FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Outrageous!

Author Topic: Outrageous!
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Wal-Mart closes Canadian store over union dispute

The most ridiculous part is at the end where Wal-Mart claims the condition of the store was "fragile". Sorry....not buying it.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Wal-Mart is the anti-Christ. What gets me is that my friend who got me to boycott Nestle and Mitsubishi loves them [Dont Know]
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
There are lots of things to not like about Wal-Mart, but I don't find this outrageous at all. They said that the union demands could not be met without losing money. What do you expect? A store should stay open, lose money, and just keep operating because the union says so?

I don't find Wal-Mart nearly as egregious re: their employees as companies like Manpower, where the employees cannot possibly unionize, yet have no job security or benefits.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They said that the union demands could not be met without losing money. What do you expect? A store should stay open, lose money, and just keep operating because the union says so?
We don't know enough about the profits of the store or the plasticity of the demands of the contract to know if they were really losing money.

The thing about unionizing Wal-mart is that it's going to have to be a mass drive, with fifteen stores involved, because one store can just close, sending an intimidating message to all of the other employees at other stores. I've been in an ugly union drive, and this is the kind of fear that works. Nobody wants the store to close. It's not good for the Union and it's the employee's livelihood.

I thought this was funny:

quote:
The closest a U.S. union has ever come to winning a battle with Wal-Mart was in 2000, at a store in Jacksonville, Texas. In that store, 11 workers — all members of the store's meatpacking department — voted to join and be represented by the UFCW.

That effort failed when Wal-Mart eliminated the job of meatcutter companywide, and moved away from in-store meatcutting to stocking only pre-wrapped meat.

[ February 09, 2005, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

Jeni, if you assume that what Wal-Mart is saying is the truth, then you are correct--there's nothing outrageous about that (annoying, perhaps, but understandable). However, I've learned enough about Wal-Mart and corporations in general that I no longer trust them when they say they're losing money. Perhaps if I had their papers to look at I'd find that they're right in this instance--but "it'll cost too much" is far too often used as an excuse for not providing needed changes.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I know what I'd find - instead of a brain, a cash register, and instead of a heart a bottom line.

Yeah, take that, Joe Fox....I mean Sam Walton!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
They've been losing money for several months, but only just now decided to close. Yeah, that's believable.

And the errily brilliant thing is that since whole communities are involved in bringing in a Wal-Mart, this closing can not only intimidate employees but recruit entire municipalities in repressing the possibility of unionization.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
*still not thinking this is outrageous*

The company decided that it wasn't win/win, so they said "no deal". They've got a pretty well established reputation for intolerance to unionization. The employees voted to make the attempt anyway. And lost. No one makes a person work for Wal-Mart. I don't see what's so outrageous about what Wal-Mart did. It's not like it is surprising.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

That it isn't surprising is part of what makes it outrageous, Jeni.

When Wal-Mart enters a community--a small town, at least; they aren't tough enough to take out whole cities--they almost inevitably undercut the local competition so that it collapses. (I still bear them a grudge for what happened to my home town when the Super Wal-Mart opened.) Prices are kept low by keeping wages and benefits low, and other places of work disappear, forcing the community into dependence on Wal-Mart for both goods and jobs. It becomes the very image of the old corporate towns that sprung up around mines in eastern Kentucky. That such towns eventually fail when their workers become too poor is not much comfort.

Events like this are familiar--we recount them all the time, online and in person--and still Wal-Mart claims it is doing nothing wrong. That is what is outrageous.

[ February 09, 2005, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: Mabus ]

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
WalMart wanted to buy property and build in my town and our city council said no thanks. They wanted to buy property near the main exit, and again, no.

They did finally purchase land another exit up - puts them outside the city limits, and since it's the exit up I don't need to see it.

Not every small town rolls over and welcomes them with open arms.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Did any other child of the 80s see this thread title and think, "Whoa, Jem, Je-em, the music's contagious...truly, truly, truly outrageous!"

[Big Grin]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Itrami, that wasn;t funny to me, it was chilling. That is how far they are willing to go to avoid unionization. [Frown]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.