FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Fantasy Baseball league on Yahoo!

Author Topic: Hatrack Fantasy Baseball league on Yahoo!
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve set up a Hatrack Fantasy Baseball league on Yahoo. It’s free. It’s fun. If you’ve never played it’s very easy and you really don’t have to do much if you don’t want to. Basically there is a draft and all the people in the league divide up MLB players onto teams of their own and score points based on their performance. First game is April 3rd, so there is plenty of time to get in, set up your pre-rankings of your players if you like, have the draft, and do any trading before the season starts. I left the league settings to the same as the public leagues. The only change I made was to add a couple of DL (disabled list) spots.
So here’s the email Yahoo usually sends out with an invite:

You have been invited to join jaytrek25's Custom League in Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Baseball.
In order to join the league, follow the link above or go to game front page, click the "Sign Up Now" or "Get Another Team" button and follow the links to "Join a Custom League". When prompted, enter the League ID# and password below.
League ID#: 52986
Password: osc
We will send you a confirmation with further details once you have completed the registration process.

[ April 05, 2005, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Jay ]

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually if you just click on the link you don't need to enter anything, but your team's info.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Can my husband join? He's not registered on Hatrack, but he's real (he's met Lady Jane, Coccinelle, Papa Moose, and rivka), and he'd like to play.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in. Civic Minded Five.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Since you and your husband are one I think it would be just like you were playing! Go for it!

Can his team name be ketchupking?

I hope to become real on March 13th at the Pittsburgh signing.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a huge baseball fan, but I will have to pass. I was in two fantasy football leagues this past season, and it just took forever for me to even remember to do it each week.

So this time around, I'm just going to enjoy the games...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Here’s the great thing about Yahoo Fantasy Sports. You could join and not do a thing and still win. I don’t recommend this approach and it’s not very fun. But, you can put as much or as little time as you like into it.
Plus we need some girls in the league too!
*twists arm*

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
What are the league rules for scoring? I only play SABR-stat based leagues.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm already in a league. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, what the hell, I'm in, DracoFire87...if only to see if I can get Jim Edmonds, Albert Pujols, and Ichiro on the same team.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Bok-
I set up a league on yahoo, 6 by 6, using rbi, runs, hr, GIDP, obp, slugging, and for pitchers, k/9, k/bb, era, whip, hr, and IP. Yahoo doesn't have enough sabermetric stats, so I pick a combination of "team oriented" and "sabermetrics"

If you're interested, let me know.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Scoring is rotisserie. With batting categories Runs, Home Runs, RBI (Runs Batted In), Stolen Bases, Average. And pitching categories Wins, Saves, Strikeouts (K), ERA (Earned Run Average), and WHIP (Walks and Hits per Innings Pitched). Pitchers don’t get batting stats and batters don’t get pitching stats. The positions are C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL, DL.
BN is bench and DL is Disabled list. P can be either type of pitcher and Util can be any kind of hitter.

For non fantasy players:
Rotisserie means that each of your players score you points in each category. Say you have Barry Bonds and since he can’t take his steroids this year he can’t hit very well. So your team batting average is down. If there are ten people in the league and your team average is the lowest cause of roids boy then you’d get 1 point. And whoever has the highest average would get 10 points. All the categories are added up and who ever has the most points wins. Cool? Make sense?

By the way, if you thinking of getting in and don’t know anything about baseball this is a neat fun way to learn. Don’t be scared about all the stats and positions. Sure it’s important, but you don’t have to know what you’re doing to do good. It’s easy and things make sense once you see it in action.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'll tell him he can join when he gets in for his "lunch". I did tell him his name should be ketchup prince consort, but he argued with me...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to point out that you really shouldn't play if you're not going to take it just a little bit seriously and no, you're not going win if you don't take at least a little care of your team. You don't have to scout the waiver wire every day, but doing some roster maintainence is a good idea. Remember you can set your roster in as many days in advance as you want, but it does get reset with any transactions your team makes and players on the real life DL aren't going to get you any stats.

Already having a league or two is not a reason to join, any real scouting cross applies and maintainence isn't much work. I had seven leagues last year, 4 full season, 3 midseason and I kept up with all of them.

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

He’s arguing with his queen? The nerve…. [ROFL]
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in. [Smile]
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, Jeff is going to join. [Smile]
Jay
Member # 5786

Ketchup Guzzlers! How funny! Good team name. I like it.

NFL – you’re right. Most likely you won’t win or even do well if you don’t do anything. But I have been in a league where a bunch of us worked our tails off, yet we lost to a guy who all he did was register. It happens. Rarely though.

Ryoko
Member # 4947

- posted      Profile for Ryoko   Email Ryoko         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I joined up. I haven't played fantasy baseball in a couple of years, so it looks like I've got some catching up to do...

Woo hoo!

Posts: 194 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Still have a few spots left
Jay
Member # 5786

We have 8 people in so far.
Public leagues have 12. We have enough for it to be fun, but if we get up to 10 it would be great.
Plus don’t you want the bragging rights to the Hatrack Fantasy Baseball Champ?

Heffaji
Member # 3669

- posted      Profile for Heffaji   Email Heffaji         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm devoting the mighty power of my mind to the greater good of fantasy baseball as well.
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

We have nine in now.

Here's the team names so far:

Space Pirate Ryoko
The SUPERMEN
SquirrellyBirds
Ketchup Guzzlers
The NinjaBirdmen
Mario Go Fish!
Civic Minded Five
Dragons
Ender

Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok..I just signed up, and finished my pre-rankings.

Team Name: LittleDocs

I know, not very original. But "LittleDoc's unbeatable awesomest team in the World" wouldn't fit.

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

I have a dilemma in another fantasy league. I've been offered a trade, Nomar for Shilling straight up. I'm interested, if only because I have Carlos Guillen who could fill the SS spot. My 2 starting pitchers could then be Randy Johnson and Curt Shilling. That's tempting but what I really need is a closer. Hmm, let me see if he has a top shelf closer he could let go of instead.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

I like Nomar but Shilling is an ace. Plus Nomar has this habbit of getting hurt. Take it!
TheTick
Member # 2883

That's why I'm nervous about Shilling. Then again, I have more starting pitching depth so if he's on the shelf at any time I've got options.
Jay
Member # 5786

With one day of games in here are the current standings:

Rank Team TOTAL
1 Space Pirate Ryoko 74.5
2 Civic Minded Five 71.5
3 The NinjaBirdmen 69
4 Ender 64
5 Ketchup Guzzlers 62.5
6 Mario Go Fish! 53.5
7 The SUPERMEN 48
8 Dragons 43.5
9 LittleDocs 37.5
10 SquirrellyBirds 26

What does this mean? Well, that we have one day of games in and it’s anyone’s game.

Let's go Bucs!

TheTick
Member # 2883

Man, I like my team. Looks like I might have some good offensive production, though I am a bit worried about my starting pitchers. Gonna be a fun year. [Smile]
TheTick
Member # 2883

1 Space Pirate Ryoko 82.5
2 Civic Minded Five 68
3 SquirrellyBirds 61
4 Ketchup Guzzlers 59
5 Mario Go Fish! 58.5
6 The NinjaBirdmen 51
6 Ender 51
8 Dragons 40.5
9 LittleDocs 39.5
10 The SUPERMEN 39

Anyone need a third baseman? Beltre is on the block, make an offer. Still not trading Rivera, though. [Wink]

Jay
Member # 5786

Strange season so far.
TheTick
Member # 2883

Really. It won't last, but it certainly is nice to see the Yanks at the bottom. How about those O's and Nationals? Fun stuff.
Jay
Member # 5786

Final standings:

Rank Team Points
1 Space Pirate Ryoko 73.5
2 Mario Go Fish! 68
3 Civic Minded Five 64
4 SquirrellyBirds 54
4 LittleDocs 54
6 The NinjaBirdmen 53.5
7 Ketchup Guzzlers 49
8 Ender 48
9 The SUPERMEN 47.5
10 Dragons 38.5

KetchupPrinceConsort
Member # 8047

- posted      Profile for KetchupPrinceConsort   Email KetchupPrinceConsort         Edit/Delete Post 
Are we doing this again this year? If so, will it be based on points again or head to head? Personally, I enjoy the head to head games better, but either way...
Posts: 137 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in if we do it again. I could have placed a lot better last year if I had payed more attention in the beggining of the season.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
This is odd. Jay's posts all have the apostrophes replaced with, well, whatever this is. . .

quote:
I’ve set up a Hatrack Fantasy Baseball league on Yahoo. It’s free. It’s fun. If you’ve never played it’s very easy and you really don’t have to do much if you don’t want to.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'll play this year, though I've never played before. Of course, that didn't keep me from winning the NCAA Tournament bracket last year. [Razz]
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.