FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The ADD thread

Author Topic: The ADD thread
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm bored with everything else...but they were other peoples threads. I have no one to blame if my own thread can't keep me occupied, I mean, this is my thre...hey look, a bird...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I like chocolate. Do you think there's a chance I'll get some in my Easter basket this year? I wonder where it is? Hey, look, my daughter's learned to spin in the Exersaucer!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my.....

Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) is a fake disease

Great…. Now what can I blame it on?

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I've lost my tinfoil hat! [Eek!]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, I am ADD enough that I cannot convincingly fake it...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought it was so ironic that we spend years getting kids to sit still and listen, and to focus on one thing. Then, in adulthood we expect them to have a job, a family, go to the gym, make a healthy meal, and have a bunch of hobbies.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

I think ADD is definitely over-diagnosed.

I want chocolate in an easter basket. Maybe my wife or daughters will get me some...Mmmmm chocolate bunnies...

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] THT

You made me laugh.

In my family (myself and my kids) we have this standing joke (based on a past experience) that anytime a subject comes up that we don't want to talk about, we suddenly say, "Look! A Tree!"

and everyone cracks up.

So your top post made me smile.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Thanks FG. With me it's ususually a bird or a squirrel. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Or a chocolate bunny...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you hear the joke about the guy with ADD?

Let's go race dirt bikes.

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
ADD is definately over diagnosed, and ritalin(sp?) is way way way over prescribed. It probably is a real disease for some people, but people do have varying attention spans, and just becuase someone has an unusually short one doesn't mean they have ADD necesarily and need ritalin. And I mean it reall... I wonder what this thingy does? ...y rather frustrates me that people just can't seem to... oh I see now, thats rather cool ...realize this.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
Fusiachi, that joke cracked me up!
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I read an article about TV causing ADD, something about the fact that we plunk kids down to watch TV shows which are interrupted every five or six minutes by thirty second commercials. It teaches them that if they wait a few minutes they'll be watching something else, and they never learn to focus, wheras before TV you had to get through a whole book before you changed your attention to another one.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a great deal of ADD is a result of a society that forces us to learn and work in unnaturally sedentary situations. People- children and adults- were not meant to spend 6-8 hours a day sitting on our butts.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter
Member # 4373

- posted      Profile for Peter   Email Peter         Edit/Delete Post 
i really think ADD is more of a fad that keeps people froming having to pay attention. whats next narcolepsy? zzzzzzzzzzzzz................
Posts: 283 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
One of the reasons baseball is among the few sports I will actually watch is that it's great for short attention spans. You can stop paying attention for five minutes or so and really not miss that much. My family always laughs at me when we go to games because I'll space out for a while and then suddenly wake up and ask, "What happened?" [Razz]

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that fish oil was really good for helping with ADD.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I kind of blame television for all this ADD... Kids see so much TV at a young age, the commercials always spewing out this information in one go so quickly... then Seasame Street the subject changes every few seconds...

The kids get used to things going so quickly that when they get into something slower paced like reading and school, they can't focus.

There's my two cents...

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I watched tv as a kid; not a lot, but some. I don't have ADD. I function on a very high level, in fact (not bragging, they tested me many times as a child). I do enjoy reading more than one book at once, but that's because I'm too lazy to carry books from one room to another (unless I'm really involved in them). I know there have been studies linking tv to ADD, but I think "all things in moderation" should apply here.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man... I had to listen to an argument about this earlier this week. It drove my ADD friend who was also listening in completely nuts. She didn't watch very much TV as a kid, and she didn't think that the disease was socially created.

She was very very mad.

I personally think that if a lot of TV at a young age causes ADD, I would definitely have it, since I watched a ridiculous amount of TV as a youth. However, as far as I know, I don't. Though I might seem as though I'm not paying attention all the time, I am usually quite aware of what's going on around me.

[ February 16, 2005, 01:57 AM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I personally think that if a lot of TV at a young age causes ADD, I would definitely have it, since I watched a ridiculous amount of TV as a youth. However, as far as I know, I don't. Though I might seem as though I'm not paying attention all the time, I am usually quite aware of what's going on around me.

ditto.
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That is faulty logic...it is like saying "If second hand smoke causes cancers, I would be dead..so that must be wrong.".

You can;t extrapolate from just your won experiences.

Or it could be a contributing factor, or a trigger to an inherited condition.....

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
I have ADD! [The Wave]

Or I used to have it anyway. Up until 4th grade I just couldn't pay attention to anything. I wasn't a crazy kid(actually very shy), but I just couldn't focus on homework and other stuff. I managed to get away with not doing around 10 spelling chapters in 3rd grade until I got caught(No recess for me for awhile!).

In 4th grade I started getting angry with family members for no reason at all really(I yelled at my nana to shut up cause she told me to get my laundry and bring it to her [Dont Know] ) . And that sparked my mom to get me tested. The tests were sooo confusing, but I guess that's the point. Apparently the getting mad at my family had something to do with my ADD. Soooo I started taking ritalin and ended up doing much better in school. I went from being one of the super stupid people in my class to super smart! [Cool] Ended up getting into cognetics and such.

I took ritalin up until 8th grade I think. Then switched over to addoral(spelling is wrong I think). I took that through high school and did ok(did great in math), and throughout high school I started taking less and less and did fine. Now I'm in college and doing ok without it, I guess everyone sort of grows out of it after awhile.

ADD certainly is a real problem though, although I also think it's being thrown around out there a bit too much. I dunno.

My brother as ADHD. He's in 4th grade and has been doing great since he started taking medicine for it.

So uhhhh, yeah, good old ADD. [Smile]

Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

What makes the tv idea so ridiculous is that most kids with a serious case of AD/HD can sit still in front of the tv for a long time, and can focus on computer games for hours.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psycho Triad
Member # 3331

- posted      Profile for Psycho Triad   Email Psycho Triad         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason ADD and all its arguements get me easily aggitated. I have ADD.

• Its not a disease. Its a chemical imbalance, or at worst, a disorder.
  • It isn't caused by anything like Tv, but yes those things do make symptoms in some children worse.
  • ADD isn't just a problem @ school, nor is it a problem for children only.
  • There are plenty of children with just plain poor attention spans. Its part of a different disorder called "childhood."
  • Drugs are not a fix for ADD. Sure they help. The true fix is learning those oh-so-important coping mechanisms. Like training yourself to read fast moving print, your brain can be trained. You just may need some help finding out how to do it. (this is what happens when people seemingly "grow out of it" chemical imbalance is still there, they just have learned to deal with it.
  • I just got distracted from my list, and forgot where i was going with it. Woops.
There are plenty of very informational, educational, and unbiased sources out there about ADD, but being such a new field of study with sciences that have yet to be perfected (brain chemical analysis, etc) it's not yet abundant. OH! and...
*Its not the child's fault. A lot of people seem to get this impression. Oops. Do we blame (i know this isn't best example) OCD patients for their symptoms? Because a lot of people blame Timmy when he can't focus on anything, be it school or anything.

[/rant]

[ February 16, 2005, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: Psycho Triad ]

Posts: 271 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psycho Triad
Member # 3331

- posted      Profile for Psycho Triad   Email Psycho Triad         Edit/Delete Post 
And btw. don't let me kill this thread.

Thanks. [Smile]

Posts: 271 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Timmy!!! Timmy!!! Timmy!!!TIMMY!!!!
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Sorry...I got a bit sidetracked...we tracked a deer once, through the woods. Not the hundred acre woods, with Pooh, Tigger, and Rabbit, but boy do I like rabbit! It's a little gamey, but I like games. Yeah!!! GTA San Andreas!! Whooo, boy, I'd hate to live near the San Andreas fault. And, by the way, it's not my fault that I can't concentrate...but you know what happens when you get sidetracked...
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Ken. Folks don't "grow" out of it, but learn the coping skills necessary to function without medication. However, with children, the use of medication plus learning coping skills is believe d to remap the brain and adjust the chemicals to wha t they "should" so that medication is no longer needed.

Other times, despite having all the coping skills necessary, medication is still needed. This often happens with adult ADHD.

What Liz said is also true. Hyperfocusing is a symptom for ADHD. This situation is when folks with ADHD focus absolutely on one thing and ignore everything else around them for long periods of time. It's amazing to watch.

Is ADHD overdiagnosed? Yup.

Are ADHD medications overprescribed? Sure.

However, that doesn't negate continuing to diagnose and treat ADHD. It's a real illness with real impact on the lives of people, both the person with the illness and those around them.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
This guy has a theory that ADD/ADHD is not really a disorder at all. Instead, he purports that those whose brains function that way are really "hunters in a farmers' world".

Hmmm...

Should I shoot the birdie or the chocolate bunny?

Ohh...lookie! A nice paper target just begging for holes!

I need to go shopping. (It's all about the hunt, after all!)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

If I'm a hunter in a farmer's world, that could explain why I fence. [Big Grin]

Actually, my clubmates have figured out that if they talk to me during a bout, I don't fence as well as I normally do. Because it's distracting. *kicks them*

Boon
unregistered

No, really...does this sound like you? 'Cause it sure sounds like my son. And me.
mackillian
Member # 586

Actually, it does. It illustrates some of the differences between me and Nathan, even when we play silly games together, like Halo 2. I can notice the smallest movement of something. I assume Nathan saw it. Then he gets killed by the person I just saw.

"Didn't you see him?"

"See who?"

O_o

I make quick decisions. Nathan does not, he mulls things over for a long time. I get impatient.

Hell, even when doing math. I took all sorts of higher level math courses in high school (I was on the math team. I know, shocking, since I hate math). Anyway, my teachers were constantly stymied because I could do the higher level stuff in calculus, they'd check my work, and I'd get the answer wrong because I added two and two and got five.

However, I will be the first to admit that I function much better when I'm taking the medications I am prescribed. I just got switched from Ritalin LA to Concerta and then to Adderall (long story). Anyrate, the Adderall makes a huge difference. I can concentrate better during the day, am able to sit through class or through a boring reading session for my classes or my job, or able to work on projects at home and elsewhere without rapidly losing my temper. And for some reason at night, once the Adderall wears off, I crash into sleepiness. Not to say I don't get sleepy during the day. In fact, if I didn't sleep well the night before, even if I've taken Adderall, I'm capable of naps. Mmmmm...naps. Folks without ADHD who have taken a stimulant such as Adderall (or even caffiene) would be jittery and fully awake and not sleepy at all. If I've taken the Adderall, I sleep well that night. But if I hadn't taken the adderall, I tend to wake up constantly. I'm not sure why that is.

Boon
unregistered

Well, running with the hunter analogy, maybe it has something to do with needing to be aware of your surroundings even at night. Maybe little sounds wake you up...or changes in barometric pressure, or the electrical fields generated by your refrigerator, or...

And as for the math...you can see the big picture and enjoy the challenge of the hard stuff but somehow the easy stuff isn't really worth paying attention to?

mackillian
Member # 586

I'm guessing. o_O
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I have ADD too... it sucks!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Blah. The word Adderal makes me think of my roommate's insanely screwed up friend who used to sell her ADD drugs out the back door during finals... :/
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not to say I don't get sleepy during the day. In fact, if I didn't sleep well the night before, even if I've taken Adderall, I'm capable of naps. Mmmmm...naps. Folks without ADHD who have taken a stimulant such as Adderall (or even caffiene) would be jittery and fully awake and not sleepy at all. If I've taken the Adderall, I sleep well that night. But if I hadn't taken the adderall, I tend to wake up constantly. I'm not sure why that is.
[Eek!] I could have written that. [Eek!]

That is exactly my situation on Adderall too. And my doctor told me the same thing - the very fact that Adderall made me sleep better was all the confirmation she needed that I did in fact have ADD.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Boon, I love that theory. There is a Native American woman who lectured around here once, and my friend got me some info. Now i cannot remember her name.

Anyway, it is sort of what I was saying about the hypocritical expectations of our society. Children: sit still, listen. Adults: never stop moving.

There is also a theory that the US and Australia have a higher percentage of ADD folks because the societies were built by people who were either adventurous, rebellious, or naughty.

mackillian
Member # 586

Or all of the above, Liz.

Belle, don't you just LOVE that good night's sleep?

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
What is this thread about? The shiny object on the ground distracted me......oh yes its about............kiwi.......I like kiwi its tasty........ [Big Grin]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
What is this thread about? The shiny object on the ground distracted me......oh yes its about............kiwi.......I like kiwi its tasty........ [Big Grin]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
I self medicate with coffee. Much tastier than Ritalin.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not think it is the ADD that makes one sleep soundly after coming down from a stimulant. The same thing happens to me whenever I crash from amphetamine, methylphenidate, etc.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Many people with ADD can sleep while ON the stimulant. Concerta made me sleepy as all get-out.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.