and intelligent person, which is nice because I sure paid those people a lot of money.
*I have to warn you though, these sites can be really addictive. In the end I had to give them up so I can continue my enjoyment of Hatcrack.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Rivka's on the market!
*giggle* You know, I've been avoiding that particular phrase. It's the whole The Jungle-type image it conjures up for me. [Wink]

I like your snippet. [Big Grin]

rivka
Member # 4859

*finds profile of someone she knows from online*

*laughs*

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I was drunk when they took those pictures. [Embarrassed]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I met my husband on a religion-specific site (although ours was a penpal service, we had both indicated in our profiles that we were looking). He's turned out pretty well for me so far. Rivka, you met him. Pretty normal, right? (And an absolute sweetheart to put up with me...) It's not all bad out there.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Do you understand now, why some people might hesitate?

No, I don't. It's silly to think that meeting someone over the internet makes it more likely to meet a 'crazy'. Getting to know someone online is much easier and cheaper than starting things in meat space. It just makes more sense. While of course the net is just a start to meeting someone in real life, any stigma against meeting someone online is based on faulty logic and is just silly. Frankly, given the vast numbers of people who use the internet, I'm really suprised it still exists.

As to there being more crazies back in the day, that isn't true to me, either. Why would this be so? Why is using the internet seen as sign of craziness? It's just a tool.

(Should I make another thread on this topic? I don't want to derail Rivka's thread.)

[ February 07, 2005, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka,

There's something to be said for "the prepared mind" finding love by accident. I think the accidental feeling of it is that when one "gives up" one calms down, and then it can "just happen" without being planned or feeling like each outing is an important EVENT!

As for your profile, I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner because I would've added one other thing for the prospective suitor -- that he will know you by your laugh and love to hear it!

You do have the most amazing laugh. Really.

good hunting!

[Wink]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
But if she just sits there laughing when they meet, waiting for him to find her, we're back to "crazies"... [Razz]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
[Evil Laugh]
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I can still edit it, Bob. [Smile] I like your addition. Thanks.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.