FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » In Search of Monsters

Author Topic: In Search of Monsters
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
We're watching Meet the Press this morning, and they've got the author of "The Case for Democracy" on talking about Bush's apparent plan to impose democracy on the Middle East.

At one point, someone mentioned a quote from John Quincy Adams:

quote:
"[America] goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
This is an ideal that I have always been immensely proud to be a part of. I am saddened to see it so quickly forgotten.
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, unless you're communist, anyway. Or evil.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
America was an isolationist nation for a long time. That's not in question. And I think most historians would agree that for much of our existence, we had an excuse--we weren't powerful enough to get involved in the affairs of the European empires; we'd have been creamed.

Now that America is powerful, we have a responsibility to do good in the world beyond our borders. It's just a question of how.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure that I agree we have a responsibility to help less powerful nations, but I do believe that we should help when we can.

While I know that a lot of what we're doing in the Middle East now is under the banner of goodwill; helping those poor stupid Iraqis discover that our way of doing things is so much better than theirs, it's getting harder and harder to argue that what we're doing isn't imperialism.

How many Iranians are we going to have to kill before they figure out how superior we are?

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.