FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Okay, It's Official (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Okay, It's Official
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, a lot of puns can be contained in a single thread, whereas posters of Dobies tend to create a new thread per pun.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
There are now two dobies of this thread. Both of them clearly proving my point, as neither are remotely funny.

The problem is, you can have 50% of the board feel that the onslaught of dobies are bringing the overall quality down, but they have absolutely no power to prevent the other 50% from making them. Heck, it could be 90%/10%, and those 10% still have the ability to muck the place up with a page full of one-post threads.

It feels like the 'rash of dobies' has been since I started participating again. Shouldn't it have blown over by now?

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, a lot of puns can be contained in a single thread, whereas posters of Dobies tend to create a new thread per pun.
That is an exellent point. For the most part, puns are easily avoidable. Dobies ugly up the entire board.

[ February 23, 2005, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: AntiCool ]

Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
We could try this again....
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Dobies are more humorous than practically all puns (in other words, barely humorous at all), and those are encouraged on this board."

Luckily, most puns are confined to a thread or two. Whereas Dobies, by definition, create a new thread of spam.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Which was a brilliant idea, Moose.

I guess you just don't get the exposure you would if you made a brand-new thread, and to be honest I've always thought of the non-funny dobies as attention whoring.

Feyd - Why on earth did you ask if I remembered you, you lug?

[ February 23, 2005, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Moose, that's definately the one I was thinking of. My dobie(s) are isolate in there, thank God.

And Ralphie, is "Because it's been a rough week and I needed an ego boost" a valid answer?

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There are now two dobies of this thread.
If it makes you feel better, I stopped myself from doing "Okay, it's Orificial" for fear of getting your boot up my ass.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Brings a tear of joy to my eye, Frisco.

While I know my manner has been abrasive, I'm willing to be considered rude, having thrown my weight around, unnecesarily aggressive or just a bad bad meanie if people pause and reconsider before spamming the heck out of the board.

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and my other comments on this thread:

I agree with the first post, since I was later listed as one of the five. *smile*

I agree with Squick's reasoning.

I'd add to Tick's guidelines that if a Dobie thread has any hope of being humorous, it has to be posted within a certain timeframe of the original thread, though I'm not sure what that timeframe might be. I've seen threads get bumped after a month, and then Dobied -- impossible to be funny at that point. If a thread isn't on the first page, it's too late. A second Dobie is invariably unfunny, as I believe there's a mathematical limitation that x<y => H(Dx)>H(Dy).

Icky, thanks for remembering that one. I think I'm proudest of that one and "Hatrack Infinity."

Architraz, I did in fact consider the "Feyd" Dobie, but it was just too late (a la Tick's and my guidelines).

The dynamics of Dobies and those of landmarks have some interesting similarities.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
While I know my manner has been abrasive, I'm willing to be considered rude, having thrown my weight around, unnecesarily aggressive or just a bad bad meanie if people pause and reconsider before spamming the heck out of the board.
I am willing to do this for other issues. I don't mind dobies - they are either funny and they register, or they are not funny and are therefore noise. Something only registers if it is eloquent, funny, or outstanding in some other way, and dobies never reach that bar. I just don't see them.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

I think the more sensitive an issue potentially is, the more careful I become.

Dobies are in the shallow end of the pool. Anyone who has an emotional attachment to them needs to get out more.

Ralphie
Member # 1565

Now it's three dobies for this thread.

Good thing people are such anarchists, or we might lose out on that precious, precious spam.

Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, I guess I need to stay in more...
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Well, I'm done waging this battle. Hopefully two pages of anti-dobie sentiment will help the board out. There's really no reason to keep harping on the subject, as people ultimately do whatever they want to do.

After about a day when people with an anarchist nature have lost interest I hope that the pendulum will sing away from half the front page being filled with dobies to only one or two here and there. If not, I'll just go back into hibernation mode, and nothing really is lost.

At least I know I'm not the only one who hates 'em. [Smile]

[ February 23, 2005, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
The board often emmulates IRL gatherings. I would equate the present spate of dobies to hysterical laughter that is self-reinforcing. The original is mildly funny but then the laughter triggers more laughter and eventually no one is even laughing about the original impetus.

Edit for grammar. Thanks to LadyJane and apologies for editing her quote.

[ February 23, 2005, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the laughter triggered more laughter and eventually no one is even laughing about the original impetus
Oh, I love that.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd put excessive bad dobieing low on the list of things that could be improved at Hatrack.

Way at the top would be broad, sweeping classifications and generalizations of people with no backup.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

It's certainly less spiteful and denigrating.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

One of the things I love about Hatrack is that, while most of us think in terms of broad, sweeping generalizations simply out of lack of familiarity, Hatrack as a forum helps us redefine our concepts through conversation. While sometimes those conversations are heated because we form emotional attachments to our opinions, often times it's through those debates we realize - at the time or in retrospect - where we could have been more yielding, and where we were flat-out wrong. It also helps us solidify what we really believe, and test the metal of our own dogma.

I like to think I've come away with a far broader look at most things outside my sphere than I did coming in. But I don't get offended at broad, sweeping generalizations when they are directed at me. I always hope that, with a soft touch in those situations, I can guide others with their definitions like I've been guided.

I just wish there wasn't so much spam so I could find those conversations easier.

[ February 23, 2005, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Can soemone give me an example of a doby? is it something from harry potter? and..... in the mean time..... DOWN WITH THE [INSERT EXASPERATION HERE]!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

Look at the three topics on the top of the page. They give examples of dobies. Normally a link is included.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
dobie dobie dobie dobie dobie dobie dobie dobie dobie dobie dobie dobie REAL THREAD REAL THREAD
dobie dobie dobie dobie dobie dobie dobie dobie dobie dobie dobie dobie REAL THREAD REAL THREAD
TROLL it's a TROLL! Oooooh It's a Troll.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralphie, that pretty much sums up how I feel about Hatrack. My take on many issues is different now because of Hatrack.

As for the broad, sweeping generalizations, you're a broad. Why aren't you sweeping?

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Pixiest: [ROFL]

Though I guess in an odd way that could be considered dobiesque in nature.

I've been a sometime offender with the dobies. But I have to say there was a considerable cessation of them for several months, it seemed. For a while my only real reason to post dobies was to annoy pat. [Cry]

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trodgor the Burly-nater
Member # 6922

- posted      Profile for Trodgor the Burly-nater   Email Trodgor the Burly-nater         Edit/Delete Post 
I like dobies.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, that wasn't me. [Angst]
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There have been, maybe, five people in the history of Hatrack that could work a successful dobie. They have not been making dobies for a long time.

You are not one of them. For the love of all that is good and holy in the universe, please. freaking. stop.

Okay, I will.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
[Dont Know]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trodgor the Burly-nater
Member # 6922

- posted      Profile for Trodgor the Burly-nater   Email Trodgor the Burly-nater         Edit/Delete Post 
You're right. This isn't you. [Smile]

*burly-nates pooka with blast of garlicky breath*

Posts: 8 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

:flexes magically bestowed burly muscles:
thanks!

Trodgor the Burly-nater
Member # 6922

No prob. [Smile]

The only side-effect is, of course, that you will now stink of garlic.

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Hatrack Infinity.

And I'm chuffed Icarus remembered God Cod OSC.

But apart from that - I'm jumping on the bandwagon. This is getting ridiculous.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
I miss Dobie's brand of pun. He was an original and I think that it is testament to the quality of his jokes that we still call a spoof thread a Dobie.

That said, I think that one of the reasons they were so funny is that they were few and far between. Timing IS everything.

And a big consideration for me, was the fact that "Dobie's" were the only thing he did. If I had the time for a light chuckle, I would read one of his threads, if I wanted to be informed, I'd read something else.

I think that one of the things that bothers me is that, since I get very little time to read the 'Rack these days, I have to decide where to spend my time. If I get used to someone always making Dobie's, I miss the truly intelligent and insightful things they have to say because I don't take time to open their threads ::shrugs:: My loss I guess.

Maybe we could have a shared name to put all "Dobie's" under? That way, we could easily distinguish between content and fluff. What do you all think?

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
What's with all the dobies?
June 22nd is Dobie Day! You're all way too early!

[Monkeys]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And, yet, if my officious manner is the end to this particular rash of dobies, I'll have felt it was worth while.

Are you this sensitive in real life? [Razz] [Smile]

I want to point out that I attempted to edit my post to add a smiley to indicate that it was dry wit, but the internet connection went down at work while I was editing it. [Smile]

Was kind of frustrating to sit there trying to get back into the thread. [Mad]

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"broad, sweeping classifications and generalizations"

Yeah, but you have to understand, Dag, that this is your personal hangup. If some people are Grammar Nazis, you're a Generalization Nazi; it may, to generalize a bit, stem from your background as a Catholic lawyer. [Smile]

I mean, this is SO your personal hot-button issue that the last time somebody made a ridiculous, sweeping generalization in my presence here in MeatSpace, I actually paused for a moment because I expected you to swoop in at any second, possibly wearing a cape and carrying a briefcase, to point out how what they were saying was obviously not true in EVERY case, and could in fact be accurately called a gross distortion. Sadly, you did not appear.

[ February 23, 2005, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"broad, sweeping classifications and generalizations"

Yeah, but you have to understand, Dag, that this is your personal hangup. If some people are Grammar Nazis, you're a Generalization Nazi; it may, to generalize a bit, stem from your background as a Catholic lawyer.

But is should be everybody's issue. Anyone who doesn't hate broad, sweeping generalizations is Satan's spawn.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I actually paused for a moment because I expected you to swoop in at any second, possibly wearing a cape and carrying a briefcase, to point out how what they were saying was obviously not true in EVERY case, and could in fact be accurately called a gross distortion.
I would like to see this happen. Dagonee, please start lurking around the outskirts of my conversations, prepared for people to make generalizations. With a cape.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
I want to point out that I attempted to edit my post to add a smiley to indicate that it was dry wit, but the internet connection went down at work while I was editing it. [Smile]

Was kind of frustrating to sit there trying to get back into the thread. [Mad]

Oh, man. One little smiley, a whole world 'o difference.

It's good to know you're not just some little sissy boy. I totally was going to give you wedgies and monkey bumps to toughen you up, and now I won't have to work for it! And as every one knows, I hate work. (Maybe a monkey bump or two for show.)

ElJay
Member # 6358

Better not threaten noogies, Ralphie. If you're both standing, I don't think you could reach.

Edit: [Smile]

[ February 23, 2005, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Ten bucks says Toni could get I3 prone or in another noogiable position within fifteen seconds. [Smile]
Ralphie
Member # 1565

I have my talents.
ElJay
Member # 6358

Tom, if there was any way to prove it I would so take you on that bet.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I suppose if I3 were gay, madly infatuated with another Hatracker, or equipped with some kind of hydraulic knee/back brace, it might take her a bit longer. She'd have to subcontract the thing out.
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Those hydraulic knee/back braces are a sumbitch.

Otherwise, I wouldn't be worried.

[ February 23, 2005, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
Bring it!
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

He's too eager.

I give him ten seconds or less.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But is should be everybody's issue. Anyone who doesn't hate broad, sweeping generalizations is Satan's spawn.

Dagonee

LOL! Really!
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

What interests me is that there will probably be a West Coast gathering sometime where all this will be tested. I hope I'm there. With popcorn.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.