FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Passion of the Christ

Author Topic: Passion of the Christ
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you fans got the crucifixion ya wanted. Enjoy
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
That was a weird analogy to make.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I hated the film, personally. The dialogue was twisted, the torture was excessive, Latin was not spoken in Israel - it was Greek, and Aramaic grammar and tenses' constructions were very, very wrong.

The only true thing was that mumbling of Jesus on the cross, which I identified as Hebrew, and that was what was 'really' said up on the cross (according to Matthew).

JH

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, no. Not again.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
Mel is releasing a toned down version of his movie close to Easter this year in hopes of getting more people to come to it that didn't the first time due to the excessive violence and gore (which earned it the nickname "Jesus Chainsaw Massacre" by some critics). I believe this will also bring those folks back who saw it the first time but thought once was enough.

Here is a bit more.

I think this was necessary if it wants to become the new "Greatest Story Ever Told" or "Jesus of Nazareth" that people will watch on their televisions year to year. I think the uncut version would have a chilling effect on the whole "welcome to spring" aspect of Easter. Which might be his point, but I don't see a lot folks, especially parents of younger children, wanting to exchange easter bunny, egg hunts and cute new Sunday outfits for blood soaked agony.

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm all for derailing a thread.

BUT-- you guys realize that aspectre's original post has nothing to do with the 'Passion of the Christ' movie, right?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be rather interested to know why he chose that title for this thread.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Especially since it's offensive to both people who may appreciate that movie and people who find this to be senseless, heartbreaking crime. I don't appreciate the glibness, and then seeing that picture.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad I decided to read more of the thread before trustingly clicking on any links.

P.S. fil's link is really about the edited version.

[ February 18, 2005, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: mothertree ]

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ManlyMan
Member # 2167

- posted      Profile for ManlyMan   Email ManlyMan         Edit/Delete Post 
"I'd be rather interested to know why he chose that title for this thread."

Perhaps the suggestion is that the terrorist who died is really a Christ Figure?

Posts: 30 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Ryuko. It's offensive to movie fans, sure, but it's also inferring that Christians promote the agenda in Iraq.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that makes me doubly offended.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, no. Not again.
That's what I said!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.