FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » You've definitely had too much Hatrack when . . . (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: You've definitely had too much Hatrack when . . .
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
1. After any minor day-to-day event, you begin composing your Hatrack post about it.

2. That team of experts who have taught you everything? Well, as far as you know, their names really are Mack, Icarus, and Papa Moose.

3. Three or more Jatraqueros have featured in a single dream of yours.

4. Turns out all three Jatraqueros were just the screen names of one landmark-dodger.

5. It's a recurring dream.

6. The name you're posting under now was created to avoid your landmark.

7. And you're coming close to a landmark with that name too.

8. If you've ever, ever been to a Hatrack convention.

9. If, when asked to list your best friends, Hatrack screen names (note screen names, not real ones) appear in the top 3.

10. If you've told a long, convoluted anecdote about a dobie chain to a coworker and tried to ward off the odd looks with a nonchalant "It's an online book club. Cross my heart."

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Heheheheh... love it.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
1. After any minor day-to-day event, you begin composing your Hatrack post about it.
Ha... I so do this one! [Big Grin]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
11. You boss tells you to either stop posting on Hatrack during business hours or lose your job.

12. And you have to think about it.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

13. Which is why you must now sell the last of your stolen office supplies for Internet access.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
14. You've just goten home after being away from your fiancé for three days and instead of sitting on the couch snuggling you're sitting with your backs to one another both posting on Hatrack.

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

[ February 23, 2005, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Well, as far as you know, their names really are Mack, Icarus, and Papa Moose."

Bah. Anyone who's had too much Hatrack knows all three of these people by their real names.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

Hm. I need more Hatrack.
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, as far as you know, their names really are Mack, Icarus, and Papa Moose
15. The above sentence looks weird to you because the name 'mack' is capitalized in it.
Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I know TomDavidson's real name.

(It's Cecil.)

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

But, but, but . . . I don't actually post all of them!

quote:
8. If you've ever, ever been to a Hatrack convention.

[Razz] You're just jealous.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
If you've ever posted on Hatrack about minor day-to-day events while at a Hatrack convention.

Not that anyone in here is guilty of that...

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Not at all. Nor are pics posted while said events occur.

and if you have a panel of experts, if tom isn't on that panel, it isn't a panel of experts.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Annie, I never noticed how low your member number is. And I think that's way cool.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
15. The above sentence looks weird to you because the name 'mack' is capitalized in it.
...Guilty as charged.
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Why, thank you Trish. I'm actually older than that even but I resisted signing up for the "new forum" for a couple months out of sadness for the loss of the old one.

I took a 3 1/2 year hiatus, though, when I didn't have a computer, so I'm not a total oldbie.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
16. Your home network bootstraps itself into an AI just to have an intervention with you after you click "reload" 13,000 times on "Today's Active Topics"

[ February 24, 2005, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
17. You're about to tell your wife about a conversation you were having that day, and then you remember that it was a Hatrack thread and you were just lurking in it.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
18. You tell about those conversations, anyway, even after the realization.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
19. You're incredibly busy with Hatrack "projects" and "discussions" and trips, and they're starting to interfere with your real life.

20. In fact, they're starting to conflict with each other on occasion.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
21. You keep starting more of them because, hey, you don't have anything else going on in your life, anyway.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

22. You're disappointed in your kid because it's been ages since she said anything cute, so you make stuff up for the cute kids threads.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Eek!] Blasphemy! [Wink] [Razz]
Morbo
Member # 5309

23. You think posts are aimed squarely at you, even when they aren't.

[ [Wink] kq]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I didn't think that. I thought you meant you did things like that. [Razz]
rivka
Member # 4859

*giggle* First he'd have to make up the kid. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that IS the fun part, rivka...

When it is past 2 am, and you are still up posting...not because you really have anything to say but because if you go to bed you might miss something on Hatrack....

Night all!

[ February 24, 2005, 02:09 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yeah, so I vaguely recall, Kwea. [Wink]
Raia
Member # 4700

#?: You have a teacher named Rivka, and you cannot, for the life of you, write her name with a capital "R" on the first try. (Yes, this happened to me last semester!)
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
17. You're about to tell your wife about a conversation you were having that day, and then you remember that it was a Hatrack thread and you were just lurking in it.
Guilty [Blushing] --except the wife part!! [Big Grin]

edit: hey that's 200 posts!!Does that count as a landmark??? [Big Grin]

[ February 24, 2005, 06:52 AM: Message edited by: babager ]

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
No.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I don't think I know Papa Moose's real name.

Mmm. . . maybe I do. Not sure.

It's not Widdershins, is it?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
26. You sign out of Hatrack because you have been on for a while, but before you leave the computer, you sign back on because someone must have posted something in those two seconds.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

27. The largest group of people you have ever known both like and understand your puns.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Like may be too strong of a word, Liz....
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Speak for yourself, punhater!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
26. You sign out of Hatrack because you have been on for a while, but before you leave the computer, you sign back on because someone must have posted something in those two seconds.
You sign out? [Confused]
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Some of us (naughty us !) check on Hatrack at work. So yes, in that case, you need to sign out. [Smile]

[ February 24, 2005, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I see.... Yeah, I guess I do sign out when I'm on at school.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Besides... you just can't have too much Hatrack.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"Like may be too strong of a word, Liz...."

Remember, you'll be eating my food in two days, K-Man.

As for signing out, what I really meant was just getting off the computer, sorry.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
MidnightBlue, I had the same thought.

You SIGN OUT?

It's more like, you know you've had too much hatrack when you accidentally hit "log out" instead of a link, try to log back in, can't remember your password or the email you used to originally sign up, have to register a new account, use the new name, and have everyone assume you are avoiding a landmark.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My husband reminded me I needed to post this one:

28. You are half asleep, in bed, talking to your spouse, and say something abhorrent, followed not only by a little shudder, but the word *shudder*. Including thinking the little *s that denote action. [Blushing]

My husband looked at me and said, "Did you just say 'shudder'?" at the same time I realized I'd said it out loud.

Annie
Member # 295

29. You're teaching the Sunday School lesson at church and, as an example you say "I was having this conversation with some friends of mine..." and your roommate wryly interjects - "Was this an actual conversation or did it happen on an internet bulletin board?"

(true story)

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I, uh, do that all the time: "My friends and I were talking about this the other day. Someone said..." (The "someone" is because people would look at me strangely if I said their screennames.) [Blushing]
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
When someone says something amusing, you say LOL. The actual letters L.O.L. out loud.

I've done this. More than once.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I did that a couple of times, too. But the "shudder" was worse.
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When someone says something amusing, you say LOL. The actual letters L.O.L. out loud.

The only problem is, when I read those letters, I actually pronounce them out. I can't seem to remember it's 3 seperate letters and not "lol". Now THAT would be embarrassing if you said that.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky4
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for Lucky4   Email Lucky4         Edit/Delete Post 
30. You laugh out loud and your roommate calls from the other room, "What's going on with your science fiction website today?"
Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

That, or you mention to your roommate "one of my friends said..." and she says "oh, is this one of your little online group?"
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.