FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » For the praying types... (Resolution: Very Very positive!)

Author Topic: For the praying types... (Resolution: Very Very positive!)
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Could you spend a few minutes for Jackson? He's 2 months old and is about to be waitlisted for a heart transplant.

The family is friends of ours...their 17 year old daughter got pregnant last year and had this little boy in December. They knew about his heart problem in utero and got as prepared as they could. He's already had one surgery. He was doing well until this week, and now it looks they've decided that a new heart is all that will save him.

Thanks.

[ June 19, 2005, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: jeniwren ]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
<Praying.>
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My prayers are with him. Would the family mind if I put him on the Temple prayer roll? I think we're going tomorrow night.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
~~~~~~~~~~ prayers for Jackson ~~~~~~~~~

Farmgirl & family

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
<praying>
Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
You know I'll say a prayer, poor baby. And for his family, man they must be going through a living nightmare. [Frown]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Praying for little Jackson...and for his doctors and family. I cannot imagine his mama's fears right now. [Frown]
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
prayers said.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Thanks all, and no, KQ, I don't think they'd mind at all. The more prayers the better. They are a Christian family and believe deeply in the power of prayer.

It's been a very difficult year for them. Discovering their daughter was pregnant was a shock. Then to find that the baby had an almost certainly fatal birth defect. Which was upgraded to a 70% chance of survival a month or so before he was born. He survived birth, has done well, and now this. It's been hard all around.

Thanks again, everyone. I really, really appreciate it.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll keep him in my prayers. Do you know what the heart defect is?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be praying for him as well.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
<praying>
Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

SM, I don't know the particulars in detail. The heart, as I understand it, is not working properly in two sections, so the other two sections are working too hard. Chris (Jackson's grandma) explained it to me soon after the problem was originally diagnosed, but it's been some months now and I don't remember the finer points. I haven't talked to her directly in a while (a mutual friend called me yesterday asking if I could keep the baby in prayer, and to see if I could take up some of Chris's commitments at church) so the latest info I'm getting is second hand. I'm hoping to get ahold of her tonight, so I might know tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone. I'll let you all know what happens.

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Would the family mind if I put him on the Temple prayer roll?
!! I was just thinking that telling Hatrack like putting names on the rolls in the temple.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister had a baby with Hypoplastic Left Heart is why I'm asking. He didn't make it.

I'll be thinking of him. [Frown]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Prayers on the way -
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
The baby that Jenni's friend from work had died right before Christmas, so we will keep Jackson in our prayers and hope that he does better.... [Frown]

[ February 11, 2005, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Any update on Jackson's status, jeniwren?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry I didn't see this before. I'll add my prayers. I have a colleague whose son is going through this. I also have an older friend on the heart transplant list. It's terrible waiting for the news of someone's death as the cause of so much hope for oneself or ones children. But still, it is good that out of a tragedy, someone else's life may be saved.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Pops, thanks for asking. Yes, I talked to his grandma a few days ago and they got him on the waiting list on the 22nd. He is in excellent health except that his heart is working too hard. She said that you'd never know he was sick to look at him right now. A huge blessing.

She said that the average wait is 6 to 8 weeks. In the meantime they're staying in an apartment close to Children's Hospital in Seattle. It could happen any time. There are many very difficult things about this, not the least of which is the seriousness of the surgery. Grandma is struggling with the reality that having a donor heart available means that someone else's baby will have to die, probably unexpectedly. For her, she's been aware of Jackson's heart problem for months, so the real possibility of his death is something she's familiar with and has come to some peace about. The thought that a family would have to suffer worse than what she's viewing their struggle as is very hard for her to reconcile. While at the same time being glad for Jackson's gift of life.

Jackson's mother is struggling with the recent discovery that she won't be able to graduate with her class as she'd hoped. Of course she is worried for her son...she had just hoped she could graduate with her class as well. So she had a few down days about it last week. I know it seems minor in the face of what is going on, but I think it was an anchor of normalcy that she needed.

All in all, things look good right now. Thanks everyone for your prayers! I'll let you know when the transplant takes place. Thanks again.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
6 to 8 weeks surprises me. The people I know on transplant lists must be considered to be much lower risk or priority. Both have been on the lists for years.

Of course, the fact that they've survived this long while still awaiting a transplant must mean something about their overall condition...

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Bob, it surprised me too, and Chris (Grandma) as well. But that's what they said. I haven't any idea how many babies this age get listed. I hope to heaven it isn't very many. [Smile]

How old is your friend's son?

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Prayers on their way.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, there is a much higher demand for adult hearts than for child hearts. Not many children, compareably, need transplants, so the list is much shorter.

A child can't use an adult heart, or an adult use a child's, so that is why there are parellel lists.

In our thoughts and prayers...the child, and the family.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Best wishes. *fingers crossed
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

In case anyone is curious, Jackson is still waiting for a heart. He's also doing very well. He's currently in the ICU because of the medications they have him on, but he's alert and thriving. Reportedly, the doctors at Childrens regularly go in and visit him just to play. I get the impression that he's a "feel good" spot for them, since he is so ill, but doesn't act a bit like it. He's developmentally a little ahead of his age, and he continues to gain weight. All wonderful things. It is a trying time for the family, though, as long days at the hospital are wearing.

Thanks for your prayers! They are definitely being answered. I'll let you know when he gets a heart and how it goes.

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

<Continues praying.>
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so glad he's doing well. I'll keep him in my prayers.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeni, are they still in Seattle? Is there anything I can do for them? Take them a meal, or some baby things?
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Yes, they're still in Seattle. I'll check with Chris and see what she says. That's an incredibly generous offer...I know she'll be very touched. I'll let you know.

[Group Hug] romany

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Please feel free to give them my e-mail, it's in my profile.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
God. I hope he makes it. I will pray for him.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm praying for him and his family.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the update. I'll pray for him, too.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
I always admire those who are ill but still are strong and cheerful.
<prays>

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry] I hope he makes it. My son died of aortic sthenosis and my nephew died of Epstein's Anomaly. Now I have a nephew with leukemia.

My secret shame is that after they came and told us he was dead and that they had to act quickly if they were going to harvest organs for donation, we said no. Which is strange because I generally believe in donation and am a donor myself. I mean, obviously his heart wouldn't have helped anyone. Granted, I was borderline psychotic, and my husband had hepatitis.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Baby Jackson is in my prayers.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

mothertree, no one expects to have to make those decisions. Don't feel ashamed because you weren't able to think clearly. You dod the best you could ((((hugs))))
jeniwren
Member # 2002

mt, don't be ashamed. That must have been a time far beyond the definition of the word 'stressful'.

Right now everything is very hopeful. He's very strong considering his condition. But we keep praying that he continues to do well.

Thanks, Mrs. M. You and Baby A are in my prayers too. I think of you often.

Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeni- I will pray for them. The waiting is so hard. We were told one to two years and waited about 6 weeks. I will pray that the right heart comes at the right time. The doctors were very surprised when they opened Stephen up to see that his heart was worse than they had expected. I pray that God will bless Jackson and his family with the strength and courage they need. I can't imagine being 17 and going through what I know his mom must be going through. She can email me if she needs another mom who's been there to talk to. I think my email is in my profile.

I know what the Grandma is feeling though. It is really hard knowing that your child is living because someone else died. But it does help to remember that the other person would have died anyway and at least the family is able to do something good out of that death. It is really really hard.

(((MT))) Don't carry guilt or shame around for saying no. Things happen and we live. Thats all we can do.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Update:

Jackson got his new heart last week. He is doing very VERY well, and they think he may be able to go home (home!) by the end of the week!

That's all I know (I talked to Jackson's great-grandma this morning, who gave us this news), but I was thrilled to hear and thought you all might be too. Thank you for your prayers. They've definitely been answered.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yay!!! *cries* I'm so happy when prayer requests like this have a good resolution!
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
That is so wonderful! I'm sorry for the family that lost their baby, but I'm happy for Jackson and his family. Great to hear, and thanks for updating us.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! [Smile] Thanks for the update.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.