FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » School application: Please help, o mighty writers

Author Topic: School application: Please help, o mighty writers
Zemra
Member # 5706

- posted      Profile for Zemra   Email Zemra         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to apply to pharmacy schools for next year. I have a few schools on the list, but I really want to go to the University of Utah, so that I don't have to move. There's only one problem. The U of U still requires the PCAT for admission. Everything on my application is excellent: grades, work experience, volunteer experience, extracuricular activities, clubs, I grew up in a foreign country and I'm trilingual. But my PCAT score was terrible. They tend to go for people whose scores are at least in the 80th percentile. I've taken the test twice and managed to pull out a 41st percentile.

I know I'm not going to erase this mark, but I'm hoping to spin it in a way that will emphasize other strengths over this one weakness. It's a long shot, but I wrote a note to put in with my application that is my best attempt to put a favorable spin on a bad score. I've posted this note:

http://home.comcast.net/~rimmer2112/score.doc

If you don't want to open that or don't have Word, here's what it says:

quote:
To Whom It May Concern:

I received a transcript of my second and latest PCAT score in the mail today, and am having a copy mailed to you. My scores for this second test are as follows:

Verbal Ability: 16
Biology: 52
Reading Comprehension: 71
Quantitative Ability: 33
Chemistry: 48
Composite: 41

Although this puts me in a range comparable with the national average, I realize that this is still significantly lower than many other applicants. In interpreting these scores, I’d like you to please consider the following facts.

First, up until this test I had absolutely no experience with standardized tests. Going to high school in a foreign country, I’ve never taken the SAT, ACT, ASVAB, AP tests, or any of the other standardized tests that American students are so familiar with. Further, although I grew up speaking two languages, I was limited largely to conversational English and never had a chance to study English literature in as much depth as many American students. Although I comprehend written and spoken English very well, my vocabulary isn’t as strong as that of many people who grew up in this country.

That being the case, please consider how much I learned from the experience of taking this test twice. You’ll notice upon receipt of my transcript that my first PCAT composite score was 27. Although this was only the second standardized test I’d ever taken, I was able to improve by 14 percentage points, which is greater than a 50% improvement on my previous score. Also, while I may be unfamiliar with the standardized test format, you’ll notice from my college transcripts that I perform significantly above average on nearly all of my class examinations. My grades in Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics should demonstrate that, if there was a struggle, it was not with the subjects but merely the format of the test.

I have a firm grasp of the concepts that I’ve studied in my pre-pharmacy courses, and I am very confident in my ability to use this knowledge in my professional education and future career.

Thank you for your time.

If anyone can read it and tell me what you think, I'd be very grateful. If there's anything you'd change, please let me know. Or if you think it's okay, a kind word might help me sleep better.

Thanks very much.

[ February 22, 2005, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: Zemra ]

Posts: 69 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frosted Pheonix
Member # 7419

- posted      Profile for Frosted Pheonix   Email Frosted Pheonix         Edit/Delete Post 
IMO, I think it was written very well, and wish you good luck with the application. ^_^
Posts: 5 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Zemra - I'm unsure of the politics of sending an apologist letter along with your application (thought it seems like something I would do), but the letter itself is very well written. And it seems a reasonable excuse for having a score that would not correctly reflect your abilities.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I would advise against using contractions in formal writing. Some places do not really care, but others do. In the paragraph beginning with "First", I believe the word "Further" in the third sentence should be "Furthermore". The ASVAB is an Armed Services test as opposed to an academic test, so you might consider taking that out.

Is there no way you can take the PCAT again?

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the letter is great. I've never worked in an admissions office before, but I have evaluated scholarship applications for my college's alumni association. Letters like this do help to a certain extent.

quote:
Although I comprehend written and spoken English very well, my vocabulary isn’t as strong as that of many people who grew up in this country.
One thing I look for in these kind of letters is whether the author has taken positive steps to improve his flaws. Maybe you can enroll in classes to enhance your language skills and mention those classes in your letters.

Good luck! [Smile]

[ February 22, 2005, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.