FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Science under Bush (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Science under Bush
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it very believable. Most voters don't understand the issue or care much about it (in fact, for some sticking it to scientists is a sufficient reason to vote for a politican), and the benefits in terms of donat^H^H^H^H^H goodwill from industry groups are immediately tangible.

Its the same sort of thinking that's led the Bush administration to shift a lot of regulation enforcement from government agencies . . . to the industries themselves! Unsurprisingly, violations suddenly drop off, yet there's "no change" in the standards or the enforcement.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I could make a fairly big list of Clinton distortions and political manipulation of science if I wanted to. But Karl's right - it's not relevant here.
I'll take classic rhetorical tricks for 100, Alex. Come on Dag, you think no one here has read Cicero?
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Squick; you beat me to it.

Dag, you're a fair-minded person. Take a minute or two, and match Clinton's distortions and political manipulation of science line-for-line with President Bush's.

I think you'll run out of Clinton's long before you're even halfway through Bush's. Then, I guess, you could move on to Jimmy Carter's screw ups to keep the comparison going.

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
This just hit slashdot:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-scientists10feb10,0,4954654.story?coll=la-home-nation

I just love stories like this:

quote:
One biologist based in California, who responded to the survey, said in an interview with The Times that the Fish and Wildlife Service was not interested in adding any species to the endangered species list.

"For biologists who do endangered species analysis, my experience is that the majority of them are ordered to reverse their conclusions [if they favor listing]. There are other biologists who will do it if you won't," said the biologist, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.