FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Magic Eraser

Author Topic: Magic Eraser
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the coolest thing since sliced bread!

I don't know what it's made of. It feels like viscous foam when wet, yet wears through skin like sandpaper. It's weird but it is terrific at getting stubborn stains off of just about any hard surface. All you need is the Magic Eraser and water.

I just scrubbed my kitchen floor, the doors and walls and it took me about a third of the time it usually takes.

Yep, it's cool.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I wants one.

I signed up for a free sample, but it hasn't gotten here yet.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

Sorry, I know this sounds like a commercial, but I just couldn't contain myself.

I admit it, I love housecleaning aids.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
wears through skin like sandpaper
So are your hands OK after all that scrubbing??
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what rubber gloves are for, right?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless it wears through the gloves, too. If this is a magic eraser, is that like a universal solvent? A universal scrubbie?
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

Hi Plaid [Smile]
The first time I used one, it took a couple of days for the tenderness and redness in my fingers to go away. Ever since then, like KQ says, I've used rubber gloves.

So far, so good, with the rubber gloves.

I would be really interested to know what these things are made of.

[ February 23, 2005, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: LadyDove ]

just-a-min
Member # 7308

- posted      Profile for just-a-min   Email just-a-min         Edit/Delete Post 
I wet down my magic eraser and go through the house playing "attack the spot." It's fun because I vanquish most pesky marks, stains, buildups, residues and scorched grease. I was was so so excited about it that for about a week after I shared my enthusiasm with whoever I thought might be interested.
[Party]
I haven't had any problems with it attacking my skin. Maybe I am much more caloused. The wierdest thing about the magic eraser is that it disintegrates as you use it, so it's kinda like a pencil eraser.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I admit it, I love housecleaning aids.
Didn't the Supreme Court just turn down a case involving Alabama making those illegal.

Oh, wait.

That wasn't Housecleaning aids.

It was some other class of devices.

Um, never mind.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I love housecleaning products, too. Buying them, rather. Using them isn't quite as charming. [Wink]
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, my introduction to the Magic Eraser stands alongside the moonlit night of July 24, the work of Mozart, a certain diamond necklace, and the sharing of childhood secrets, as a piece of getting to know my true love, and probably the piece most likely to be related to grandchildren on our knee. [Big Grin]

On her second visit, she left behind a toothbrush, a razor, and a Magic Eraser. [Blushing] sigh!

[edit to make it clear she herself didn't need cleaning. On the contrary, I believe she thought my apartment could use all the help it could get.]

[ February 23, 2005, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: John Van Pelt ]

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
How well does it work on mildew/mold?

[ February 23, 2005, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag: I'll go check.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought one and used it to remove mildew from my bathroom walls. It worked extremely well at removing visible mildew, although it did return after a couple of months... but it's very wet here. (and I don't recall it being rough on my hands at all)
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Household cleaning products? Huh?
What is that?
Is this another one of those secrets no one tells us bachelors about?

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

I think it must depend on the surface. I have some discoloration on some shower caulk, but I'm not sure if it's mold or age... the Magic Eraser doesn't do much for it. If I really care, I need to use some of those chemical sprays.

I just used it on the white exterior case of a boombox of mine, that long ago had blue paint spattered on it during a house project. Not only did it take off the grime around the controls, but to my surprise it took away the spatters.

I think it is a micro-weave or sponge, with abrasive qualities similar to the finest pumice used in polishing, but also micro surface-adaptive qualities, like a brush but barely above molecular scales, permitting it to scour the crevices of non-smooth surfaces like painted walls.

It's also AADD-friendly. [Wink]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I'll give it a try and see what happens.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Does it get Sharpie off matte-finish paint?
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

quote:
Does it get Sharpie off matte-finish paint?
I'll ask Sharpie. She recently had to try that, I believe.

quote:
I think it is a micro-weave or sponge, with abrasive qualities similar to the finest pumice used in polishing, but also micro surface-adaptive qualities, like a brush but barely above molecular scales, permitting it to scour the crevices of non-smooth surfaces like painted walls.

Or, it could be the latest commercial derivative of Dune spice.
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
I used one to remove all kinds of graffiti from the play equipment at our local park.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
BASF worked with P&G to develop the melamine foam behind the new Mr. Clean Magic Eraser--a soft cleaning pad that removes surface stains like crayon and scuff marks with water alone.

According to P&G's Grime, the foam works on two levels: Macroscopically, it conforms to most surfaces to reach dirt that ordinary cleaning substrates can't. Microscopically, the surface of the foam consists of tiny cells and hooks that penetrate the surface being scrubbed, breaking up and removing dirt. Latella adds that the foam's functionality stems from both its composition and its unique manufacturing process.

(from here)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, that was a really cool article. Thanks for posting it!

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

Thanks rivka!
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I saw the title and thought there was a follow-up series to "The Magic Schoolbus"
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Articles like that are why I'm occasionally sad that I dropped my ACS membership. Not that I managed to plow through much of each week's C&E News anyway . . .

But yeah, cool product. I got one when they were practically-free-with-coupon, but that was just before I moved and now I can't find the darn thing. I want to try it!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.