FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Interesting article from the Science section

Author Topic: Interesting article from the Science section
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/15/science/15nean.html?8hpib

(note: you may have to log in.)

This article was very interesting to me and I wanted to share it. The upshot is that some scientists think that Neanderthals, a distant relative of humans, may have co-existed with and mated with modern humans in Europe in the very old days. It's also an insight into how slippery the idea of evolution can become.

My favorite part of this article is the carefully posed question: "Is there any evidence that Europeans today carry some Neanderthal genes?"

I'm not touching that one with a ten foot pole.

Best Regards,

Bunbun

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure any European answer to that question will result in a discussion on the migratory nature of Neanderthal's and the idea that if there were any European Neanderthal genes, they emigrated to America.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought they were all in the Neanderlands.

Or are you saying they are really Meanderthals?

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Is there any evidence that Europeans today carry some Neanderthal genes?"

*shocked at the suggestion of such sceanderlous behavior*
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

More importantly, how will the Europeans react? Do you think the fuss'll interfere will make them cave on important issues?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Dag,

It's just a matter of time. The drawing's on the wall.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It does explain those flinty upper crust Europeans.
sndrake
Member # 4941

Dag,

I think you should be more magnonimous, or you might end up eating cro.

("eating cro" AKA "hominid grits")

John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
All you guys... can't take anything seriously.

Thanks, bunny, for the missing link.

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Are you telling me to Chauvet?
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Lascaux, let's take it outside.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

[Eek!]

Displays of homo erectusic art!

*shocked*

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Click here to see my response.
sndrake
Member # 4941

Click where???? [Dont Know]

*another missing link - either a mistake or the subtlest pun encountered on this board in many a month*

[ February 15, 2005, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

[Big Grin]
sndrake
Member # 4941

[Mad]

::shakes crude chipped-flint implement on a stick in Dag's direction::

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I wouldn't make a habilis of that, just because I made a monkey of you.
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
John, Dag, no need to fight. You guys should calm down, take a Piltdown--I mean a Miltown

Bunbun, this lice genetics study came out recently: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/10/041005075751.htm
It claims that lice genetics show that h. sapiens and other extinct hominids, including Neanderthals, interacted (fought? mated? lived in the same communities?) as recently as 25,000 years ago.

I posted it in the "I wonder if they had unusually hairy feet?" thread, which was about the recently unearthed "hobbits" found in Indonesia.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
As an European, i am not shocked by the idea of having some Néanderthal genes, but i am not sure it can be. Becaus we have more difference in the genetic code than with the chimpanze. So, union between male and female af this two species is certainly sterile.

Don't forget Néanderthal is not the only contemporary man of Homo sapiens sapiens. There is also the Pekin's man for exemple.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

Cool, Morbo. Thanks for the link. I've been used to thinking about evolution in terms of those nicely organized charts. The lice study paints a much more interesting picture, doesn't it?

Honestly, though, I've been stunned at the level of vitroll this thread has inspired. My husband, Dagonee, a very laid back dude, has been told to Chauvet. The artefact is that I didn't mean for any one to get afarensis about it, but it appears I've caused a rift.

Mea culpa.

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

[Kiss] bunbun
bunbun
Member # 6814

Yay! [Blushing]
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Auel be damned! I guess Neanderthals and Homo Sapiens can...

Oh never mind.

[Big Grin]

[ February 15, 2005, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

Clan you believe it?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Neanderthals: The punultimate step in human evolution!
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Choobak, it's worth keeping in mind that not all gene sequences have any phenotypic expression. A great deal of DNA appears to have no specific use. Hypothetically, one could imagine two beings whose "junk DNA" was entirely different, leading to a vast difference between their two genetic codes--yet all their expressed DNA was the same.

Also, I should point out (at the risk of saying something squicky) that we do not really know for certain that we can't interbreed with chimps. (To the best of my knowledge of current research.) Unsurprisingly, few experiments along these lines have been performed.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
But chimpanzees have a different number of chromosomes than humans, 48 to our 46. I don't believe cross-breeding would be possible without genetic manipulation.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

Re: Junk DNA--I had heard recently that not all junk's created equal. See http://www.sciencentral.com/articles/view.php3?type=article&article_id=218392305
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
we do not really know for certain that we can't interbreed with chimps.
Oh, believe me. I know.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

[Angst]
Mabus
Member # 6320

I would think you are right, Rivka....nonetheless I recall seeing articles somewhere about cross-fertilization. Regrettably I do not remember where or how old they were.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Bun-bun, cute story on your homepage of meeting and courting Dag. Or vice-versa.
I think a lot of junk DNA has undiscovered purpose.
Labeling it junk just means we haven't discovered the meaning yet.

[ February 15, 2005, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Human sperm can fertilize hamster eggs too. Fertilization merely requires compatible enzymes, I think. (BtL?)

It's whether there is continued viability -- even to the early blastocyst stages -- that I doubt.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

The one on the front page is my sister and her fiance. This one is ours. I couldn't tell which one you looked at.

Dagonee

Mabus
Member # 6320

*nod* I'm aware of that, rivka. Perhaps "fertilization studies" was not the right term to use. I recall only that the articles were on the possibility of human-chimp interbreeding, and that I think they were relatively recent and in favor (in the sense of it being possible, of course--not desirable).
bunbun
Member # 6814

Dagonee was remarkably cooperative, I must say, and lucky for me!

The Haussler article is relatively recent, though. I think UCSC's taken concrete steps towards getting past the idea that non-protein generating sequences automatically means "junk." I've been working as a contract manager for a research organization, and the Haussler article was a really big deal this past spring.

[ February 15, 2005, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: bunbun ]

rivka
Member # 4859

>_<

The last two posts just should not be adjacent.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That has got to be one of the funniest things I have seen on the web..... [Big Grin] [ROFL]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

Owie--
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
The last two posts just should not be adjacent.
[ROFL]

Kwea, what were you referring to as the funniest - there's a lot of candidates in the last few posts. [Smile]

Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
from the article
quote:
the dwindling Neanderthal population was replaced forever by the intruding modern humans.
No, they just moved to England that's all.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Dag, you're right, I saw your sister's page. Your's is cool too though
quote:
After several emails from Rob that convinced Eve that Rob was clueless, Eve sent an Explicit Email
My kinda girl.
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Must... answer... question... sleep... later...

The Zona Pellucida is a protein that coats egg cells and prevents sperm from another species from penetrating and donating their DNA to initiate meiosis (While ZP1, ZP2 and ZP3 classes of proteins are common to all mammals, the specific structures are species dependent). This can, however, be removed chemically and then it's open season on egg fertilization, come hamsters, humans, or what have you. Hamster eggs are most often used because they're both well studied and easily harvested. Whether they're easily harvested because they're well studied or vice versa I don't know.

Insert clever pun here -----> <------

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.