FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Still sick . . . advice?

Author Topic: Still sick . . . advice?
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
About four weeks ago, I started feeling like I was coming down with a cold. At the onset of illness, my body usually reacts by devoting most of my energy to fighting the infection so I don't actually get sick. I have a pretty good immune system, and this usually works. I often feel almost sick for a day or two and have no energy, and then I'm fine. I expected this thing to do the same. I had the hint of a sore throat and I was a little bit congested--nothing to worry about, really. As usual, I had no energy, but it was the long weekend, so I rested a lot, hoping I wouldn't actually get all the way sick.

Four weeks later I feel exactly the same way I did then, pretty much. Some days are better than others, but I usually have no energy (main symptom), along with a VERY mild sore throat and a little congestion.

Two weeks ago I finally gave up and went to the doctor. I figured I would be told there was nothing to do about what I had, and I was right. I was tested for Strep, just in case, and I don't have that. The doctor also asked me about nearly every symptom imaginable. I have no pain in my sinuses or lymph nodes, no problems with my ears, no weight gain or loss, no body aches or pains, no fever, and so on. He even looked at my hands for signs of something . . . don't remember what.

But to me, four weeks is too long for your average bug to hang around. I haven't been overdoing anything. I've taken off some work and some school, I spend every weekend doing practically nothing, I'm sleeping at least 8 hours every single night, and I often get more than that.

Any ideas what I might have? At what point should I go back to the doctor?

I'm tired of being sick. [Frown]

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you seen an allergist?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
No. It had actually occurred to me that I might be allergic to something--and to my doctor too, actually. He suggested I try going off dairy for a month and see how it goes. I've been off dairy (mostly) for two weeks now. I miss ice cream terribly, and I'm not getting much better!
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
What you're describing sounds like what happens to me when seasonal allergies hit. Perhaps you should take some Claratin (actually, I use Allavert-- cheaper and tastes better to me).
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

The problem is, I have an odd reaction to allergy meds and decongestants. I feel simultaneously wired (jittery) and fatigued. It's so bad that I usually would rather suffer from allergies than take medicine for them.
Brinestone
Member # 5755

*bump*
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Brinestone, I got sick during Christmas break (when I was in Utah), and I didn't get better until the end of January with exactly those symptoms. My baby brother has that now - he's been sniffling and coughing for two weeks now.

Drink lots of water, take drugs when you can, wash hands constantly, and rest as much as you can - you won't get better faster, but you'll feel better in the meantime.

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

I'm sorry to hear that, kat, but in a way, I'm also relieved to hear that I might still just have a long-lived flu or cold.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Brinestone, it seems like so many people have endless bugs like this. Keep checking in with the doctor regularly, if it is not getting better. Most important" rest. Don't push yourself too hard.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Brinestone, I was sick for weeks and weeks with this crud too. No energy, sniffly, general blahness. I did have a round of antibiotics for broncitis. But mostly, it was a general blah yuck, don't have any energy type of thing.

And I was congested in both head and chest. After 6 weeks, I started to get better, and feel mostly 100% except for the occasional day when I get wheezy and feel like I have broncitis again. It comes and goes.

Hope you feel better soon.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Stop snorting cocaine, Ruth!
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

I can't!
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been feeling like that for a couple of weeks. Not that it helps.

But I hope you get better, if that helps.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.