FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » roosters

Author Topic: roosters
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
so, i hear on tv this morning that today marks the chinese new year, the year of the rooster.

does anybody here celebrate the chinese new year? what is one supposed to do and how is it culturally different than the traditional new year?

Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, but since my college Mascot is the Gamecock, otherwise known as rooster, we are having a grand old time of the year of the rooster.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a rooster! My mom and I were both born in the year of the rooster, and I've always been quite fond of the animals.

It's also the national animal of France.

The rooster is a lovely little beast. Yay year of the rooster!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Myeh, in the game of Rooster, Ox, Snake: Ox Sqaushes rooster.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Dragon beats all. [Wink]
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Ooh. What are the hand signals for Rooster, Ox, Snake?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Yeah, Kat, and I bet you were that kid who always tried to play Atom Bomb during Rock, Paper, Scissor.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I usually go for scissors. They beat paper every time, but watch out for rock.

Edit: Oh, Annie, you've deflated my joke.

[ February 09, 2005, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: advice for robots ]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz] That's my year! Year of Dragon.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I'm really very, very fond of roosters. In one drawing class I took I drew roosters for the first 15 assignments. She drew the line, though, when I tried to use one for the portraiture assignment.

And once I drew myself as a nahual - a half-animal. I was a rooster with my head, of course. All the Mexican ladies thought I was weird. I should scan that in when I get home and show y'all...

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I've started to depend on google for notifications of holidays I myself don't celebrate. Today there's a rooster and some Chinese characters getting snuggly with the usual google banner.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I was born in the year of the boar. Okay, yes, I'm a pig.

Emma is a monkey, though. That's cool.

All I know about the Chinese New Year is you're supposed to do things for good luck in the new year, like eat certain foods, you party instead of working, kids get lucky money and bring their older relatives oranges and sweets, and you're supposed to have paid you debts and cleaned your house.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a Tiger:

"growl"

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Did you guys see google today? www.google.com

It's really cute, I love their theme days. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an Aries Rabbit, FWIW.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My little brother's a tiger, too, Teshi.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a rat.

Goody.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a rabbit....a Sagittarius rabbit, actually.

Neither descriptor actually fits that well.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a tiger.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All I know about the Chinese New Year is you're supposed to do things for good luck in the new year, like eat certain foods, you party instead of working, kids get lucky money and bring their older relatives oranges and sweets, and you're supposed to have paid you debts and cleaned your house.
this is more what i was looking for when i started this thread, people. not that i expected more than what i got [Wink]

anyhow, anybody have any experience celebrating Chinese New Years?

Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
The rooster is the national animal of France? In that case, let's hear it for the year of the coq au vin! Chinese New Year, French style. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

- posted      Profile for Lisha-princess   Email Lisha-princess         Edit/Delete Post 
I am terrified of roosters.
Posts: 119 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
No wonder the French are so cocky.

Annie, I knew you had a thing for roosters. (Hey, your site's down!)

I expect this to be on your wedding registry. [Smile]

[ February 10, 2005, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Wolf, Ram, Hart.

I'm a bulldawg. (Taurus + Dog, element = copper, flower = sweet pea)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
anyhow, anybody have any experience celebrating Chinese New Years?
I don't know how other people celebrate Chinese New Years, but in my childhood I remember it was celebrated with a lot of candy, red envelopes (filled with money) from relatives, fireworks, and gambling.

I was five when my uncles taught me how to play blackjack. Good times! [Big Grin]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.