FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Are passport photos DESIGNED to make everyone look like a terrorist? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Are passport photos DESIGNED to make everyone look like a terrorist?
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
No, like a late-night-cookie-deliverer.
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry too much.....my military ID makes me look like one. [Mad]
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
My former passport photo was *designed* to look like the little kid I was when it was taken... Oh, the stares I got when I had a beard! Comparing the looks of a 21 year old with beard to the photo of a 14 year old (without beard [Big Grin] ) used to be quite an experience...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
My student card photo looks very odd. I don't look at all like me.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I anticipate some fun when they look at my 8 year old picture and then look at me now and try to decide whether I've just faked the darn thing.

Fortunately, my sparkling blue eyes shine forth still.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
:: decides this probably means dkw and Bob are going somewhere outside the U.S. for their honeymoon........... ::
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
its a new security technique. The security people look at your passport photo, and they look at you. If you actually look like your photo, then they know that you are a terrorist.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I still have my first driver's license. I looked like a bouncer in it [Smile]
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
I love my passport photo! It's a great picture of me. Around the time I got the passport I also got a new license which was also a really good pic of me. Unfortunately I had to give up that license when I moved out of state and none of my id photos since then have been remotely flattering.

I miss that license, but thankfully I still have the passport for a couple more years.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... I'll have to get a passport if I'm going to Japan...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
duh.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz] I've never been to another country. Hopefully I can slim up by then, so I don't look like a troll for my picture. :/
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a pretty photo in my passport. It's the only pretty photo I have on an official document. I'm so proud of it.

[Cool]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
My passport photo was taken on a day of makeup, fixed hair, and dark red lipstick. I look like a Russian spy.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
A very charming Russian spy, I bet [Kiss]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
*beams* Call me Katya.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually liked the photo on my last Virginia license. The one after I was old enough not to be on there in profile. The New York one isn't bad either but it's on a silly looking pink background. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to renew both my passport and my residency visa this year, and the passport bit ought to be interesting. I've never done it via the High Commission before. Do they do it there? Do they have to send everything to Canada to get done? Will they take away my passport for the duration? Will I still be able to prove that I am who I am? I have no other form of identification that works in this country. Could be interesting. [Dont Know]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
On my student card I have very long hair and am giving the camera something of a "model look". It's teh awesome. I wish I could use it for all my cards, but alas, it's not to be. I do like how all my photo ID has drastically different hair lengths. That way I can never forget the mistakes I've made...
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
When I shaved my head I got very funny looks whenever I pulled out an ID with a pic with waist-length hair. And then I got a new driver's license when my hair was just starting to grow back, and looked like a total thug. [Smile] It was fun. But I got a new one again a year or so ago, so I look relatively close to it again.

It was especially fun handing over the thug one when I got carded when I went out and was all dolled up.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Bald/short haired ElJay? I must see it to believe it, pics please.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
You shaved your head?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Sorry, there are no pics. Well, there's one, but it's not digital, and I really don't like it, so I won't be scanning it in.

But yeah, I shaved my head. In my kitchen, actually. About... 7 years ago? Maybe 8. It was fun. dkw can provide verification, if she feels like it.

Added: dkw actually liked it best when it was growing back, about 1/2" long. She said I looked like a Gund. (My hair is very fine.)

[ February 08, 2005, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

How come?
ElJay
Member # 6358

I wanted to.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
It was really hot.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
In my passport photo, I have an ear-to-ear grin and my eyes are open very, very wide. I look like I've just eaten a pound of Vivarin.

Customs agents all over Eastern Europe looked at that photo and LAUGHED.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
My driving licence picture was taken when I was 16 and very into wearing black ribbons and glaring evilly at people. I use it to intimidate bouncers.
My passport picture would be nice except that the hologram is right over the top so when you turn it to the light I look like I've got thistles growing out of my eyebrows. [Grumble]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know...do they enforce the policy of only issuing passports to minors when both parents are present when applied for?

We're going to Mexico in April. I was thinking it would be nice to have passports rather than using birth certificates and photo id, but there's a line on the application that says that both parents must be present when applying for passports for minors. Not a problem for getting one for Rainbow, but big issue for getting one for Christian. Just wonderin'.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I got a passport when I was 15 and only one parent was present. The main concern was all the ID.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

And if you want to hire me as a nanny to accompany you to Mexico, I'm totally open. [Smile]
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
There was something on the news a while ago that said that people were no longer going to be allowed to smile with their teeth showing on passport pictures. Apparently it's not a natural facial expression. [Dont Know]

[Big Grin] [Wink] [Evil]

[ February 08, 2005, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: MidnightBlue ]

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

fugu, there are drawbacks to having relatives who lurk on Hatrack. After my pronouncement yesterday that there was only one picture from when my head was shaved and it wasn't digital, my mother went and found three pictures, including the one I don't like, and scanned them.

She then called me this morning and said she was sending me "something you were talking about..."

*snort*

fugu13
Member # 2859

Well?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Well what?
fugu13
Member # 2859

Well when do we get to see these pictures?
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Cough 'em up, ElJay.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I thought I'd give you a choice... shaved head pics or Hawaii pics, since I haven't posted those yet, either.

Whichever you decide, I can't do it until I get home tonight.

fugu13
Member # 2859

[Razz]

You know the peer pressure will make you post both.

ElJay
Member # 6358

I know no such thing. [Taunt]
dkw
Member # 3264

I, however, could post them right now if Mom sent them to me.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

She knows better. So do you. You wouldn't believe some of the pictures I found when she made me clean out those boxes that were in my old room a couple of months ago.
dkw
Member # 3264

Oh. Right.

[Monkeys]

ElJay
Member # 6358

Thought so. [Smile]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Hey - but your mom IS a Hatracker! She could post them herself!

please, please, please,!!

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

She could, but you may have noticed that I threatened her as well as dkw above. I bet she doesn't.

So it's up to fugu... shaved head pics or Hawaii pics. [Smile]

KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

- posted      Profile for KrabbyPatty   Email KrabbyPatty         Edit/Delete Post 
Lizas should not threaten Moms! [No No]
Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Here's your chance to teach her a lesson, Mom! Just post those photos right on up here, or on Foobonic....

[Evil] FG

ElJay
Member # 6358

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Yes, Mommy.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.