FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatracks in Salisbury, Maryland, USA

Author Topic: Hatracks in Salisbury, Maryland, USA
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there is a strong possibility that I will be moving to the Salisbury, Maryland area.

What I'm wondering, as I've never lived in that part of the country before, is what's it like?

What's the housing situation like?
What's the standard living expenses like for a single person living alone with no pets?
Where are the best restaurants?
Where are the best places to go camping or picnicking and stuff?
What's the gaming community like? Of in other words the game conventions and stuff.
Are they any really good heath food stores in the area?
Are there places I can buy fresh goat milk?

etc...

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve got some friends that live a little north of there. They seem to like it well enough and say they’re just enough out of the way of the DC and Philly mess to like it. When I visited it seemed the same ol type of just outside of the metro living.
I can no way answer your more specific questions for the area.
Looks like a nice area though and close to the ocean should make it fun!

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
There are lots and lots of industrial chicken farms out in that region, which you can smell a mile away.

When I drove through the area that one memorable time, the whole eastern shore seemed fairly sleepy.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I haven't been to the Eastern Shore in a long, long time. A former governor of Maryland once caused a controversy by declaring the Eastern Shore to be the "outhouse of Maryland." Don't worry, though, it's not that bad.

Living costs there are lower than in most of the rest of Maryland. The parts of Maryland where I grew up (the central, highly suburbanized areas close to Baltimore and DC) are very expensive, so when I say Salisbury's less expensive, you may want to take that with a grain of salt.

For me the biggest drawbacks to living on the Eastern Shore would be the chicken farms (Purdue and Tyson both have major facilities there and their run-off was linked to pfiesteria outbreaks in the Bay that happened several years ago). Also, because of the geography of the Bay and the Eastern Shore, it can be a pain to get anywhere. You either have to use the Bay Bridge, which can get horrible backups, or you have to drive up and around the Bay.

Btw - it looks like The Daily Press is the Salisbury paper.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

So, I guess I'm going to be a bit isolated out there? Miles and miles from other Hatrackers.

Sort of like I am now, here in Smithfield, Utah?

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Steev, you're only as isolated as you think you are. Take me, for example. I feel really isolated from civilization . . . Wait. . . Um, I'm confused.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

I think I'm isolated.

Nothing like the isolation of living in a foreign country but isolated nonetheless.

And I don’t mean isolated from civilization. I mean isolated from people I know. Granted, that type of isolation won't last that long but I will still be isolated from family which can be both good and bad.

Civilization is just a red herring. [Big Grin]

[ February 13, 2005, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Steev ]

Steev
Member # 6805

Ok, so I just got back from visiting the area.

I spent most of the time in the Pocomoke, MD and Chincoteague, VA areas.

Quite the tourest trap. Not much going on in the winter but they say the summer gets really busy.

And the cost of living is still rather low. But there was a 60% increase in housing this last year. But despite that it's still cheaper that where I'm currently living.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.