FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Traveler question- PRACTICAL not theoretical

Author Topic: Traveler question- PRACTICAL not theoretical
NewbTheTERRIBLErEVENge
Member # 5588

- posted      Profile for NewbTheTERRIBLErEVENge   Email NewbTheTERRIBLErEVENge         Edit/Delete Post 
hem hemm I know I can in theory get into malaysia without a visa but can only stay for thirty days, but does anybody know what they give Americans when they enter, if it's not a visa, is it a departure card or what? This is kind of important, not that I'm contemplating overstaying an indonesian visa or borderhopping into Malaysia or wondering how then exactly I'm going to get out of Malaysia.
Posts: 34 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
They tend to give FirstWorlders free accomodations in government facilities. A bit cramped what with the shortage of funds to build more cells. The sleeping concrete is a bit hard on the bones, and sometimes a bit damp from overflow of the toilet facilities.
And they letcha eat all the food that your consulate provides that you can protect from fellow guests.

But if ya spend a few tens of thousands of USdollars and hire a good lawyer, ya'll probably get out before they decide that you're a guns/drugs smuggler and execute ya.

[ February 08, 2005, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure about Malaysia, but typically countries stamp a tourist Visa in your passport when you enter the country. This contains the data of entry.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NewbTheTERRIBLErEVENge
Member # 5588

- posted      Profile for NewbTheTERRIBLErEVENge   Email NewbTheTERRIBLErEVENge         Edit/Delete Post 
OK thanks Espectre, I'll keep that in mind, that's actually a fair bit better than I invisioned, I was rather expecting to get the crap beat out of me straight off.
Thing is Rabbit, you don't need a visa to go to malaysia, that's why I'm wondering.

Posts: 34 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Travel documents required for Malaysia. You will also need an International Certificate of Vaccinations; with proof of a Yellow Fever vaccination if you are traveling from an infected country.

If you aren't a citizen of that first set of countries allowed indefinite visitation, you are also required to have tickets and documents for return or onward travel.

If you aren't from either the first or second group, you will probably also need a certificate of solvency: ie proof that you could -- not will or must -- spend a certain set amount of money per day if you wanted to while visiting the country.
However, even if you are from either the first or second group, check with your own embassy/consulate just in case your own particular nation is on the Indonesian/Malaysian list requiring proof of solvency.
Regulations may change, and tit-for-tat sometimes occurs during diplomatic brouhahas. eg Brazil recently (and very very temporarily, I think) required US citizens to have certificates of solvency. Even though US tourists had never been required to have one before, and other FirstWorld citizens were allowed to continue visiting without one.

"...contemplating overstaying an Indonesian visa or borderhopping into Malaysia or wondering how then exactly I'm going to get out of Malaysia."

And I'm saying don't. I may be out of date but...
The people of Malaysia and Indonesia are amongst the friendliest you'll ever meet. However, don't even think about putting yourself in a position of tangling with their judicial systems. Don't even think about giving officials the idea that you disrespect their country, disrespect their people by showing deliberate disregard for their laws.
Cuz it can cost ya a LOT if you run across an official who wants to make trouble because s/he thinks you are trouble.
Typical tourist mischief or stupidity, they handle quite politely. Deliberate disrespect is another matter altogether.

Do everything legal and aboveboard; including having a way out of the country when your visiting time is up.

[ February 09, 2005, 03:39 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Bumping cuz I added to the above.
NewbTheTERRIBLErEVENge
Member # 5588

"The people of Malaysia and Indonesia are amongst the friendliest you'll ever meet. However, don't even think about putting yourself in a position of tangling with their judicial systems..."

Yeah that's my general impression.

"However, even if you are from either the first or second group, check with your own embassy/consulate just in case your own particular nation is on the Indonesian/Malaysian list requiring proof of solvency.
Regulations may change, and tit-for-tat sometimes occurs during diplomatic brouhahas. eg Brazil recently (and very very temporarily, I think) required US citizens to have certificates of solvency. Even though US tourists had never been required to have one before, and other FirstWorld citizens were allowed to continue visiting without one."

Not worried there. Brazil's the exception that proves the rule, they did that deliberately.

"Typical tourist mischief or stupidity, they handle quite politely. Deliberate disrespect is another matter altogether."

How do you mean? What's the technical difference between mischeif and disrespect as you're defining it?
Thanks for the info. You say you think it might be out of date? like how out of date? and what about the link you posted, any idea of its currentness?

NewbTheTERRIBLErEVENge
Member # 5588

One reason I ask was I think US citizens can only stay 30 days not three months.
Not that this is particularly important as my my primary concern is not getting in but getting out halfway legitimately.(ok yeah I realize it's not exactly do-able)

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you get a visa and enter Malaysia legitimately?

Might be the safer option....

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, you'll be ok.

(Reading that website)

Just make sure when you go in you go via an immigration post, get a disembarkation card and have your passport handy. You're right, you don't need a visa if you're staying for less than a month.

So you'll be fine. Then when you leave you just hand your disembarkation card over and no problems.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Some countries in south/southwest Asia are not exactly fond of the US and their policies regarding immigration and visas. Sri Lanka has its own way of retaliating - the visa fees that foreigners pay to visit/stay in Sri Lanka are the equivalent of what Sri Lankans have to pay in the respective country, for example. I found this out after Americans here complained because the visa prices were so incredibly high for them, much higher than just about everyone else. Well, it turned out it was because of how much the US charges . . .

Yeah, I make it quite clear to people her that I'm not American, I'm Canadian. [ROFL]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I know, telling people you're an Alaskan works great untill they see your passport- not that I've had any trouble whatsoever with that particular issue so far.
Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.