FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Animals native to India a la Rudyard Kipling's "Mowgli"--a question

Author Topic: Animals native to India a la Rudyard Kipling's "Mowgli"--a question
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I am planning on using part of Kipling's story at our upcoming Cub Scout Blue and Gold Banquet. As I was reading it, I began thinking, "There aren't panthers or bears or wolves in India--are there?"

Can anyone help me out here? I have done internet searches and looked in wikipedia, but I can't find the answer. This is just curiosity, but if it is as inaccurate as I am thinking, it's going to always bother me. *shifts uncomfortably*

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Kipling did actually live in India, didn't he? Also, "Panther" is kind of a general purpose term for a big black cat, which is one of those things that evolution comes up with spontaneously with fair regularity. I think there were wolves and bears, but they didn't dress up in coconuts and sing very often.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Did he live in India? I haven't tried researching about his life yet. If he lived there, he might know much better.

I am not a fan of Disney's Jungle Book . [Razz] But one of these days I need to watch the whole set of cartoons Chuck Jones did out of the Jungle Book: Riki Tiki Tavi, The White Seal (I've seen recently and have the children's picture book of), Mowgli's Brothers? I don't know what the last one was called. I haven't seen it since I was a little kid.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently he was born there.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
a leopard is a panther (genus) and they can be found in the "black" variety.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard

wolves and bears appear to live pretty much everywhere, from europe to asia, and presumably that includes india.

edit: to add that the places where leopards live include india.

[ February 20, 2005, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: gnixing ]

Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
here's a bear in india

this site has lists an indian wolf (endangered species)

Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Thanks, y'all. I actually feel better now. [Smile]

Too bad about the Indian wolf being endangered though. [Frown]

[ February 20, 2005, 02:51 AM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard from many sources that Kipling's use of animals was generally very accurate, with some liberty taken for the story. I would take that to mean that he might be off on some behaviors, or in locales, but I doubt he used species that weren't in India at all.

I have a footnoted version (at school) that documents specific references to two famous works on Indian zoology that Kipling relied on. I'm sure those works contained ideas we've since discovered to be inaccurate; I'm equally sure that they weren't off by whole species.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Here's a jumping off point for some of his sources.

quote:
Bagh Van offers you a matchless opportunity to explore this superb slice of tiger habitat. Theses jungles were once celebrated by naturalists like Captain J.Forsyth in "Highlands of Central India", Robert Sterndale in "Camp Life on The Satpura Range",William Sterndale and of course by Rudyard Kipling. Though he never visited the region, Kipling set the magically evocative Jungle Book in the forests of the Pench Valley and the Seoni hill tracts based on accounts written by Sleeman, Forsyth, Sterndale and correspondence with locals.
I bet you can find some of these sources online.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget orangutans.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

[Wink]

Were there actually orangutans in the original story? Or was that a Disney thing?

Dagonee
Member # 5818

They weren't Orangs - he lists the species. I don't have my book with me, but it was monkies, not apes, I believe.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough, Orangs are the ONLY apes native to the Asian continent.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I thought they were limited to one island.

Now I'm going to be driven nuts until I can figure out why I thought that.

beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
Oddly enough, Orangs are the ONLY apes native to the Asian continent.
Huh. Color me clueless.

Hi, I'm Clueless. Who are you?

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"The orang-utan (Pongo pygmaeus) is the only existing Asian representative of the so-called great apes. Although in prehistoric times there were orang-utans on the Asian mainland, today they are found in just a few restricted areas of the islands of Borneo and Sumatra.
http://www.orangutans.com/index.html
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Thank you. That explains it.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

This thread reminds me, when Eve and I were still talking on the phone every night but hadn't gotten together since we met, we had a spirited discussion about Kipling's literary merit.

The next day, Eve sent me an email that said, "If you were my cat, I'd call you Rudyard, and I would laugh a lot."

That was the first inkling I had that we were heading into uncharted waters. Now, she does call me Rudyard sometimes, and she laughs a lot. I'm still not a cat, though, even when she makes me purr.

Dagonee

bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss] (to Dagonee)

[ February 20, 2005, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: bunbun ]

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
(to Dagonee)
Well, I should hope so.

*looks around jealously, tail twitching*

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Hah! Love is cute.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.