FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 1984 in school - creepy (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 1984 in school - creepy
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
This is just... ugh. [Frown]

If anything is un-American, this surely is.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Telp-- not really. The application may or may not make you shudder, but the idea and invention are wholly typical of American ingenuity.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
The way the superintendent went about this does not inspire confidence or trust. If I were a parent of a student in this school, I would be in front of the school board demanding the superintendent's resignation on the simple grounds that he has lost the trust of the parents. That no-one would believe a word the man says about how safe or beneficial this technology is by virtue of the fact that he did the whole deal behind their backs. Period. He's displayed an amazing lack of understanding of who he works for and either the experiment ends or he leaves.

How's that for "over-reacting?" It's not so much about the technology as it is about being responsible and responsive.

As for being freaked out by it, I suspect that if parents had been consulted in advance, they might think it was benign or, more likely a waste of money.

Think about this...a child in elementary school is given a card to wear that costs real money to replace. The kid comes home without it... Ooops. Lost it.

Parent pays to replace it? Not THIS parent.

I'd very soon tell the school to have the teachers collect the tags for safekeeping if I were responsible for my first grader not losing it.

How stupd is this idea, really.

I mean, kids play on the playground. It will get broken. It will get lost.

And why wouldn't the kids trade them? Sounds like fun.

Would the school bullies take away my kid's tag and then I've got to pay for it.

I mean, the practical problems are just amazing in their simplicity and their pervasiveness.

I'd start by asking why we don't spend the money on a human who could improve the education at the school. Surely there must be something we could improve before wasting money on this.

Then, I'd probably want to investigate the dealings between the superintendent and the person selling this equipment. Are they buddies? What process was used to make this decision. Was the usual bid process followed? Why wasn't the school board in on the decision? Was there a meeting I missed???

Ah, this could provide years of fun for someone to obsess over.

I suspect a few people would be very worried about their jobs/re-election before it was all over.

[ February 12, 2005, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like they aren't using it anymore.
link

[ February 17, 2005, 03:08 AM: Message edited by: HollowEarth ]

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
Well done InCom.
Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
``Technology scares some people it's a fear of the unknown,'' parent Mary Brower told the newspaper before the meeting. ``Any kind of new technology has the potential for misuse, but I feel confident the school is not going to misuse it.''
The superintendent does not deserve this woman's trust.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.