FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Soldier's Uniform Hangs From Noose In Front Of Home (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Soldier's Uniform Hangs From Noose In Front Of Home
Hermocrates of Syracuse
Member # 7233

- posted      Profile for Hermocrates of Syracuse           Edit/Delete Post 
Any news on what happened to the fellows who tore it down?
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt they were caught. If they were, trespass and petty larceny - misdemeanors, probably no jail time assuming no priors.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hermocrates of Syracuse
Member # 7233

- posted      Profile for Hermocrates of Syracuse           Edit/Delete Post 
Apectre, I was there, he didnt kill us off, we fought with honor and with pride and we do so still.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey look at that, Bean Counter's back.

---

If I'm reading the guy's intent correctly, I think what he was trying to say was pretty close to what punwit first said. If so, I think it's an important point that is being suppressed* in most official channels. However, the guy's choice of ways to express it was very poorly made. It comes across initially as him wanting to hang soldiers and then, even on deliberation, still is (as Dag pointed out) a pretty bad symbol for his complaint (unles h'es trying to say that the American government or it's people are trying to get the soldiers killed.

* The factual reporting is there, but the emotionally resonant images like what this guy seems to be going for have been excised.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I doubt Jay is Bean Counter.

Fills the same ecological niche, though.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope Dag I believe Squick was referring to Hermocrates of Syracuse as BC/Jarhead etc. As I recall he slipped once and signed Bean Counter to a Hermocrates post.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I'm not talking about Jay.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Ah, missed that. He seems a lot more articulate than BC was, but the signature thing is pretty damning.

I stand by the last sentence in my previous post.

[ February 10, 2005, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I went back and searched where I thought it was, but several posts have been edited and it could have been deleted. I wish I had facts to back up my recollection though. If the accusation is false I would deeply regret it.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure if you made a mistake it was unintentional. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Was that the same thing you saw, MrSqucky?
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Nope, I didn't see that. If we deleted all the stuff up to my initial post and BC hasn't seen them yet, I might be able to show you what I'm talking about, but I'm pretty sure that chance is gone. *shrug* No big deal really.

[ February 10, 2005, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Was it ever proven that BC was impersonating a soldier? If he got caught once I would be somewhat surprised to see him try it again with HOS.

Sorry, HOS, for all this fuss. We've been burned before. [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

BC admitted it at one point. Someone dug out the thread at some point in the last month.
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Thanks Dag. I lost track after a while.

/derailment

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The person BC admitted to being was DisgruntledPostman, IIRC.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
To be fair, I was never quite sure that BC “admitted” that. Right after someone accused him of being Disgruntled Postman, he posted something along the lines of, “yeah, I’ve been lying about what I do this whole time, I’m really an upset postal worker from [some town]. If you want to send mail I’m sure this guy would be glad to get it.” Followed by a name and armed forces mailing address. I think the post may have been an attempt at sarcasm based on the “Disgruntled Postman” accusation.

I didn’t post at the time, or the last few times this has been brought up, because I think he was an inconsiderate and disruptive poster and I’m glad he’s gone. But I’ve been feeling a little guilty about that. I know he was using at least two IDs, because I (along with others) saw him accidentally sign the wrong name to one of them, and he was definitely using the two IDs to manipulate conversations. I still think he was a troll, but he might have been an actual military troll rather than a civilian impersonating a soldier troll.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Dana, I never thought of that, but you're right - it could be interpreted that way.

Dagonee

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
But now BC could be a guerrilla troll, a military troll blending in to the civilian troll population.
He could be anyone! [Eek!]

Then we would need military trolls trained in counterinsurgency to handle him.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's in poor taste. My first impression is uncertainty as to the meaning of the gesture. It very clearly (to me) can be interpreted the way that Trisha did. In fact, that's the direction I lean toward. I can understand how others view it differently, but the very ambiguity makes it a poor choice.

I agree with those who have said that they recognize their right to protest like this, but would reply with their feet or their dollars (or their own voices). I don't think this is contrary to the principals of freedom of speech. Freedom of speech does not equate to lack of consequences for speech. The government should not interfere. The neighbors shouldn't vandalize his property. The law should not be broken. But if people want to express their opposition to this message in other ways, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Having taken a day to ponder on this topic I see several areas of discussion. Originally I was under the impression that the outrage was fueled by disgust at the message that the Pearcys were sending. I wasn't surprised that some saw it as an indictment of our troops but I surely don't see it that way and unless we hear it from the horses' mouth we won't know for sure.

Following that line of thought leads us to Dagonee who said,
quote:
I assumed it was about the government, and I still found it offensive.
So now we see that at least some of us don't hate the message but, rather the vehicle.(I'm assuming this was what Dag meant, although I could be wrong) I'd suggest that this falls under the category of poor choice. I can see this line of reasoning but I am still perplexed at the amount of anger generated.

I guess the point I'm getting at is that the level of greivance must be a combination of the vehicle as well as the message.

*ends blundering about blindly trying to make some sense*

Edit to clarify that the poor choice comment was directed at the Pearcy's method of protesting and not Dag's opinion.

[ February 10, 2005, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Then we would need military trolls trained in counterinsurgency to handle him.

[ROFL]

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I am offended by the style of the message, but not the substance, assuming that the issue is the misuse of the American military for selfish or foolish purposes rather than any misconduct on the part of the troops. I agree that there are so many better ways of expressing this, some of which are sufficiently thought-provoking. The "Your Tax Dollars at Work" on a flag-draped coffin, for example.

The hanging American soldier leaves too much open to interpretation, and the desecration of the uniform is distasteful to me. Sure, there are some soldiers who do horrible things, but many (I'd guess most) are good and honorable people. If you're going to hang an effigy, hang someone who deserves it.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
dkw, that isn't all that happened. He signed BC to disgruntled postmans post, and then a few posts later said, oops I guess the secret is out now.

The he went on to "admit" that he wasn't a soldier and wasn't about to head to Iraq, as he claimed to be doing.

Then he posted saying that he didn't know why people
were saying that, could they please get back on topic....with a snicker at the bottom.

He was Disgruntled Postman as well as BC, although he never admitted he was Jar Head.

No doubt about it.

I have no idea if he is currently posting as anyone else here, I must have missed it.

One thing I do know, as my aunt was a Marine for years, and was one of the highest ranking Rapid Deployment Officers .........the Marines missed their recruiting goals for the first time since Vietnam this year. At least that is what she told me.

Also, the Marines retention rates are lower then they have ever been, and re-enlisting is a moot point....the Marines aren't letting people go any more than the other branches are, they are forcing people to stay in even though their term of service is up.

Kwea

[ February 11, 2005, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea, she told you correctly.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6907824/

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.