FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I have a confession to make....

Author Topic: I have a confession to make....
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a chocolate today.

That is not my confession. It probably should be, but it isn't.

Rather, I had a chocolate truffle out of a bag of some high-quality truffles from which Christy and I have been nibbling over the last week. And I loved it.

Loved.

It was sweet, but not cloying. Savory, but not bitter, There were hints of caramel and butter and puffy clouds full of mimes giddy about love.

It was remarkably unlike the chocolate we've been buying recently, which has been -- to paraphrase a line used by a chocolate reviewer quoted a week or so ago on this site -- kind of like a thief in the dark silken night being raped by a raccoon, or something like that.

Harsh. Bitter. Still tasty, but redolent faintly of being burnt or otherwise mistreated in some way.

See. we buy the "good" chocolate. 70, 80, 90 percent cocoa. The kind of chocolate that actually says how much cocoa is in it right on the package, as if that were something really impressive, as if all the other stuff you put in is some kind of impurity, as if what people really want to eat would be a big dry mound of freshly powdered cocoa stuck together by, I dunno, wet cocoa.

I love milk chocolate. Yeah, chocolate with milk in it. Chocolate that's not even mostly chocolate, but mostly other stuff with chocolate IN it. I always have. When I drink chocolate milk, I cut it with regular milk. Just because.

But I will no longer live in secrecy. I will no longer hide my plebian affections for the cheap stuff as if they were something of which I should be ashamed.

I prefer milk chocolate to dark chocolate, and I'm not afraid to admit it.

[ February 09, 2005, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Are mimes allowed to fall in love? I'd never considered the possibility.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, it's not like they are Jedi knights. :chuckle:

When I dream of chocolate, it is milk chocolate. Or Oreos. I am a base and lowly non-epicurean as well.

Oh no, now I have a mental image of a mime in love with a Jedi knight.

[ February 09, 2005, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: mothertree ]

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I suppose I always thought mimes were asexual.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
Oreos are my weakness. It's really quite sad. The only ice cream I'll eat these days is Cookies N Cream because of the Oreos.
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone here had Starbuck's Chantico? "Drinking Chocolate" they call it. A woman I work with drank half a serving and reported it as if it were an orgasmic experience. I've tried three times to get it since then and each time they have been sold out. [Grumble]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I'm trying to stay flippant about this to avoid being deeply hurt by the traitorous allegiances to milk chocolate that are being bandied about so freely in here.
Annie
Member # 295

You should find a good recipe for Mexican chocolate con agua, Karl. [Smile]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the name tells you what's in it, really. "Chocolate con agua." I mean, what else is it?

If I ordered a "rum con Coke" and there were, y'know, Skittles in it or something, I'd be dismayed.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, Tom. Are you saying you love milk chocolate, or are you saying you love cheap milk chocolate? Those are two different things. I don't think chocolate has to be dark to be good... but I do think it has to be good. Made with real milk and cream and sugar and no waxy or oily crap added. Beyond that, if you prefer the lighter shades of chocolate, more power to you.

[ February 09, 2005, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Calling it chocolate con agua is only a way to distinguish it from chocolate con leche - both of which are akin to what we would call hot chocolate. One of which is superior.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
How would agua bring anything to the table flavor-wise that leche cannot?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

And ElJay is very wise.

I've had excellent milk chocolate, but most of it was made by Germans and exploited the talents of many hazelnuts.

Annie
Member # 295

Muppet - Because agua doesn't hold up a poncho for the chocolate to hide behind like that sneaky leche does. Let the chocolate be her full-bodied, naked self!
ElJay
Member # 6358

Oh! When I was a kid one year around Easter my mom found these eggs in the store that were real eggs that had been drained and washed out and then filled with a milk chocolate/ground hazelnut mixture and resealed with a white plug that looked very much like the eggshell. You had to crack and peel the egg to get the chocolate. I'm pretty sure they were from Germany, and they were wonderful, and I found them the next year and have never found them again. I look almost every year. Fabulous. I might have to try to find them on-line this year...
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

We actually saw ones just like that in Harry and David's a few days ago, Liza.
ElJay
Member # 6358

Woot! I am SO there! Thanks, Tom!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
These? Cool. They also come in polka dot.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Hmmmm. I'm not sure what it means by hazelnut praline, that usually involves sugar and/or carmaly stuff, but it's worth trying anyway. Especially since there's a Harry and David's at the Mall of America, which is about 5 miles away.
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
There's an in-between you know. I bought some of that 90% chocolate or whatever. It's completely inedible. I will use it to cook or something.

But I absolutely prefer dark chocolate to milk chocolate. I'm not sure what percent a Hershey's Special Dark or a Cadbury Dark Chocolate is, but that's more my speed.

I prefer my chocolate unadulterated, though. No nuts, no other flavors, no fruits. Milk is okay, though certainly not preferred.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
There have been many times when Tom has written something that I have disagreed with. There have been a fair number of times that Tom has posted something that I have agreed with.

This time, Tom wrote something that I could have written.
quote:
I love milk chocolate. Yeah, chocolate with milk in it. Chocolate that's not even mostly chocolate, but mostly other stuff with chocolate IN it. I always have. When I drink chocolate milk, I cut it with regular milk. Just because.

But I will no longer live in secrecy. I will no longer hide my plebeian affections for the cheap stuff as if they were something of which I should be ashamed.

And not only do I prefer milk chocolate -- and the more milk, the better -- but I prefer milk chocolate with stuff in it. Nuts, fruit, truffle fillings, caramel . . . *happy sigh*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in love with See's milk chocolate Bordeaux. Yum.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
What about Cadbury chocolate? (not from the US kind)
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, US-made Cadbury is so inferior to the real thing!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I also prefer milk chocolate. That super-dark crap is like chewing bark. Yuck.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Good dark chocolate is like a good baritone voice.
Milk chocolate is more like tenors. I don't like tenors as much as baritones.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That super-dark crap is like chewing bark
Waukenfuss at the mall across the street sells Dark Chocolate Almond Bark. Mmmmmmmmmmmm!

I like chocolate in all forms. I love Sees chocolates, and Godiva, too. I love Cadbury and Dove (dark and milk), and Toblerone. I'd eat a Snickers, Butterfinger, Three Musketeers, Heath, Krackle, Hershey's, Reeces PB Cup. I like white chocolate, dark chocolate, milk chocolate. Chocolate covered peanuts, almonds, raisins, macadamia nuts. I wouldn't turn up my nose at a Hershey's Kiss or even a Hershey's Hug. I even like M&Ms.

But I'm trying to watch my weight now, so if I'm going to add Chocolate to my diet, it's most likely going to be something expensive and truely luscious.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha, just don't go reading these chocolate threads, then! We've had luscious, although mostly dark, chocolate continually since Christmas. *grin*

Sadly, my meal plans are seriously falling apart, too, so its not just the chocolate.

Mmm, where was that chips thread?

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*GASP* [Eek!]

All hail the dark chocolate!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
It's true. Chocolate is a beautiful thing. But everyone knows that eating Godiva chocolate is truely a holy experience. See's just doesn't cut it, I'm afraid.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I like chocolate in all forms. I love Sees chocolates, and Godiva, too. I love Cadbury and Dove (dark and milk), and Toblerone. I'd eat a Snickers, Butterfinger, Three Musketeers, Heath, Krackle, Hershey's, Reeces PB Cup. I like white chocolate, dark chocolate, milk chocolate. Chocolate covered peanuts, almonds, raisins, macadamia nuts. I wouldn't turn up my nose at a Hershey's Kiss or even a Hershey's Hug. I even like M&Ms.

But I'm trying to watch my weight now, so if I'm going to add Chocolate to my diet, it's most likely going to be something expensive and truely luscious.

Testify, my brutha.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. One more for our list Tom!
Tom and I will have a top ten list yet! I need to start keeping track. OSC, Chocolate, there was another something a while backā€¦.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Trader Joe's dark chocolate is not so bad, but it does not have a strong enough chocolate flavour to me.
I got to have tons of chocolate. Like triple chocolate cake or redundantly chocolate brownie sundaes.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm in love with See's milk chocolate Bordeaux. Yum.
See's just opened up a store a few blocks away from my house.... bad news for dieting me!!!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.