FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Indian cooking help: Now with pictures! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Indian cooking help: Now with pictures!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Me, too. You can even make them with low-fat yogurt. [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, did you ever cook that Indian? How did he or she turn out? [Wink] [Wink]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
The spices arrived! The ones KQ sent me are here, and it's so exciting! I've entered them all into an Excel file and saved it and I'm going through them and yay! Now I have to buy some cooking equipment (not much) and find some time ASAP! [Party]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You entered the spices into an Excel file? Why would you do that? [Razz]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Wasn't that a good lot of spices for $25, though? I love my spice sources. [Cool]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I used some garam masala tonight, and quidscribis, you were right. Curry powder is nowhere in the ingredients, and it doesn't smell or taste like curry. I don't know why I was under that impression. [Dont Know]

Hey, Hobbes, have you used any of those spices yet? [Big Grin]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, kq, I'm glad you had a positive garam masala experience. [Smile] Just cuz I don't wanna get skanky and say "I told ya so." Nope, don't wanna do that. [Big Grin]

Hobbes, you lucky boy. How's the Indian cooking going?

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quidscribis, if you say "I told you so", I won't send you chocolate and tahini. (Which I will eventually get around to; how's the post office working there?)
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
quid, I know I'm a little slow, but on those Butter Chicken recipes on page 1, the first recipe: is it spicy hot with those two chili peppers in it? It sounds wonderful, but I'm a little leary of putting chili peppers in it. You've tasted Mexican food in Bellingham -- it's so mild I've lost all my Denver Mexican food spice callouses on my tongue. Plus my kids have to eat what I fix and they won't eat it if it's too spicy.

I made slow cooker chicken curry earlier this week and it turned out excellent. I was just sorry I didn't have time to make naan. I want to try making it sometime. My mother came over and attempted something approximating roti. My kids liked it much better than the curry. [Razz]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I would just like to say that my 10-month-old ate a full half a cup of the spicy lentils and rice I fixed tonight. [Razz]

It may have to do with all the Indian food I ate while pregnant; I've read that strong flavors can flavor amniotic fluid. I'm so glad my family will eat spicy Indian flavors with me. [Smile]

[ February 24, 2005, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

I made my second dish tonight. [Smile] I'm not sure what it's called, I kind of improvised and combined, but it was chicken in a yogurt marinade with a variety of spices, plus some fryed Naan. It was most excellent, things are going great!

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

The spices I've used are: Turmeric, ginger, Chile powder, pepper, salt, garlic, garam masala, corriander, and others that I don't remember.

Hobbes [Smile]

[ February 24, 2005, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ, but I didn't say "I told you so." I didn't. Really, I didn't. [Evil] Post office is working like normal. Pretty much everything here is. I mean, if I didn't know the tsunami had happened, I wouldn't know it from going out and about. Everything is business as usual.

quote:
it's so mild I've lost all my Denver Mexican food spice callouses on my tongue.
[ROFL] Jeniwren, that's the best description yet!

Two chillies being hot will depend on the chillies and on the tastebuds. I can't really say. I mean, if you were using unripe jalapenos, no way, at least not to me. But then, I could add ten of our chillies and it still wouldn't be hot. Um, I'm a freak of nature - nothing is hot to me. When Fahim and I eat out here, we ask for as hot as possible, and they're always stunned that a. I can eat it and b. that it's not hot to me. At all. I honestly can't tell when something is hot.

I think the best thing to do really would be to buy a couple of green chillies, chop off a tiny bit, and taste it. Alternately, use milder chillies or omit them altogether. There's no problem being flexible.

Do you have a good naan recipe? If you don't, let me know. I have one that is fabulous.
quote:
I would just like to say that my 10-month-old ate a full half a cup of the spicy lentils and rice I fixed tonight.

It may have to do with all the Indian food I ate while pregnant; I've read that strong flavors can flavor amniotic fluid. I'm so glad my family will eat spicy Indian flavors with me

I wouldn't be at all surprised. After all, kids here start eating curries at a young age.

I miss Mexican food. [Cry] We can get salsa here - was I ever surprised when I saw that! But tortilla chips? Nope. Soft taco shells, yes, surprisingly. Huh. What the heck is my problem? I'm going to do it - next time we go shopping!

But the biggest problem here is the cheese. Not many varieties, and those that do exist are so wet that they don't grate very well. At all. They end up resembling a sodden mass of processed goo. Ick! [Grumble]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Hobbesey! That's most excellent! I'm glad it turned out so well. [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hmmm. What are you allowed and not allowed to send from the US, do you know? Are there rules on what kinds of food products can get there?
quidscribis
Member # 5124

No idea. Chocolate makes it in perfectly fine, as do other forms of candy. With the huge provision that "Candy" or "Chocolate" is NOT written on the outside of the box - that just guarantees that someone will steal the box or open it and steal the contents. Um, I have friends who've received care packages with soup, pasta, cake mixes, spices, and all sorts of other things in it, so I'm guessing there isn't really much of a limit, except perishables, but those are generally not a good idea to send, anyway.

If anything edible is sent, say "Food" or "Gifts" on the outside - NEVER EVER EVER say "Candy" or "Chocolate". EVER. [Big Grin]

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I want the naan recipe!

We have a new stove with a special pizza stone and setting - I have a suspicion it will make *great* naan (and other breads) as well.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

- posted      Profile for Lisha-princess   Email Lisha-princess         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey ketchupqueen--

I would just like to personally thank you for helping make my wonderful meal with Hobbes tonight possible. You're the best!

Posts: 119 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yes, I want this wonderful naan recipe as well. I'm not good with breads generally, but naan seems easy enough, and it doesn't matter if it's flat. [Big Grin]

We got a pizza stone for a wedding gift. I opened it up and said, "Great! Now I can make naan!" My mother-in-law said, "...Or pizza." I said, "I don't really like home-made pizza, but I love naan..." [ROFL]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm glad that worked out for you, Lisha. [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, is he sealing up his spices properly? [Razz]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I posted it over at that other site. Enjoy!
Hobbes
Member # 433

quote:
Oh, is he sealing up his spices properly?
I totally am! I'm using the method you described, but I still am not doing it perfectly. With patience comes true learning. [Smile]

Wow, umm, I kind of changede the recipe in the book and instead of using the oven (like you're supposed to) I fry them. I'll post the recipe and link it here. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Hobbes's Naan recipe, I just made a batch for my roomates and guest and they all enjoyed it. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Curious: how does it say to bake it in the oven, Hobbes?
Hobbes
Member # 433

Umm, basically stick it on a cookie sheet and then 375 for 10 minutes.

Hobbes [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, quidscribis, I thought of you at the grocery store the other day. I was looking at the Indian food and Middle Eastern food sections, and I found tahini in a plastic jar (non-breakable is good!)

Would it be more or less likely to get through if I declared the contents as "supplementary nutritional materials"? [Evil]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Noooo! That makes it sound expensive!!!! I'd be charged more for sure. Calling it "food" is much better.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay. "Food" it will be. [Smile]
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a good Garlic and Coriander Naan recipe.. I'll have to post it on the recipe site once I'm home (currently at work). The dough can be easily assembled in a bread maker (if you have one) and then you roll out the individual Naan and quick cook it under the broiler. Very eay and very good. Especially with some nice Balti Chicken Madras.
Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Mmmmmmmm. Garlic and cilantro naan. Mmmmmmm.

I think you can make those variations with any naan recipe. My original recipe called for garlic as optional, for example.

I need to get me some Indian food really really soon. Parathas. Mutton Pepper Soup. Butter Chicken. Those spicy cauliflower thingies. . .

*drool*

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Those spicy cauliflower thingies. . .

Which ones? The fried ones, or aloo gobhi? *drools over both*
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Aloo Ghobi. Yum!!!! Tamatje, the Indian restaurant down the road, makes it most excellently! We get takeout from there about, oh, once a month, maybe more. Probably more. [Big Grin] *drools*
Hobbes
Member # 433

I went to the market today and picked up some stuff. Mortar and pestle for example. And it's incredibly close, I had no problem walking back with 20 pounds of rice. [Smile]

They do seem to have all the necessary spices, but they are much more expensive than the ones KQ sent me. Are the spices you sent me KQ, twice as cheap as normal, or are these very expensive?

Hobbes [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

The ones I sent are much, much cheaper than is normal. I'm rather proud of myself for figuring out where to find them at those prices. [Smile] (It's certainly made my husband's life better.)

[ February 26, 2005, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Well, we ordered take away from Tamatje last night, and they've gone the way of the typical Sri Lankan restaurant.

Excellent for the first few months, then cut corners trying to make more money, until the menu turns into tasteless and not very good.

It's all so sad. It started out excellently. The food was incredible. Now, we're at the point of "nope, never again."

I hate that.

Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ, I'm dying to know your spice source(s) :
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Sure! For most basic spices and spices used in Mexican food, the cheapest place is Sack and Save. You can get whole cloves, for instance, for 79 cents per 1/2 oz. (as opposed to $7.99 for 1 oz. in the McCormick's bottle). At the Sack and Save near us, at least, spices are at the end of an aisle right near the produce. (They have an aisle with the expensive spices; you don't want that. You want the spot with all the Mexican brand and store brand spices in little bags.) For everything I can't find there, I go to World of Spices, which is a little grocery shop/ Halal butcher shop at the corner of Buckingham and Audelia. (It was walking distance from our old apartment, that's how I found it.) It's so much fun to get spices really cheap. [Big Grin]

[ February 28, 2005, 01:01 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, thanks. I love Sack & Save, it's my grocery store. I'm going to have to check out the other store someday when I'm in that part of town. [Smile]
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I used to love Sack and Save until I found out that Fiesta carries more specialty foods I love, has overall cheaper prices, better produce (at least the one here does compared to the S&S here), and besides, it's walking distance from our new apartment (less than 1/2 a mile). [Smile] I still go there for spices and the occasional sale, though.
Hobbes
Member # 433

Pictures of food [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Hobbesey! You did good!
Hobbes
Member # 433

[Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Man, now I'm hungry.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... that looks grand! I think the rice is the prettiest part.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Wow, that looks great! Nice captions, too. [Razz]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.