FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Woman Overstays Hospital Stay by a Year

Author Topic: Woman Overstays Hospital Stay by a Year
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me first say I love the ederly.
quote:
More than a year after Sarah Nome was deemed healthy and given her discharge papers, the 82-year-old woman stubbornly refuses to leave her hospital bed.

Nome admits there is no reason she should be racking up unpaid medical bills — which have now topped $1 million — but says she has nowhere else to turn.

Now Kaiser Permanente's San Rafael Medical Center in California is suing her for the cost of her stay and trying to show her the door.

"The thing is, I have no medical problem. I've been here more than a year, never had any medication, never had any treatment, never had a fever, have a perfect heart, blood pressure is like a teenager," Nome said in a telephone interview from the hospital north of San Francisco. "It isn't that I'm not ready to go. I just have nowhere to go."

Exasperated hospital officials persuaded a judge to approve her eviction. But because Nome is bedridden and cannot walk, they have no intention of wheeling her onto the street. Instead, they hope the ruling encourages her to pack her bags.

"We're really not interested in her money," Kaiser attorney Stanley Watson said. "We just want her cooperation."

Nome's troubles began, her daughter Jane Sands says, in 2002 when she broke both her legs while living alone. After several operations, Nome could no longer care for herself and was admitted to the first of several nursing homes.

The most recent one, Nome claims, sent her to the hospital against her will. Hospital officials say she was admitted for a weeklong psychiatric evaluation, was deemed to be in good mental health, was then ordered released.

But because she is suing the nursing homes where she lived before she was hospitalized, Nome and her daughter claim she has no choice but to stay put. Nome is suing the last home she lived in, Greenbrae Care Center, for sending her to the hospital.

Watson said hospital officials have tried to find a suitable home for Nome, but Nome and her daughter insist on staying in Marin County, where Nome has spent her entire life.

That puts Kaiser in a difficult position, given Nome's bedridden state.

"If a patient were ambulatory, you could simply discharge them and say, `Have a nice day,'" Watson said. "But I can assure you that we don't plan on having the sheriff come in and physically remove her and put her on the street."

Greenbrae will not take Nome back because she is suing the nursing home, said Bob Peirce, chief operating officer of Ocadian Hospitals and Care Centers, which runs the center.

"She's suing us, and we obviously feel very strongly that she has no case," Peirce said.

Anthony Wright, executive director of the health care advocacy group Health Access California, said Nome's situation highlights a larger, nationwide problem.

"This issue is becoming more and more contentious because ... we don't have a long-term care policy in this country, so there is no set way that we take care of seniors who need ongoing care," he said.

Meanwhile, Nome remains in her hospital gown. She said the doctors and nurses "couldn't be finer," but she has missed the news since her television and newspaper privileges were taken away. "I think Bush might still be president," she quipped.

She passes the time by reading in bed and gazing out the window.

Is it me oo is this story strange? She has a daughter, why doesn't she stay with her?
I got the story from here

Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Her daughter is none too young herself, neh? She may not be able to offer the type of care that the woman needs. [Dont Know]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If the woman can't take care of her own needs, and the daughter is single and works, I can understand that. Also, it's Marin Co. She may be in a teeny one-room because that's all she can afford and still pay for her mother's care; that really doesn't leave much room for an extra person in a hospital bed.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be ok with that execpt for one small problem.
quote:
Watson said hospital officials have tried to find a suitable home for Nome, but Nome and her daughter insist on staying in Marin County, where Nome has spent her entire life.

How much of Marin county does she see from a hospital bed anyway?

[ February 17, 2005, 02:35 AM: Message edited by: urbanX ]

Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"She has a daughter, why doesn't she stay with her?"

She is bedridden, which would mean she would need to be lifted quite a bit. That is extremely difficult even for healthy, strong people.

I will be very interested to see how this turns out. I don't really understand her lawsuit against the nursing home.

As for not wanting to leave Marin. Hmm. It is such a wealthy district, perhaps the level of care in the hospitals and nursing homes there is superior to surrounding areas? That would be my guess.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't really understand her lawsuit against the nursing home
Well, from what I understand from when I used to work in a nursing home, in order to take a nursing home patient to the hospital, you have to have one of three things:
1) request/permission from patient OR
2) Doctor's order OR
3) Request from power-of-attorney relative in charge of her care.

She is implying they had none of those things and just sent her without permission. That will be an interesting case, if that is so.

I think the thing about "Marin County" -- it says she has stayed in "several nursing homes" so it seems to me she has used up all the possibilities within that county, all of them now refuse to take her, so that is the deadlock.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

- posted      Profile for Lisha-princess   Email Lisha-princess         Edit/Delete Post 
I can understand her reluctance to leave her county. My grandfather is the same way--he'll never leave our county. He was born, raised, and lived here all his life. It's his home.
Posts: 119 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
My great aunt, who had lived in the Adirondacks al her life(89 years), moved down to Virginia to a nursing home, and died within a week. I know it would be the same for my grandmother if she moved down to a posh place in New York City near my aunt.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at this from another angle - who is paying for this? Are there other people, actual sick people, who need that bed? And is there only the one nursing home in Marin County? I find that hard to believe.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.