FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A couple of Music Questions

Author Topic: A couple of Music Questions
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
1. I recently started teaching a 7th grader. He has been playing for 6 months, but he doesn't really know where most of the notes are, or how to count constantly, or how to read his music well. He also isn't esp. bright(not to be harsh but he really doesn't pick up on things well) and has attention problems. I don't really know where to start with him. Suggestions?

2. There is a project for one of my classes that involves picking a theme song for Pride and Prejudice. I was thinking about playing something but I don't know if I have the nerve. If I back out does anyone have a suggestion?

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Think of creative ways to make him learn it. Think of games, or some sort of fun activity that will induce him to memorize the notes, and be able to count in rhythm. If you make it fun for him, he'll pick up on it faster. I know he's in seventh grade, but my piano teacher would still do this last year, when I was seventeen, so that doesn't matter! [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

That is a good idea. Thanks!
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

No problem. [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Give him (fun) note recognition worksheets to work on in the rest of the week and do rhythym exercises (clap backs?) for a short time in class every week, even if it's just quarter notes and half notes and things.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Is he good, bad, or average at math?
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Allegra, do you have a livejournal? There are several great communities from which I've gotten help with stuff like this scores of times. [Smile] music_education and musicmajors to name two.

Otherwise, I would focus a lot of time on helping him to acquire these skills before you killed yourself trying to teach him music. If his lessons are 30 minutes, spend at least 10 on theory and mini general music lessons. (keeping a steady beat etc. Listening activities and movement help a lot with this.)

I just came home from the All northwest MENC conference (and I saw the honor band, orchestra and choirs perform. Very cool) so I'm brimming with half-formed ideas that aren't very coherent. Sorry.

Google will send you to some great ideas for teaching basic music concepts.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

Thanks Narnia. I have a LJ so I will join those communities soon.

One of the restrictions I have with his lessons is I have to work on his orchestra parts. The end up taking up the whole lesson. They have been good at making his problems obvious.

Raia
Member # 4700

How long are lessons?

I would suggest taking a lesson off from orchestra pieces every so often. Just once in a while. And working on just one thing. Counting, or rhythm, or something. For the whole half hour. See where that gets you. [Smile]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes - I agree with everyone that said work with him on Rhythm. That is very important.

Not only because of what rhythm is in music, but because of what it is in the brain. My middle son that has dyslexia, etc. has improved dramatically in his thinking and attention skills through rhythm-type exercises. Rhythm exercises helps the "cross-over" parts of the brain interact. It will help him pick up the music better later.

Are there easy pieces that emphasize repetitive rhythms?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
(although somehow this thread makes me think of Mr. Holland's Opus - where he puts the helmet on the bass drum player and hits him in the head in rhythm to teach him to play)
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.